·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Town nearby is advertising this:

Product Motor vehicle Car Tire Font

1. I hope they’re using high-temp paint
2. This is going to smell bad
3. Is anyone unscrupulous enough to buy stolen cats going to care it’s spray painted?
4. Don’t they break them apart and take out the internals anyways? Who cares about the shell?

Seems like good intentions with crap execution. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3.2l A3 & 20v Rabbit
17,745 Posts
VA, or at least my local county is offering etching services for free. Guess they don’t realize that a grinder would quickly remove that if someone is really trying to steal and sell used cats, lol.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Can take a wire wheel and remove paint in 3 seconds. Duuuuuuumbbbbbbb!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The reason this is effective is that it makes it easy for police departments to charge people they stop with cat theft. I'm sure the paint is high temp. Most recyclers also will not take cats that have been painted.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put insurance on the car.
Drive the car
If cat gets stolen, call insurance company
Forget about this crap and enjoy your day.
I mean kinda. But in this world of parts shortages and rental car shortages and such, it can be a much bigger PITA than “oh insurance will cover it.” Yeah, but you might be down a car for a month. I don’t lay awake at night worrying but it isn’t as much a nonissue as you pretend.

·
Registered
Blackwing, S2000, i3, Odyssey
16,759 Posts
Maybe the true answer is to fight the lowlifes with the lowlife.

View attachment 209005
The only question this car is an answer to is "How do I show the world that I am a bad person who makes bad decisions?"

But seriously, is a shop that buys used cats going to say "Ah, I see here a patch of burned krylon on this freshly sawzall'd cat...NO THANK YOU"

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I mean kinda. But in this world of parts shortages and rental car shortages and such, it can be a much bigger PITA than “oh insurance will cover it.” Yeah, but you might be down a car for a month. I don’t lay awake at night worrying but it isn’t as much a nonissue as you pretend.
Oh I hear you, and it's a pretty big risk. Another reason why I am pulling the trigger and going back to 2 cars.

The people I worry about are my stepmom (my late father's wife). She left Galena and moved back here to the suburbs. She has a Prius with 70K miles on it that's paid for, on a fixed income, and dealing with my dad's expenses. If someone steals the cat off her car, the car will in all likelihood get totaled, and she will need to go buy something, STAT.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Drive the car
You should probably wake up to the 2022 situation. There is not an ample supply of catalytic converters for autos right now. Add to that there are two types of converters depending on what state you live in. The more restrictive states use the converters more difficult and more expensive to get.

I only say wake up because this issue has been going on for the past few years and every auto enthusiast I know is aware of these issues. I see your latest post and now it seems you are aware and concerned. Not sure why you made that first post except to be a joker.

My classic truck is parked in the garage at night and I will not take it into the city or anywhere near homeless camps. Too easy to steal. If I had a Prius I would do the same. The cars I have with converters that are impossible to steal get parked outside and get used for city trips. It's all backwards these days.

(insert your politics here and I'll laugh because low life thieves with power saws don't care about politics)

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
You should probably wake up to the 2022 situation. There is not an ample supply of catalytic converters for autos right now. Add to that there are two types of converters depending on what state you live in. The more restrictive states use the converters more difficult and more expensive to get.

I only say wake up because this issue has been going on for the past few years and every auto enthusiast I know is aware of these issues. I see your latest post and now it seems you are aware and concerned. Not sure why you made that first post except to be a joker.

My classic truck is parked in the garage at night and I will not take it into the city or anywhere near homeless camps. Too easy to steal. If I had a Prius I would do the same. The cars I have with converters that are impossible to steal get parked outside and get used for city trips. It's all backwards these days.

(insert your politics here and I'll laugh because low life thieves with power saws don't care about politics)
I am not stupid, and I would urge you not to suspect that I am, despite regularly posting here. I am well aware cat converter theft is a "thing" and it regularly starts hitting the news when the economy starts slowing down.

I get the risk. I know of cars that have been totaled because of a cat converter theft. All you an do as an owner is protect what you can, insure the rest, and let life happen.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,477 Posts
Can confirm, a friend had her Prius catalytic converter stolen about 2 months ago. Just got her car back about a week ago.

Her insurance company tried to get her to pay for the rental car while parts were on back order...LOL

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '05 Golf, '91 GTI VR6
5,477 Posts
Also, when I replaced the exhaust (from the cat back) on our old Outback, I painted it with VHT paint. Between road debris and heat, that sh*t wore off in a matter of 6 months. Can't see a spray paint marker being a permanent tag.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Drive the car
My mom's neighbor who lives across the street had his cat stolen from his van a few months ago (cameras showed a Suburban slowly cruising up and down the block, pulling up next to the van, in and out in less than a minute). He owns a chain of restaurants and the van is a necessity. It's a Chevy City Express (the rebadged Nissan NV van) and the dealer couldn't get a replacement cat for months. Ended up being $6k, paid by insurance. The van being out of commission made things pretty difficult for him and I'm sure it will cause rates in the neighborhood to rise.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Yep, see my post above.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts