VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too many people taking advantage due to poor QC new Model Y?

Tesla cancels its ballsy ‘no questions asked’ 7-day return policy

Tesla has removed its ballsy ‘no questions asked’ 7-day return policy that Elon Musk has been pushing as a show of confidence for the automaker.

Over the last few years, Tesla has updated its return policy to enable buyers to return their vehicles within 7 days of taking delivery virtually “with no questions asked”.

This was a great show of confidence for Tesla.

The company wrote in the policy:

“Owning a Tesla vehicle means you are driving one of the most advanced, best performing and safest vehicles available. We are confident that you will feel great about your new vehicle, and so are giving you time to experience and enjoy your new Tesla. Subject to the terms and conditions of this policy, if you are unhappy with your vehicle, you may return it to us within seven (7) calendar days.”

CEO Elon Musk often used the policy in marketing Tesla vehicles to potential buyers:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
Apr 23, 2019
New Model S has 370 mile / 595 km range
Tesla
@Tesla
The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther
https://tesla.com/blog/longest-range-electric-vehicle-now-goes-even-farther
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
Can order online in 2 mins for home delivery & return in 7 days for full refund

Tesla literally wrote in its support page for the policy:

“This return policy is intended to give you confidence in your purchase of a Tesla vehicle, and so is in addition to any other rights you may have under applicable law.”

As long as there was no damage to the vehicle and less than 1,000 miles on the odometer, buyers were able to return the vehicle to Tesla for a full refund.

Now sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that Tesla has discontinued the policy last night.

The support page for the policy now redirects to Tesla’s general support page without any replacement policy.

Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that dissatisfied buyers will now be referred to Tesla’s service department if they express wanting to return a vehicle for whatever reason.

Electrek’s Take

It’s strange for Tesla to make this change without a replacement policy for something that was used to show how confident it was that people would like their vehicles.

It’s also unclear if many people were using it. We know that Tesla made some changes to it over the years to avoid people abusing it, but we don’t know if that’s the reason behind the move to completely discontinue the policy.

Tesla had a lot of quality issues with the Model Y that might have resulted in an increase of the use of the policy, but buyers can always refuse delivery if they are not satisfied of the quality of the vehicle regardless of the return policy, which was more about the experience with the vehicle over the first week.

Normally, we would ask Tesla’s PR department about it, but as we recently reported, it has been disbanded.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,302 Posts
I wonder what percentage of sales actually resulted in a 'no questions asked' return.

·
Registered
45,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what percentage of sales actually resulted in a 'no questions asked' return.
I doubt that is a figure that Tesla would release. I don't follow main independent Tesla forums closely but I get their summary emails. It is just my feelings that more people are talking about either rejecting their Model Y delivery or talking about returning their Model Y.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,120 Posts
I'm actually happy to see it go. That policy made it harder for me to take Tesla seriously. Like it's an infomercial or something. "You'll love it or your money back!"

·
Registered
45,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seemed like something that people would take advantage of. Basically rent a tesla for 7 days, free.
Setting up insurance, registration, financing, etc seems like a lot more work than just renting a car. Plus Tesla is known for slow returns of buyer’s payments.

·
Sausage King of Chicago
100,671 Posts
I guess the faithful have no patience for 'Doubting Thomases'

Paging Tommietank :popcorn:

·
Registered
45,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really find those types of videos obnoxious. I could make a similar video about literally any brand, and it wouldn't get the views or clicks because nobody would care.
I guess if it was the first time that happened to them it would be obnoxious to make a video about it. But they had the door repaired already two times prior to making that video and the same thing is happening again. They should just do a Lemon Law return with it.

They also do have a point that the rear doors have no emergency release unlike the front doors. In case of a power issue, the rear seat passengers cannot exit the vehicle without crawling over into the front seats.

·
Registered
82,862 Posts
They basically just copied Carmax's policy anyways.
When you are trying to build a positive market image from nothing, that type of return policy can help.

Normally, we would ask Tesla’s PR department about it, but as we recently reported, it has been disbanded.
wait, wut?

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
There’s nothing obnoxious about the fact they had to have it repaired multiple times. Obnoxious would have been if they complained about it before ever getting it repaired. Or worse, setting it up to fail like most of the click bait types probably do.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
wait, wut?
At the beginning of 2020, people were reassigned or left the company and Tesla simply didn't fill the jobs. All that is left are a few folks arranging for loaners for tests. Per one report I read, Tesla PR basically didn't reply to any journalist who found something they didn't like about the cars.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Really find those types of videos obnoxious. I could make a similar video about literally any brand, and it wouldn't get the views or clicks because nobody would care.
Pretty sure Tesla would have more videos like this if everyone was into filming their car's problems. My friend returned his brand new Tesla S because windshield seals came of. How many times you've heard that happen on mainstream brand vehicle?

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,302 Posts
^well, we do have a thread on the top of the forum now about a GM product that shuts off randomly while driving, so...

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,087 Posts
Pretty sure Tesla would have more videos like this if everyone was into filming their car's problems. My friend returned his brand new Tesla S because windshield seals came of. How many times you've heard that happen on mainstream brand vehicle?
And a couple of weeks ago, there was an article of a Model Y losing its entire panoroof on the highway the day of purchase because either they forgot to install the seals, or they just failed.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
One article I read argued that Tesla cannot go down market and introduce lower cost products. The thought was that the masses have no patience for poor quality no matter the whiz bang technology. Essentially, early adopters and badge buyers are willing to put up with issues since they feel it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts