VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tesla attempted to update its driver-assist system beta software, but it apparently caused a lot of trouble for the company and drivers.

Tesla this past weekend pushed a new update to its Full Self-Driving beta, a Level 2 driver-assist system that is not fully autonomous, but the company quickly needed to backtrack. After deploying FSD beta 10.3, CEO Elon Musk tweeted on Sunday the company would need to revert back to 10.2 amid "issues."

Seeing some issues with 10.3, so rolling back to 10.2 temporarily.

Please note, this is to be expected with beta software. It is impossible to test all hardware configs in all conditions with internal QA, hence public beta.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 24, 2021
According to Tesla owners on social media, cars were opting out of various active safety features, such as automatic emergency braking and forward collision warning without the driver's input. In addition, other drivers mentioned issues with the forward collision warning blaring without any immediate danger in sight. Perhaps worst of all, Teslas began applying the brakes for no reason whatsoever, according to other social media reports.

Tesla does not operate a public relations department to field requests for comment, but Musk tweeted early Monday morning the company began rolling out 10.3.1 to move users out of 10.2 and into the latest update with fixes for the variety of issues reported.

10.3.1 rolling out now
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 25, 2021
The hiccup underscores how FSD is not finalized and remains a fluid piece of technology. Musk correctly defines it as a "public beta," which hands over responsibility to drivers testing the system on public roads.

Car Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,616 Posts
I have a friend at Waymo, will have to ask his thoughts on this. According to him, actual FSD has been achieved and is no longer a concern for their vehicles, however they believe in Lidar and other tech that Musk does not...note I'm no expert in this field, just saying they approach it differently than Tesla and perhaps have different/better results.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have a friend at Waymo, will have to ask his thoughts on this. According to him, actual FSD has been achieved and is no longer a concern for their vehicles, however they believe in Lidar and other tech that Musk does not...note I'm no expert in this field, just saying they approach it differently than Tesla and perhaps have different/better results.
The Waymo cars are the most impressive self drivers out in public right now. But they really can't full self drive since they don't adapt to changing road conditions well. I watched a lot of Waymo rider videos on YT and silly things like traffic cones which aren't lined up well in a closed lane will totally confuse the cars and they just stop dead. It's one reason the Waymo cars still have chase vehicles behind them.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,616 Posts
The Waymo cars are the most impressive self drivers out in public right now. But they really can't full self drive since they don't adapt to changing road conditions well. I watched a lot of Waymo rider videos on YT and silly things like traffic cones which aren't lined up well in a closed lane will totally confuse the cars and they just stop dead. It's one reason the Waymo cars still have chase vehicles behind them.
Yup there are thousands of exception cases such as traffic cones/etc. that they still have to overcome and this will be an ongoing effort. This is why they recently launched the fleet in San Francisco, a city with many complex obstacles that they can learn and adapt from. Note these cars have drivers right now but as the system learns/upgrades I'm sure they'll eventually remove the drivers. According to my friend, the big focus for them right now is the pickup and drop off of passengers as it relates to finding the right location to perform the task. For example if someone hails a ride from a mall, what door of the mall are they at? Are they standing in front of a no stopping zone and/or is it a safe area to perform a stop in order to not inconvenience drivers/passengers or put anyone at risk? These are decisions human drivers already make today (minus Uber/Lyft drivers lol) and have to be integrated into Waymo cars.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
1. Unless all the cars on the road are self-driving, FSD will never be able to predict and react to all the human unpredictability and downright stupidity on the road, let alone the social cues.
2. Unless road markings are standardized and improved everywhere for FSB compatibility, there will always be logic impediments to certain situations where you have to get around closures, unmarked roads, impediments, detours, etc.

*I'm using the term FSD generically.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
2,434 Posts
I’ve been in a lot of cars as a passenger (and seen many other drivers on the road) where the drivers react to or judge road conditions just as poorly, if not worse than a FSD Tesla. Where is the outrage there?

This is not a defense of Tesla, but rather a criticism of our lackadaisical approach to driving training/licensing/monitoring and the consequences that follow the lack of care.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sure it can drive all by itself, but you're fooling yourself if you believe it's 100% error proof at the same time too.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just started paying attention to FSD recently with the BETA software opening up to more people. Watched a few videos on 10.2 recently (from Tesla fanboys) and was quite surprised how bad it is. Maybe it’ll be great someday (and I hope it will be), but I’m guessing it’s years away from something that doesn’t frighten drivers every couple minutes.

Living in a snowy area, I’m wondering how it determines how slippery the roads are. And, how it figures out where snow-covered lanes are now that it’s a camera-based system.

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,814 Posts
1. Unless all the cars on the road are self-driving, FSD will never be able to predict and react to all the human unpredictability and downright stupidity on the road, let alone the social cues.
2. Unless road markings are standardized and improved everywhere for FSB compatibility, there will always be logic impediments to certain situations where you have to get around closures, unmarked roads, impediments, detours, etc.

Agreed.

And I personally feel there should be a universal inter-FSD communication channel to allow FSD cars to coordinate among themselves, instead of trying to guess what the other cars around them are doing.

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
41,055 Posts
I have a friend at Waymo, will have to ask his thoughts on this. According to him, actual FSD has been achieved and is no longer a concern for their vehicles

Yup there are thousands of exception cases such as traffic cones/etc. that they still have to overcome and this will be an ongoing effort.
So they haven't actually achieved FSD then...

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
41,055 Posts

This is the way I feel, but a step further. Until all the cars on the road are actually communicating with each other or with the road in some way FSD will never be a reality.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,674 Posts
The name itself is flawed and misleading to begin with..."full self driving" that requires constant driver attention. I am sure beta testers don't care.
Until all the cars on the road are actually communicating with each other or with the road in some way FSD will never be a reality.
I agree with all of this. I don't expect it in my lifetime at all because I don't believe it can exist without a complete rethink and redo of how we handle personal transportation as a whole.

Not a Tesla knock specifically, it applies to every company that has a system in public beta right now.

·
Registered
48,740 Posts
I agree with all of this. I don't expect it in my lifetime at all because I don't believe it can exist without a complete rethink and redo of how we handle personal transportation as a whole.

Not a Tesla knock specifically, it applies to every company that has a system in public beta right now.
Are there other companies (not software) that give public (not hired drivers) access to beta and let them be testers out on the highways?

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,674 Posts
Full* Self-Driving

*99% full
Full Self Driving*

*drivers must have hands on the wheel, eyes front, and be fully alert at all times so they can take over driving instantaneously in the event the system does anything dangerous.

Are there other companies (not software) that give public (not hired drivers) access to beta and let them be testers out on the highways?
A. I put in that disclaimer because I don't want to argue with Tesla people.
B. Don't Mercedes and Cadillac have similar systems to Tesla?

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
2,434 Posts
So if a human makes an error, are they 99% able to drive? I guess the real question is how do you quantify the abilities of the average human driver and at what point can you say a Waymo has surpassed that level.

Oh, I agree with you. I just think it's a fool's errand to call it Full. Until you get in a little pod that has NO driver interface, this shouldn't be called self-driving aka Level 4 or 5. Don't some industry experts and AI ethicists think Level 2.5 and 3 are a Bad Idea?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts