VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
2,891 Posts
hardware is exactly the same, but the iPhone uses 2100/850, Telstra is 850, and Optus uses 2100/900, so on Optus the iPhone will drop to 2.5G in regional areas. Not sure what Voda use in regional areas.
IIRC, 850&900 use conflicting frequencies for the uplink so no phones have both.
Something along those lines anyway, I don't do mobile stuff at work.

· Banned
2,574 Posts
Re: (mikinoz)

Hardware is the same, they're telling u porky pies.
Telstra's network is much better in terms of coverage and speed however.
oh and whatever carrier sells it to you it'll be locked to their network, which either requires a payoff to the carrier or jailbreaking the iphone to unlock, as said earlier, better to buy from an apple store outright, wear a scarf.

Modified by Saxton Hale at 2:40 AM 3-22-2010

· Registered
21,722 Posts
Re: (MickyD)

Quote, originally posted by MickyD »
there are really only two major carriers that use 850, Telstra and AT&T/Cingular

When my mate was running strategy at Telstra, and he was discussing this with me, I told him to recommend to the board not to go with 850 as the hardware will be very limited, and Australian mobile market is very much driven by hardware. He made that recommendation, but when Sol came on board, 850 went ahead anyway. Telstra lost a lot of market share as it took the likes of Nokia 12-18 months to come up with the goods. Telstra is very lucky that Apple supported 850 network because of AT&T!

· Registered
694 Posts
Re: (Tank Engine)

Quote, originally posted by Tank Engine »

How much $$$ does Apple rape you for over the counter?
I feel like I need to be 40kg lighter and wear jeans around my thighs to walk into an Apple Store. On wait, there's the internet, right?

In the words of black books:
"Excuse me. There seems to be some sort of mistake. I bought, a drink and some popcorn and now I have no money"

· Registered
20,865 Posts
Re: (WAY)

Yeah I remember back in the day being beaten up at least twice a week by enterprise customers (because most are Telstra subscribers) asking "why don't you guys have 850 handsets?! Everything on offer right now sux!"
I couldn't tell them the truth about the matter hahaha. I think Sol was hedging his bets on his mates back in America having the volumes to drive manufacturers to make 850 handsets, so he could jump on board with them and tack his orders on the back of theirs... That kind of worked I guess, but I seem to recall him making some flamboyant statements about how Telstra were going to sell their own handsets (made by ZTE or someone) and that obviously never happened all.

Modified by IML337 at 10:38 PM 3-22-2010

· Registered
21,722 Posts
Re: (IML337)

It did happen. That was all they had for the first year or so. Unfortunately for him, he didn't understand the Australian mobile market. This market is very much driven by handset, and how many of us here for example would buy a crappy ZTE flip phone that is branded as Telstra?

· Banned
2,574 Posts
Re: (WAY)

Quote, originally posted by WAY »
This market is very much driven by handset, and how many of us here for example would buy a crappy ZTE flip phone that is branded as Telstra?

I think you speak phone fanboy nonsense.
3 had THE WORST handsets on the face of the planet when they launched and for a year or 2 afterwards.
They still had people out the door to buy them cause they were cheeeeeeeeaaaap. Thats the only reason Telstra were pushing that turd up hill, if youre gonna use the most expensive network, you can prolly afford to spring for the handset you want.

· Registered
20,865 Posts
Re: (Saxton Hale)

3 sold a load of those phones because the network access was CHEAP - you're right
but Telstra sold those ZTE turd handsets because there were simply no other 850 devices in the matket and they had no choice. This was all pre iPhone, when Nokia and Sony Ericsson devices were still what the majority wanted to buy

· Registered
21,722 Posts
Re: (Saxton Hale)

Quote, originally posted by Saxton Hale »

I think you speak phone fanboy nonsense.
3 had THE WORST handsets on the face of the planet when they launched and for a year or 2 afterwards.
They still had people out the door to buy them cause they were cheeeeeeeeaaaap. Thats the only reason Telstra were pushing that turd up hill, if youre gonna use the most expensive network, you can prolly afford to spring for the handset you want.

bwahahaha. You telling me I'm wrong about this is like me telling you don't know how to make a cabinet. You are partly right, pricing is a huge factor. But 3 selling a truckload is all relative. Those numbers 3 sells would only be a blip compared to what Telstra sold because they were coming from a marketshare of zero and what is truckload for 3 is not the same as truckload for Telstra.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.