VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have a 91' Corrado G60. Lately every time I start my car, the coolant light starts flashing within a minute and stays flashing. No beeps!! I checked the coolant level, topped it off. No good. To make things worse, my temp gauge needle is not moving at all. So I have a couple of questions:
1. Where is the temp sensor in a 91' Corrado? What is a recommended replacement?
2. What is the flashing coolant light mean? Is the engine overheating? If so, where do i start? What should I check first in the cooling system?
Btwn, the fuel gauge is working, so I am guessing atleast it is not an instrument cluster disconnect (for temp gauge).
If the above issues have already been addressed in prior threads, would it be possible to point me them? I searched the entire forum and came up empty. Sorry to bring this all up again.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
Re: Temp Gauge Broken/Coolant Light Flashing (vwG60nu)

On the front of head is a black coolant flange. There are two senders in that flange. The blue one is for the digi ECU. The other one is for the instrument cluster.
You'll get the flashing coolant light for (a) low coolant level or (b) an overheating condition. I would suspect the former, since your coolant gauge is not moving, and it's unlikely you're overheating the car in only one minute.
The following might be a good place to start:
1. Connector for coolant level sensor firmly connected to overflow reservoir?
2. Disconnect the connector in step 1. Jumper the two pins. Does the warning light go out? If so, your problem is with the coolant level sensing system.
3. Disconnect the connector on the coolant temp sender. With someone else sitting in the car, momentarily jumper the connector. Does the coolant gauge start to rise? If so, your gauge is good. If you have a multimeter, check the resistance of the sender itself and let us know what you see. **Don't let the gauge max out during this check. If it does, you need to remove the instrument cluster and manually move the coolant gauge needle up until it clicks to reset it. This may be why your coolant gauge isn't working.
4. If your coolant gauge is working, and the coolant temp sender is bad, you probably will not get a coolant light (unless the sender is completely shorted out, i.e. ~ 0 ohms). You can completely disconnect the coolant sender on the front of the engine. This alone will not cause a coolant warning light.
Let us know what you see.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Temp Gauge Broken/Coolant Light Flashing (jmaddocks)

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the input. I did step 1 and 2. I jumpered the two pins in the coolant level sensor and the warning light went out. So, I guess then part of the issue is with the coolant level sensing system.
For step 3 and 4, I am not sure where the coolant temp sender is. Could you describe where I can find the coolant temp sender? (Sorry I am little slow
)
Thanks.
Park

· Registered
11,687 Posts
Re: Temp Gauge Broken/Coolant Light Flashing (Noobercorn)

Quote, originally posted by Noobercorn »
blue sensor........
not EXACTLY the pic, but you get the idea.....
edit:
i felt bad for not having the EXACT pic and/or part #, so here.......
http://www.pap-parts.com/prodi...1%20A

Modified by Noobercorn at 10:07 PM 3-20-2008

blue is only for ecu . black is for cluster

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Completed step 3 and 4. I jumpered the temp sender connector (black) and the coolant gauge starts to rise. I measured the resistance across and it was abt 10 ohms.
So as to summarize step 1/2, the coolant warning light goes out when I jumper the coolant level sensor connector.
Guess then I will replace the expansion tank and replace both the temp sensors (w. new O rings). Just one question. I found two temp sensors for the corrado:
http://www.pap-parts.com/prodi...1%20A
http://www.pap-parts.com/prodi...9%20A

Is there a difference between the two? Which one should I use?
Between the temp sensor for the esu and the temp sensor for the cluster, do they both use the same type of temp sensor?
Thanks for all the help with resolving the issue. Guess I will start a new thread for the dropping coolant level.

· Registered
11,687 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwG60nu »

Is there a difference between the two? Which one should I use?
Between the temp sensor for the esu and the temp sensor for the cluster, do they both use the same type of temp sensor?
Thanks for all the help with resolving the issue. Guess I will start a new thread for the dropping coolant level.

you need the blue and black one . Im me and i will sell you the right ones you need http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Temp Gauge Broken/Coolant Light Flashing (herby53-akaherby53)

Hi Guys,
I noticed that there are three wires (green/blue/yellow) coming out of the same hose as the black coolant flange. The green and yellow wires are attached but the blue one seems to have got unwired when I unplugged the black coolant flange. Any idea what this wire is for and where it needs to be re-attached?
I have attached a picture below.
http://www.photodump.com/vwG60....html
Thanks,
Park

Modified by vwG60nu at 7:47 PM 3-23-2008

Modified by vwG60nu at 7:48 PM 3-23-2008

· Registered
1,878 Posts

I had a very thin blue and white wire (maybe it was all blue...I can't remember) left over after my engine and fuel management swap. I couldn't find it in the Bentley wiring diagrams, and when I traced through the firewall, it wasn't connected to anything at that end either. I remember reading somewhere that it is for the optional oil pressure gauge. Maybe that's the wire you're seeing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.