VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 223 Posts

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,332 Posts
Mack Anthem, literally revealed today

My dad used to be a sound/vibration engineer at Mack so I was pretty excited to email him about this one. This was his reply:

"I can't believe it has been this long since they updated this truck, and it is only a face lift. Still the same cab and sleeper box, just new hood, bumper, and fairings. I recommended that type of sun visor change when I was there because the old integrated design made too much noise from poor air flow. Interesting."

:laugh: I guess the Vision hasn't been shiny and new since 1999. Actually, it looks like the Vision was, itself, a facelift of the CH series that came out in 1988.

·
Registered
2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
4,116 Posts
My dad used to be a sound/vibration engineer at Mack so I was pretty excited to email him about this one. This was his reply:

"I can't believe it has been this long since they updated this truck, and it is only a face lift. Still the same cab and sleeper box, just new hood, bumper, and fairings. I recommended that type of sun visor change when I was there because the old integrated design made too much noise from poor air flow. Interesting."

:laugh: I guess the Vision hasn't been shiny and new since 1999. Actually, it looks like the Vision was, itself, a facelift of the CH series that came out in 1988.

That's cool, I'm glad my post reached your pops :thumbup:

That being said, I was under the impression the Anthem is a brand new model, completely new. Is this not the case? Is it really just a facelift?

·
Registered
16,603 Posts
Only at commercial truck stops, not places like interstate rest stops and depot lots. And I can see lack of productivity as short haulers. Sometimes those trucks move 24 hours a day at places like ports. You can't lose a truck for 12 hours at a clip while charging.
How far does a dock truck go in a single run?

Serious question.

·
Registered
22,755 Posts
It's not how far they go, it is how many times it does it a day. The reason the Port truck drivers went on strike is that short haul trucking at the ports is the new sharecropper system, where the plantation owners (port truck companies) basically have slave labor do all of the work, and at the end of the day/year/season, they tell them "Well, you almost made money this year....After we subtract all of the money you owe US, boy, you still owe us work, or we'll toss you out on your ass."

https://www.usatoday.com/pages/inte...ebt-worked-past-exhaustion-left-with-nothing/

·
Registered
48,225 Posts
Unreal.

Just like Tesla's launch schedules, volume predictions, and stock price.
:laugh: my first reaction also when i read that "unreal" quote

ill wait patiently for the presentation.

that said, even just the threat of tesla's electric truck has pushed the industry - you wouldnt have seen that cummins e truck without there having been a tesla vapor-semi :p

That's cool, I'm glad my post reached your pops :thumbup:

That being said, I was under the impression the Anthem is a brand new model, completely new. Is this not the case? Is it really just a facelift?
as far as im aware mack is virtually non existant in the over the road segment, so it wouldnt make sense (IMO, of course) for them to sink billions into a totally new platform for a market they basically dont compete in.

IThe reason the Port truck drivers went on strike is that short haul trucking at the ports is the new sharecropper system
they dont call them sweatshops on wheels for no reason...

turnover in most fleets is essentially 100%

·
Registered
16,603 Posts
It's not how far they go, it is how many times it does it a day. The reason the Port truck drivers went on strike is that short haul trucking at the ports is the new sharecropper system, where the plantation owners (port truck companies) basically have slave labor do all of the work, and at the end of the day/year/season, they tell them "Well, you almost made money this year....After we subtract all of the money you owe US, boy, you still owe us work, or we'll toss you out on your ass."

https://www.usatoday.com/pages/inte...ebt-worked-past-exhaustion-left-with-nothing/
No, seriously, how far do they go, and how long is loading/unloading on each end?

These are the items I need to talk intelligently about electrifying them.

The cycle count can be rendered irrelevant, if the right setup is chosen.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,332 Posts
as far as im aware mack is virtually non existant in the over the road segment, so it wouldnt make sense (IMO, of course) for them to sink billions into a totally new platform for a market they basically dont compete in.
That's pretty much true. The highway segment is dominated by Freightliners, Kenworths, etc. Mack trucks are rugged though, and where they really have a strong foothold is in the construction and garbage collection industries.

·
Banned
20,579 Posts
A Komatsu super heavy dump truck is getting converted to an EV as a trial. It will work in large mines going up and down multiple times a day hauling ore up and regenerating via brakes the whole way down. I wonder if tesla will look into something like that next. Especially with the same route up and down day after day. No need for drivers, just let the trucks do the work. :beer:

·
Registered
16,603 Posts
A Komatsu super heavy dump truck is getting converted to an EV as a trial. It will work in large mines going up and down multiple times a day hauling ore up and regenerating via brakes the whole way down. I wonder if tesla will look into something like that next. Especially with the same route up and down day after day. No need for drivers, just let the trucks do the work. :beer:
Even assuming it gets 100% duty cycle regen the whole way down, it's going to need charging regularly throughout the shift. Moving that much cargo up an incline is going to chew up energy like a beast.

·
Banned
20,579 Posts
Even assuming it gets 100% duty cycle regen the whole way down, it's going to need charging regularly throughout the shift. Moving that much cargo up an incline is going to chew up energy like a beast.
I think they are just planning on showing that it can extend its use time by X to prove that with Y amount of trucks you could run fully with switching out trucks to charge. Probably more of a proof of concept than anything useful at this point.

·
Registered
16,603 Posts
I think they are just planning on showing that it can extend its use time by X to prove that with Y amount of trucks you could run fully with switching out trucks to charge. Probably more of a proof of concept than anything useful at this point.
Aren't those trucks basically trains anyway? Serial hybrids with electric motors driving the wheels and a big honking generator to keep them turning?

·
Banned
20,579 Posts
Aren't those trucks basically trains anyway? Serial hybrids with electric motors driving the wheels and a big honking generator to keep them turning?
A lot of them seem of be swinging that way.
I bet adding a regen and batteries to trains would help enough to justify the cost now that you mention them.

·
Registered
Buzzy Italian and Practical Czech
1,771 Posts
Komatsu and Liebher have been doing it that way for 10-15 years +, while Caterpillar just started going down that route. Cat had been mechanical drive, and drivers loved them for it.

At some sites with larger / deeper pits and ramps established for years, you'd see overhead power cables on the uphill portion. Haul trucks would have those connection poles rising to make contact for electrical assist on the loaded uphill portion. Only works because of the electrical drive.

·
Registered
16,603 Posts
A lot of them seem of be swinging that way.
I bet adding a regen and batteries to trains would help enough to justify the cost now that you mention them.
I think ultimately trains would benefit from an overhead rigid rail and HV AC/DC setup. Then they can draw from the rails when needed, feed the rails when not, and you can put battery buffers on stationary ground rather than hauling them around with the train.

·
Registered
48,225 Posts
That's pretty much true. The highway segment is dominated by Freightliners, Kenworths, etc. Mack trucks are rugged though, and where they really have a strong foothold is in the construction and garbage collection industries.
freightliner at this point has the overall share of the on highway stuff, but i think kw+pete is second, or tied, depending on the month :laugh:

macks vocational dominance seems fairly regional, from what i can tell. much more prevalent on the east coast and midwest.
but it makes sense for them to do some light updates on their highway units as supporting ancient architecture and parts is probably more hassle than savings, plus im sure whatever highway customers they do have are probably demanding the latest D13 and i-shift stuff, which requires updating at least the electrical/network architecture.

that garbage truck market is an odd one, and not many people seriously play in that space, so the pete 320 and mack's offering i think are the most common units.

41 - 60 of 223 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.