VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic recently told me that temperature sensor for engine head is completely missing on my system. So this is NOT the coolant temperature sensor, but head temperature sensor which needs to be connected somewhere on the head.

Does anyone know what is the part number for this sensor?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The only sensor on the head is the 0.3 bar oil pressure switch (low), which is next to the supercharger oil feed line.

There’s an ambient air temp sensor mounted behind the head that controls the radiator fan after-run. I’m assuming that’s what your mechanic is talking about.

It screws into a small bracket attached to one of the two L shaped brackets behind the valve cover. A single brown wire with a spade connector should be back there somewhere.

That bracket and sensor usually go missing after the valve cover is taken off. It’s not a big deal because the after-run system stops working when the low speed fan resistor burns up, which is inevitable. Find the brown wire and touch it to a good ground. If the fan doesn’t start then it doesn’t work anyhow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only sensor on the head is the 0.3 bar oil pressure switch (low), which is next to the supercharger oil feed line.

There’s an ambient air temp sensor mounted behind the head that controls the radiator fan after-run. I’m assuming that’s what your mechanic is talking about.

It screws into a small bracket attached to one of the two L shaped brackets behind the valve cover. A single brown wire with a spade connector should be back there somewhere.

That bracket and sensor usually go missing after the valve cover is taken off. It’s not a big deal because the after-run system stops working when the low speed fan resistor burns up, which is inevitable. Find the brown wire and touch it to a good ground. If the fan doesn’t start then it doesn’t work anyhow.
thanks, I'll check for that. Do you maybe know the part number for this sensor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

maybe this one:

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,274 Posts
The sensors in question were often removed and the harness connector taped off. As the g60 aged it would run hotter, the fan longer and extend the radiator fan run time causing failed batteries. This fix to save the battery sang the g60’s death song.

Once that sensor is disconnected, the engine compartment turned into a broiler oven that heat soaked all the components, wiring and pricey a/c hoses until they crumbled. Boost hoses and vacuum leaks began so the average owner unknowingly ran the car harder until … you know the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.