VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - I am new to 16vs (i own a vr6 and owned a few 8v...)
I just bought a 91 16v GLi
So today I drove to work, about 20mins and the car never warmed up past the lowest white block on the coolant guage and 170 on the Oil Temp. I noticed this the other day but dismissed it. (I live in NYC today was about 30-35'). On the way home I sat in traffic and the temperature started to rise, It got a little past 1/2 way on the coolant guage and to 208 on the oil temp. I then turned on the heat aand the temp started to drop back to the top of the white block and the temp went down to 172 and stayed there.
The then tested to see if the car would overheat, i let it run at idle with heat off the temp went past halfway on the cool guage by tad, the fan turned on and it stayed in this range. The oil temp went as high as 230.. i then took it around the block and it hit 235 and i turned the heat on.. it went back down to 200 quickly.
My question.. isn't this cold, it seems like the car only runs hot or cold yet it hasn't boiled over. I was told that the coolant system was serviced ($300 service?) before i bought the car because it wa sover heating... I at first thought the guage was wrong but the oil temp guage seems to stick with the coolang guage.
man, I have become such a jaded dub owner.. is this normal??? is it bad???

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Re: Temp runs COLD or HOT ?? (brinskan)

your thermostat is stuck open or the antifreeze is very diluted. Fix or it might even freeze

1 - 3 of 3 Posts