VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver says he couldn't stop the car, the police have charged him with failure to control the vehicle. I'm sure an investigation is forthcoming.

First, wow, he was going 70 mph but it looked like 100. I had to slow it way down to even see the car. At actual speed it's just a blur.

Main thing, no one was injured. And Tesla, wow, that car delivered. It took one hell of an offset hit into a pillar and the cockpit held and the driver is OK. Look at the overhead shot. That's stellar performance on Tesla's part, well done (y)

At actual speed
Window Plant Road surface Urban design Building

Slow motion
Window Plant Road surface Urban design Building

Actual speed
Road surface Asphalt Grey Floor Urban design

Slow motion
Road surface Asphalt Grey Urban design Floor

Overhead shot
Fixture Material property Circle Symmetry Tints and shades

COLUMBUS, Ohio —
Surveillance video at the Greater Columbus Convention Center shows the shocking moment a car crashed into the building.

Police say a person driving a Tesla smashed into the downtown center at over 70 miles an hour.

No one was seriously injured, but the crash caused around $300,000 in damage.

Police say the driver claimed his car's brakes failed, but he has been charged with failure to control the vehicle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That column barely budged and just flicks the car off it, that's pretty awesome.

You'd think with how advanced these cars are, there should be a speed limiting feature for when you're detected to be driving in a dense city center to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m impressed that the pano roof appears to have not shattered. In the early days of pano roofs and Tesla, there were lots of concerns about shattering roofs and roofs that would randomly fly off. This video is good evidence to the contrary.
Agree. I'm amazed at how well the car took the hit. A concrete planter, through glass doors/walls and then an offset hit into a support column. And the passenger compartment looks solid.

That was a ferocious hit. If I had done that in my FiST, it's so light, I think that planter would have crunched me and taken a lot of the speed out.

And I would have ended up just inside the glass wall. And you all would be fighting over my comic book collection because that would be the end.

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
Holy ****!

Here’s where I’m ok with Tesla keeping the telemetry data, it should be pretty easy to determine the actual fault.
So we should just trust whatever Tesla tells us the data shows them?
Surely they wouldn't try to minimize any fault of the car publicly while pushing out a secret update circumventing the NHTSA.

Reactions: The Kilted Yaksman

·
Registered
752 Posts
So. You're in the INNER city area, downtown, Convention Center and lord knows what else, and this twit is doing 70mph??? I can just hear the garbage remarks now: ( Oh, I didn't know; didn't realize; the car was supposed to do this and such; it's NOT MY FAULT!!!)

Take his license, jail him, and let him know his case will be heard sometime next year. Damme, the DNA pool keeps getting more and more diluted.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I've driven in that area a lot, no clue how he managed to be doing 70mph. Especially since he wouldn't have been on North High St (the main road that parallels the convention center). He would have had to come off a side street to hit where he did(probably Vine St based on the video). Brake failure doesn't explain why he was going 70mph in the first place...

·
Registered
87,946 Posts
I think I found the area hit (went around building in street view- I'm bored atm). That's a narrow little side road to be going 70 mph.

Building Window Infrastructure Road surface Urban design

Only real idea is they got the brake and throttle mixed up.
A Tesla could get up to 70 mph in a short distance.

Reactions: A3tron
1 - 20 of 46 Posts