VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride today for the 1st time in a week(didn't push it at all) and while parking the car in town, the temperature gauge shot up into the red and the coolant level went high in the reservoir. I let it rest for about a 1/2 hour then started it up and after coughing for a 1/2 minute the car ran fine and the temp stayed normal. I pulled it into the garage and let it sit. I'm going to drive it tomorrow and see what happens. Has this happened to anyone?

· Registered
3,475 Posts
Re: Temp gauge went into red. (climbingcue)

Pat , I just did the green top coolant sensor in mine and the new spring in the BOV.
I have been burning through the coolant ever since the V2 went on but the only other noticable change was that the Temp needle (for the first time since having the car ), would shoot past the 190 mark , by only maybe 10-15 dgrees and then come back to 190 , where as in the past the needle would stay consistently at 190.
After the green top sensor was installed my car was throwing a Coolant system malfunction code , and the teperature was staying abnormally cool. It was taking almost a good 15+Minutes to hit 190 , where as in the past it would warm up in a matter of 5 minutes
I think my Thermostat is stuck in the open position , so the opposite of your situation. I have heard of a few cooling issues with these III/IV setup's , but to this point i had not experienced any. So...???

· Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Temp gauge went into red. (scharged)

Very strange.
I just got back from a ride and the temp is fine, right at 190. I don't know why it went crazy. I'll try to bring it in this week and have it checked out.

· Registered
9,954 Posts
Re: Temp gauge went into red. (NJVWR32)

Are your cooling fans running? Friend of mine experienced the same thing. Car was fine when moving, temp shot up when stopped in traffic.

· Registered
3,475 Posts
Re: Temp gauge went into red. (scharged)

Quote, originally posted by scharged »
Chef, your burning coolant?

Yes , but i also have a bit of a leak going on with one or two of my lines.
I am getting ready to replace most of them with new ones just to be sure , might be a bit costly but i think it'll be worth it.
I am leaking a good softball size area when it rests at night , and yes it is coolant. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
8,275 Posts
Re: Temp gauge went into red. (chef Jay)

Quote, originally posted by chef Jay »

Yes , but i also have a bit of a leak going on with one or two of my lines.
I am getting ready to replace most of them with new ones just to be sure , might be a bit costly but i think it'll be worth it.
I am leaking a good softball size area when it rests at night , and yes it is coolant. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

mine leaks too, but it is a very small leak and I know exactly where it is coming from...

· Registered
14 Posts
Re: Temp gauge went into red. (NJVWR32)

yeah that happened to me about a few months ago, i was parked with the car on then it jus went into the red.. turned the car off for 20 min than turned it on and turned the heat on the highest temperature setting and highest fan setting as soon as it went past 190 degrees cuz it's really bad for the engine to get that hot and turning the heat on helps cool it down.. than it started doing it like once a day and while i was driving... brought it in to the dealer and they said it was my thermostat and changed it under warranty... good luck with fixing the problem

· Registered
18,164 Posts
Re: Temp gauge went into red. (er0432)

Dead fans won't cause the temp to spike unless you're running
in stop and go traffic with very high ambient temps.
It's either the coolant temp sensor malfunctioning (and sometimes
the new ones are bad too), or the thermostat. If it goes too hot
when you're stopped and too cool when you're moving, then
it's a bad thermostat. If it's random, then probably the temp sensor.
ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.