VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

7441 - 7460 of 7533 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Takk for the video. It's like the car is a standard BMW 3-Series with an M3 engine. It would be nice to see a sports package for the Model 3 that included those basic but essential upgrades you mentioned. Lord knows people would pay for it.
i dont follow Tesla close enough...do they make year to year changes in regards to suspension tuning or will this require an FMC for the fixes that hes talking about.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What exactly is the weak point re the M3P brakes? The sizing looks adequate and the calipers/rotor are Brembo, with a two piece design for the latter.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
What exactly is the weak point re the M3P brakes? The sizing looks adequate and the calipers/rotor are Brembo, with a two piece design for the latter.
The rotors themselves are thin, and the brake pads aren't really great. In our teardown, the brake booster flexed far too much as well. Or project car was about $3K all in to get the brake feel to our liking.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Tesla Model 3 Performance Nürburgring POV | The Best and The Worst

Pretty much echoes my own findings: Brakes, suspension and seats need looking into if you want to use this as a serious track tool.
Yeah. They really need a proper performance seat/interior package to go with the performance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The rotors themselves are thin, and the brake pads aren't really great. In our teardown, the brake booster flexed far too much as well. Or project car was about $3K all in to get the brake feel to our liking.
:thumbup::thumbup:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. They really need a proper performance seat/interior package to go with the performance.
I've heard from a birdie in Tesla that it could be coming

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,121 Posts
If/when (most likely when) the 3 gets the heat pump system from the Y as well as this rumored 'shared battery pack' between both models, and any other hardware/software tweaks.. could we expect to see an improvement in range?

I have read that the Y, despite being 10% heavier than the equivalent 3, is actually more efficient as a city car in terms of Wh/mi or MPGe. Another article I read says the heat pump resulted in a 10% increase in efficiency (or range, I cannot recall) compared to the non-heat pump Y test vehicles.

All said, could we be seeing a ~275mi range SR RWD, and a ~350mi range LR AWD Model 3 within a year or so? And beyond that, when the 4680s eventually replace the 2170s... could that go even higher? Honestly, 300 miles is the sweet spot for range. I would rather see less weight and lower MSRPs.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
If/when (most likely when) the 3 gets the heat pump system from the Y as well as this rumored 'shared battery pack' between both models, and any other hardware/software tweaks.. could we expect to see an improvement in range?

I have read that the Y, despite being 10% heavier than the equivalent 3, is actually more efficient as a city car in terms of Wh/mi or MPGe. Another article I read says the heat pump resulted in a 10% increase in efficiency (or range, I cannot recall) compared to the non-heat pump Y test vehicles.

All said, could we be seeing a ~275mi range SR RWD, and a ~350mi range LR AWD Model 3 within a year or so? And beyond that, when the 4680s eventually replace the 2170s... could that go even higher? Honestly, 300 miles is the sweet spot for range. I would rather see less weight and lower MSRPs.
The Tesla rags have some spy shots and other reports of probably the biggest Model 3 refresh to date, rolling across the 2020 and 2021 model years.

* Double pane glass
* Blacked out trim (option?)
* New 19" wheels
* Redesigned center console
* Included Qi wireless charging (I believe this is already being delivered)
* Power trunk
* Redesigned Frunk, probably to support:
* Heat pump

All in all, the 2021 MY's are going to have a substantial amount of upgrades over the MY2019 and early MY2020 (Like mine :( But, c'est la vie.)

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Interesting. I haven't been following the upgrade rumor mill *at all*, I just hear bits and pieces from my dad, who's looking to replace an ailing E92 with a new TM3. He really wants LR but doesn't want to pay for AWD. I have no idea why; their S75D is always gonna be the roadtrip car, even if the 3 has longer range. (I would think. Who knows).

I'm only interested in seeing if the turn signals with amber indicators from the Y make it to the 3, and if so, can I plug-and-play them? :cool:

·
Registered
21,506 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The Tesla rags have some spy shots and other reports of probably the biggest Model 3 refresh to date, rolling across the 2020 and 2021 model years.

* Double pane glass
* New 19" wheels
* Power trunk
* Heat pump

All in all, the 2021 MY's are going to have a substantial amount of upgrades over the MY2019 and early MY2020 (Like mine :( But, c'est la vie.)
This is pretty sweet and makes me a tiny bit jelly. But what we haven't seen in a while is a price cut. I remember pricing changes almost bi-weekly back in early 2019. Perhaps with some battery savings they can shave a bit off the AWD model? Maybe a new off-menu Sleeper Performance is in the works. A sleeper performance Y would be sick

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

A 275mi SR+ gets really interesting if the $7500 EV credit is available for all EV's in a tax/stimulus bill next year. If Tesla were to cut the price of the SR+ by $500 at the same time it effectively becomes a $29,990 vehicle.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
A 275mi SR+ gets really interesting if the $7500 EV credit is available for all EV's in a tax/stimulus bill next year. If Tesla were to cut the price of the SR+ by $500 at the same time it effectively becomes a $29,990 vehicle.
I bet other OEMs would lobby against this. Companies like Honda that haven't really used the 200k EV cap yet would hate to see Tesla get new credits. It'd bury them even further. That CyberTruck would really be killer at $32,500.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I bet other OEMs would lobby against this. Companies like Honda that haven't really used the 200k EV cap yet would hate to see Tesla get new credits. It'd bury them even further. That CyberTruck would really be killer at $32,500.
I don't see a total credit reset, but it is possible they could raise the cap (perhaps doubling it). That would give Tesla another year of credits without directly prejudicing the mainstream automakers. The mainstream makers might go along with it because it would help the economics of their own EV programs, which are pretty much mandated by EV mandates and the threat of ICE bans in some jurisdictions on the horizon.

On the other hand, I could see a cap increase coming with strings- a high income phase out or high cost vehicle exclusion.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't see a total credit reset, but it is possible they could raise the cap (perhaps doubling it). That would give Tesla another year of credits without directly prejudicing the mainstream automakers. The mainstream makers might go along with it because it would help the economics of their own EV programs, which are pretty much mandated by EV mandates and the threat of ICE bans in some jurisdictions on the horizon.

On the other hand, I could see a cap increase coming with strings- a high income phase out or high cost vehicle exclusion.
That's sort of what we have in Ontario. 5K off, but only the M3 SR+ is eligible, all other Tesla models aren't eligible due to high cost. Seems fair I think.

·
Registered
18,410 Posts

* Double pane glass
* New 19" wheels
* Power trunk
* Heat pump

That’s good to know, especially the heat pump. I have that in my car also.:eek:

7441 - 7460 of 7533 Posts