VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We (me and golfglsgirl) took our Golf automatic in for the first maintenance today, while I was there I asked if I could test drive a Tiptronic GTI to see the difference. He told me he only had a 1.8 Jetta in a tiptronic so I said sure why not.
Anyway the moment I stepped on the gas, I wish we had gotten a GTI. I didn't think the difference in power would be that great. I thought it would be nice but I didn't expect that kind of speed and power. All I can say is I understand why everyone calls it a 2.slow.
Damn I want a GTI.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (Yzerman)

You should try the 2.0 Manual... Then you'll really be kicking yourself.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

lol. reminds me when i bought my first golf. it was a 2.0
then i found vortex and look where i am now.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

You're lucky you didn't drive a chipped 1.8T 5 speed. Your car might just be for sale right now

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Dude, you had to drive a 1.8T to see your car was slow?
j/k.
I'd do it over again if I had the chance. I've driven two modded 1.8T's and boy oh boy did I jump on the option to turbo my 2.slow. The smartest move VW has thought of yet is to drop it from their next gen and make the 2.0T a base.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (VeeeWSpeed)

Quote, originally posted by VeeeWSpeed »
You should try the 2.0 Manual... Then you'll really be kicking yourself.

Isn't the manual faster (ok, less slow), being able to control where you shift?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (Boragirl03)

Quote, originally posted by Boragirl03 »
The smartest move VW has thought of yet is to drop it from their next gen and make the 2.0T a base.

True, but I think they have a decent market with the 2.0 NA. Or at least they do here where I live. Lots 'o' people buy a VW 2.0 cause they want something nicer than a cheaply made Neon or Cavalier, but don't want to step up to a more expensive and bigger Accord or Camry. With a 2.0 Jetta, for example, you get much of the comfort and quality of a nice mid-size sedan without sacraficing the economy of a compact. So basicaly what I'm saying is the 2.0 fills a decent sized niche.
Don't get me wrong, though! I'd be all over a 2.0T!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (wolfinblue)

Prior to the purchase on my current 1.8T, I had an '89 GLI and it was lighter and has more hp than a 2.0 and I felt it's hard to push that car...go figure I skipped 2.0 completely

·
Banned
5,344 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (faylc)

i drove an 86 fox, 88 quantum, now an 02 1.8t... talk about a jump

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

Ok, first and foremost, drop the 2.0 debate. It gets really old around here when everyone calls the 2.0 slow and such and then they just down it in comparison to other engines. If it's been talked about once it's been talked about million times around concerning the 2.0 and how "slow" it is. No VW engine is that fast. But you have to take in mind I used to have an SS Camaro with a LT4 in it. So, everyone just get off the 2.0 debate and go on. If you think it's slow great but guess what, it was NOT designed to be fast.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (Casey P.)

Quote, originally posted by Casey P. »
Ok, first and foremost, drop the 2.0 debate. It gets really old around here when everyone calls the 2.0 slow and such and then they just down it in comparison to other engines. If it's been talked about once it's been talked about million times around concerning the 2.0 and how "slow" it is. No VW engine is that fast. But you have to take in mind I used to have an SS Camaro with a LT4 in it. So, everyone just get off the 2.0 debate and go on. If you think it's slow great but guess what, it was NOT designed to be fast.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

I should take you for a ride in the black 4dr...HEHEHE.
The 2.0 can produce alot of power. With enough $$$, anything is possible.
Quote, originally posted by Yzerman »
We (me and golfglsgirl) took our Golf automatic in for the first maintenance today, while I was there I asked if I could test drive a Tiptronic GTI to see the difference. He told me he only had a 1.8 Jetta in a tiptronic so I said sure why not.
Anyway the moment I stepped on the gas, I wish we had gotten a GTI. I didn't think the difference in power would be that great. I thought it would be nice but I didn't expect that kind of speed and power. All I can say is I understand why everyone calls it a 2.slow.
Damn I want a GTI.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (SLI)

I've got two... lol
Next car is probably going to be a blue lagoon Jetta 1.8T, I hope.

·
Premium Member
2013 Audi TT RS; 2019 VW Golf R
8,908 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (Casey P.)

Quote, originally posted by Casey P. »

These forums are around to trigger debate and discussion, not so someone can come around and tell you what you can and can't talk about. If you don't like it, don't click on the link.
Enjoy your 2.0
Debate on, folks..

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SLI »
The 2.0 can produce alot of power. With enough $$$, anything is possible.

The 2.0L 8V MK4 engine will NEVER be able to produce as much power as the 1.8L 20V MK4 engine -- and it's all because of science and physics. Seriously... the 8V is simply too starved for air -- that's why VW introduced both the 1.8L 16V and the 2.0L 16V motors back in the day.
Think about it.
Peter

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (caj1)

Quote, originally posted by caj1 »

These forums are around to trigger debate and discussion, not so someone can come around and tell you what you can and can't talk about. If you don't like it, don't click on the link.
Enjoy your 2.0
Debate on, folks..

Thank you bro, I couldn't agree more. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Re: Test drove a 1.8T today and I see why they call the 2.0 a 2.slow! (Fluidic Digital)

I never said one engine has more potential than another. I just posted something nice about the 2.0 instead of doing a comparison. The 2.0 is a good engine that has been around for a while. It's possible to get some good power out of it with a nice turbo setup.
The same could be said about 1.8T vs. VR6. Compare a well tuned big turbo'ed 1.8T with a well tuned big turbo'ed VR6.
Think about it, most of the MK4s out there are 2.0. The price is right, and it hangs well with other base engines in its class. Car companies don't make the majority of their money from enthusiasts.

Quote, originally posted by Fluidic Digital »

The 2.0L 8V MK4 engine will NEVER be able to produce as much power as the 1.8L 20V MK4 engine -- and it's all because of science and physics. Seriously... the 8V is simply too starved for air -- that's why VW introduced both the 1.8L 16V and the 2.0L 16V motors back in the day.
Think about it.
Peter

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SLI »
The same could be said about 1.8T vs. VR6. Compare a well tuned big turbo'ed 1.8T with a well tuned big turbo'ed VR6.

I then proceed to ask -- the 12V non-coilpack VR6 or the 24V coilpack VR6 -- variables and nothing but them....
Peter

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

Basically, this thread is now beating a dead horse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts