VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And before the flames start, I was really impressed with the car. But as am '01 GTI GLX owner, I was prepared to have my doors completelt blown off. Not only was it slower, but if the car I was driving is capable of low 15 second quarters, then my VR6 should be in the high 14s, and all I've done is an AEM intake and Magnaflow exhaust.
The car my g/f is buying is Reflex Silver/black leather with the 17's, 5 speed manual. its a beautiful car and all, I just don't see where all the 1.8T owners get off saying they are faster. Sure didn't seem like it to me.
i understand the whole 'cheaper to mod' thing, but I just thought I'd share my feeling on the subject. Hell, when she gets it, I can choose the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (VDUBBINDizzy)

well, car and driver tested a gti vr6 at 7.7 0-60 as opposed to a 6.5 for a 1.8T. 7.7 is just freaking CRAZY. Proof that you can't trust everything you read.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (VDUBBINDizzy)

quote:[HR][/HR]Stock, they aren't supposed to be faster. The VR is marketed as an upgrade. Also the Jetta is heavier than your GTI.[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (VTECeateR)

They are faster. I guarantee you you wnat pull away from any stock ones. Modded (just chip) a "02 1.8t will pull on you SERIOUSLY. They reach max torque so much fastr than we do it's not even funny.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (beach5)

and you came on here just to say that? Are you lame or whaT? If you were not getting on the car.. underneith 2000rpms the car feels slower. I owned a modded GTI GLX and now own a Jetta 1.8t. The 1.8t even stock has far more power than my gti ever did even with mods. Once the boost comes on your tugged nicely into your chair with the 1.8t. The feeling was almost non existant with the vr. Yoru suffering from little stick syndrome and if you feel you have to proove the 1.8t is slow on here its sad. My cousin plans on running 14.6 this weekend b o n e s t o c k. 14.8 last week with lots of room for improvement. You obviously didint floor it till redline. What a waste of thread looser. Do you want to meet up with a stock 1.8t i CA? I guarantee you will loose. Thanks for your time

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

also smthg to consider. let that car break in a bit.. i found a dramatic difference between day 1 of owning the car and today with over 4K miles.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (scud6661)

Heh heh..... Hey VtecEater, met you at that Hidden Lakes GTG. I was the dood with the blue Jetta WE that I was complaining I needed to drop
. Anyhow, the car _should_ be slower than your VR stock. It has less HP. But get your GF to chip it and look out http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Then exhaust, and suspension, and intake and.....and...and your broke like me.

As for those people who think the GTI is lighter than the Jetta, it is only a couple hundred pounds different if that. Then you have to keep in mind that he has a VR6 up front and they are testing a 1.8T. There is a weight difference between those two engines. Again, not much. The overall difference in weight between the two cars shouldn't be much different though.
As some other people mentioned, you need to get on it a little more with the 1.8T and then the turbo spools and the torque kicks in. If you were taking it easy for the test drive you don't get the full effect. That and as someone above mentioned, the engine seems to get stronger after about 2,000 miles.
Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (donmoses)

I just want to second that. I owned a 2.8 A4 5spd for 3 yrs. Now I own (for 2 days) an '02 1.8T Jetta 5spd Sport/Lux and the flexiability and power is sooo much more immediate. It's way faster than my A4 ever was. IMO 180hp is definately understated.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (SAPJetta)

hey SAPJetta,
your point might be correct, the car probably needed to be broken in. We tested in a car with a couple hundred and it went ok, but the car she wants I got to drive for a few miles and it had only EIGHT on th odometer.
I think it's pretty sad how many of the 1.8T guys feel so threatened by my post. I was just stating opinion. Even if my car IS slower, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. If I was purely interested in speed, for the same $$$ I could be driving a 2002 Z28.
But whatever. I was just wondering what all the fuss is about. Maybe when her car is broken in I will be blown away by he performance.
Either way, http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to vw for engine progress...
....but http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif to all you haters.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (Oltorf)

1.8ts stock are pretty peppy. the new 1.8t (2002) have a little edge over us VR owners. stock VR vs stock 2001 1.8t = VR wins. stock VR vs stock 2002 1.8t = leaning more towards the 1.8t.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (DriversWanted)

Well hows this? In two weeks, Sears point is SUPPOSED to open for Wednesday Night Drags. I'll let you know then and we can talk about what cars run what times.
I'm sorry if I pissed of the 1.8T guys. I think they are sweet cars. But I love my VR6 as well.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Oh no! Here we go again!

Is there a point to this? Who cares if you or anybody thinks that one is faster than the other. They're both great engines!

·
Banned
3,385 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]and you came on here just to say that? Are you lame or whaT? If you were not getting on the car.. underneith 2000rpms the car feels slower. I owned a modded GTI GLX and now own a Jetta 1.8t. The 1.8t even stock has far more power than my gti ever did even with mods. Once the boost comes on your tugged nicely into your chair with the 1.8t. The feeling was almost non existant with the vr. Yoru suffering from little stick syndrome and if you feel you have to proove the 1.8t is slow on here its sad. My cousin plans on running 14.6 this weekend b o n e s t o c k. 14.8 last week with lots of room for improvement. You obviously didint floor it till redline. What a waste of thread looser. Do you want to meet up with a stock 1.8t i CA? I guarantee you will loose. Thanks for your time[HR][/HR]​

Fcking Budda!!! Can we just be more nice to each other!!!??? Sick of this Uncleben Juvenile shiet.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Re: Test drove a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with my g/f (soundzero)

I can keep going too You got your Vr6 for handling? You must be destroying the track with an extra 150 lbs over the front wheels when compared to a 1.8t. Do you run out of gas after one autocross event? The 6th fastest car in all classes is a 1.8t in autocross. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=315091
I can keep on and on buddy go drive your honda eater kid

·
Registered
290 Posts

As far as th comment "simple mod". Bottom line you get about 3x the results of a turboed car as opposed to NA, at least on imports thats the basic equation.. On a V8 well...another story another platform.

Nick

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.