VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Supercharger vs. Electrify America: Which one charges faster? Your personal experience, por favor.

• Neither. Chargepoint DC fast charger (if you can find one)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither. This faster charging system (name it)

• You're doing it wrong. It's all about charging fees, not the speed.

• You're doing it wrong. The rest of the world uses Dis (name it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR; watch the video*

*Charging a Tesla Model 3 at Electrify America with CCS1 adopter

Forehead Cheek Chin Microphone Gesture

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
24,533 Posts
Haven't watched the video yet, but Superchargers automatically win IMHO due to availability, close proximity to interstate interchanges for road trips and reliability. People seem to bitch a lot about the lack of enough charging stalls and broken charges at EA destinations.

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't watched the video yet, but Superchargers automatically win IMHO due to availability, close proximity to interstate interchanges for road trips and reliability. People seem to bitch a lot about the lack of enough charging stalls and broken charges at EA destinations.
Plus Tesla Supercharger won't lock up your charging plug after it's done. :mad:

·
Registered
36,907 Posts
I think the point is that Electrify America is so unreliable that from a statistical standpoint, you will waste more time trying to charge your car with EA than with Tesla, at least presently. I don't doubt that given another 5-10 years we'll see reliable SAE DC-FC charging stations in the US, but they aren't there yet.

Literally every time I've watched a video or read an article about somebody doing a roadtrip and relying on SAE DC fast charging, they have no better than a 60% success rate with any given charging appliance and in some cases the whole charging station is down. The reliability is shockingly bad for how simple a power outlet ought to be in the modern world.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
24,533 Posts
I think the point is that Electrify America is so unreliable that from a statistical standpoint, you will waste more time trying to charge your car with EA than with Tesla, at least presently. I don't doubt that given another 5-10 years we'll see reliable SAE DC-FC charging stations in the US, but they aren't there yet.

Literally every time I've watched a video or read an article about somebody doing a roadtrip and relying on SAE DC fast charging, they have no better than a 60% success rate with any given charging appliance and in some cases the whole charging station is down. The reliability is shockingly bad for how simple a power outlet ought to be in the modern world.
Bingo

·
Registered
433 Posts
My wife just came back from Malmo and Stockholm for work. She informed me that Volvo is trialling wireless charging for their cars.
The car drives over a pad and it positions itself right over it via a sensor. Once in position the charging starts. This system is specificallt targeting the electric taxi cars that is widespread in scandanavia now. She informed me the charging rates are down to 30-40 mins with this new system.
I can see the potential for this on a more widespread basis and for other makes too.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
23,553 Posts
My wife just came back from Malmo and Stockholm for work. She informed me that Volvo is trialling wireless charging for their cars.
The car drives over a pad and it positions itself right over it via a sensor. Once in position the charging starts. This system is specificallt targeting the electric taxi cars that is widespread in scandanavia now. She informed me the charging rates are down to 30-40 mins with this new system.
I can see the potential for this on a more widespread basis and for other makes too.
Glad to see this is finally becoming a thing. It's been talked about for a long time in the US, but I recall them having unacceptable transmission losses from the pad to the battery, so the cables stayed. Happy to see progress.

·
Registered
36,123 Posts

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,484 Posts

I love not being beholden to statistics on my road trips to CT or down to TN or Myrtle Beach.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Never had an issue with EA anywhere on the east coast.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I keep going back and forth between ordering a Taycan or keeping my 3. EA vs. Tesla charging is the biggest reason why I can't make the move. Certainly some of it is perception but, there is a reality where Tesla's SC network is more reliable and better placed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts