VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of nowhere i've noticed my engine temp gauge in my dash does not read the engine temp anymore(i.e. raise to 12 o clock on the gauge when engine is fully warmed up to normal operating tempature).
It says in the far left position.
The other day i noticed it did go up to 12 o clock but then back down to the normal cold temp starting point

Anyone else ever had their temp gauge or sensor die on them all of a sudden? Anyone know how much of a hassle it will be to fix it?

·
Banned
7,698 Posts
Re: temp gauge in dash not reading engine temp all of a sudden? (SkyCriesVW)

no idea but bump for ya.... i'm sure i can use the info myself if anything like this should happen to me

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

Most likely it is your coolant temperature sensor. Fantomasz just did a write-up on how to replace it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=828493
The sensor has two separate elements in it. One sends a signal to the ECM, and the other sends a signal to the gauge. One element can fail while the other one is still good. In Fantomasz's case, the element that failed was the one that sends the signal to the ECM (which triggered the DTC that he had to clear). Even though your symptom is an erratic temperature gauge, the repair procedure is the same.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: temp gauge in dash not reading engine temp all of a sudden? (ChrisM)

yea. mine dies and comes to life. somewhere round .5 probability it will start up with the engine http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
10,659 Posts

I don't know, it may be a bad guage or a bad sensor. My 2.0 has a tendency to do that every now and then. Let us know when you find out what it actually is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts