VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
25,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some key takeaways:

One focus of the redesign codenamed "Highland" is to reduce the number of components and complexity in the interior of the Model 3 while focusing on features that Tesla buyers value, including the display, according to the people, who asked not to be named because the revamp has not been announced...

The revamp of the battery-powered sedan, which could also include some changes to the Model 3’s exterior and powertrain performance, will go into production at Tesla’s factory in Shanghai and the company’s Fremont, California plant, two of the people said. Tesla’s Shanghai Gigafactory will put the redesigned Model 3 into production in the third quarter of 2023, they said.
I don't see how they could make the interior any less complex. 🤷‍♂️ It's already about as barebones of a design as you can get (not that I'm complaining)

"Over and over, we found parts that are not needed. They were put in there just in case or by mistake. We eliminated so many parts from a car that did nothing," Musk said in an interview at a Baron Funds conference earlier in the month.

The approach is part of what has made Tesla the most profitable electric vehicle maker while many rivals are still running at a loss. In the third quarter, Tesla made a profit of just over $9,500 for every car sold, compared to roughly $1,300 for Toyota, according to disclosures by both companies.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

o_Oo_O

· Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,948 Posts
I don't see how they could make the interior any less complex. 🤷‍♂️ It's already about as barebones of a design as you can get (not that I'm complaining)
This video from an ex tesla engineer explains this thinking and what they are doing.

· Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Was just reading about this on my usual tech blog. I’m not sure what to think. The interior isn’t exactly nice in a model 3 currently.

· Registered
14,214 Posts
I will always appreciate Tesla's focus on simplification. When it comes to the unseen components there's plenty for other manufacturers to learn from.

· Registered
60,793 Posts
Some key takeaways:

View attachment 240177

o_Oo_O

Is Tesla finally making a profit consistently, quarter after quarter?

· Registered
25,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is Tesla finally making a profit consistently, quarter after quarter?
A quick Google search shows that the first FULL year of profitability came in 2020. They've been in the green ever since that AFAIK.

· Registered
10,982 Posts
Was just reading about this on my usual tech blog. I’m not sure what to think. The interior isn’t exactly nice in a model 3 currently.
If I gather correctly, the focus will be on simplifying hidden aspects of the design. I did not know about the Model S door handles aside from hearing that they were a problem early on. The fix is ingenious!

The end user doesn't see most of the bits and pieces that go into an automotive interior. Drive mechanisms for the power seats. The internal workings of the HVAC. Power window regulators. Door latch and lock mechanisms.

· Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
25,356 Posts
The 2019 3 that I tested had traditional pull handles crammed between the door card and the pull handle. Not sure when they switched to only buttons?
I thought the primary means to open the door was the button and they had the pull lever as a backup. If they must have the mechanical backup then there's an opportunity to cut cost...just remove the button and just have a simple, better placed pull handle.

· Registered
4,423 Posts
I thought the primary means to open the door was the button and they had the pull lever as a backup. If they must have the mechanical backup then there's an opportunity to cut cost...just remove the button and just have a simple, better placed pull handle.
I don't remember a button, if there was one I missed it. Oh well. The pull handle is right where your hand lays, I would assume if it was intended only as a backup it would be tucked away somewhere.

· Registered
25,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't remember a button, if there was one I missed it. Oh well. The pull handle is right where your hand lays, I would assume if it was intended only as a backup it would be tucked away somewhere.
The button has been there from the beginning. You press it, the door opens. The mechanical pull handle is in case of power failure.

Automotive exterior Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle door Rim

· Registered
25,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I doubt that would happen. Tesla just released a software update that allows you to pop open the driver’s door from the app in case the exterior handles are frozen due to weather. If it’s all mechanical, that feature wouldn’t work.

· Registered
4,423 Posts
I doubt that would happen. Tesla just released a software update that allows you to pop open the driver’s door from the app in case the exterior handles are frozen due to weather. If it’s all mechanical, that feature wouldn’t work.

I chuckled when I saw this headline in my feed.

Normal car company solution: just designs door handle that doesn't freeze.

Tesla solution: makes car more internet dependent.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts