VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its final. My Jetta is not worth reparing. I checked under the hood today. What I thought would be a simple replacement of front end parts instead showed the engine got shifted in the bay during the collision. I busted the rear motor mounts and the halfshafts are contacting the frame.
So I decided to look at all the other cars I was thinking about for sometime. On my journey I found an imactulate MKIV Supra NA (225HP) Other than the engine, the car is virtualy the same as its twin turbo cousin. (With the exception of the LSD and twin turbos of course) Here is my little review on it.
Took it out to drive tonight. The owner has had numerious offers and I am sure that car will be gone if I don't go after it. We took it driving tonight and my impressions were:
Ride: Like any sports car. The suspention was stiff and supportive. Eventhough the thing weights in at 3450 the thing handles very well. You know the weight is there but I only helps to stabelize the car. It takes turns nice and sharp and is more than stable at speed. Hell the drone of the engine is what I hear, not the wind or the road noise.
Power: It is more or less comperable to my dads chiped 1.8t Passat and my brothers FC when you factor in the weight. I know because on the freeway on ramp, I floored the thing and I watched as my dad and brother in the passat pac this car. So its pretty fast as it is. The car of course has more mod potential than my jetta. The engine has power from low end all the way to its redline. I think the 300+ Twin Turbos versions would scare the hell out of me!!!
Room and interior: I think the RX-7 has more room. The leather interior was clean as well was the interior guages and everything else. Controls were functional and perfect for a sports car! No trunk space and only try sitting kids in the rear seat if that! The car has the targa top.
Except fo very high millage (151k) the car is operating perfectly. The only question is should I buy it? It is not that I don't have the money but there are other mitigating circumstances that I cannot say here. He is only asking $11900USD. For a supra, it can't get any better than that.
I was also thinking about building that Sil-80 since this occured. I think I could do it for cheap not reguarding an SR20DET conversions. But the front end, wheels suspention and the standard engine are interesting. Or I can wait for that AE86...
What the hell should I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
Re: Test Drove a Supra MKIV NA (YF19EX)

More room than an FC? The Supra is MUCH bigger! It's 500lb heavier too!
There are a lot of interesting cars out there for you. It sounds like you aren't really sold on this car yourself (and vice-versa!).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Test Drove a Supra MKIV NA (robx007)

As much as the TT would be nice, 30k is the going rate and for one it is steep to be asking. Otherwise I would be looking at other cars. The milage did scare me but the car was so well maintained and we are talking about a Supra engine. The one that can take 600hp worth of boost or 150 shot of nitrous stock. Either way the engine was still quite strong.

·
Registered
41,826 Posts

The NA block and turbo blocks are different. People have made power with the NA block, but not as much.
The NA Supra is a great car... great looks, decent power, pretty well-appointed.
Still, at 151k I wouldn't buy it. Find a lower mileage, hardtop.

·
Registered
784 Posts

believe me, if you get the nonturbo version you will be kicking yourself for not waiting and getting the real deal.
besides, for $12K you can buy a 240SX and convert the front end, AND get an SR20DET in there. Keep in mind that this is NOT a street legal swap though.

[Modified by fastfour, 11:14 PM 9-30-2002]

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Re: Test Drove a Supra MKIV NA (fastfour)

damn that is a heck of alot of miles. you might want to find something a bit less flashy and a bit my reliable because when that supra breaks down its going to be even more expensive to fix then your jetta

·
Registered
27,104 Posts
Re: Test Drove a Supra MKIV NA ('97Trek2.0)

N/A Supra's are dogs period. You can make them fairly descent for everyday driving and they are still Toyotas in the end. The mileage seems a bit high, I would say wait out till you find a TT version or just get a Turbo MR2
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif That is, if you can find one of those also

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Test Drove a Supra MKIV NA (PineappleMonkey)

You have to understand that I came from a 2.0 Jetta. This car and others I am considering are faster (Well maybe not the 86) and or have better mod potential than my Jetta had. Moding has always been a piecemeal fashion as some of us are not always rich enough to go and get all the parts. But thats why I want a car with better mod potential.
But I decided to stay off the supra although for everyday it would be great. The car is plenty fast although the twin turbos would be better. But that is a cost and rarity issue. Every TT I have run across is either 25-30k and all are autos!!! The car has to be below 15k. This was one I just wanted to look at. Besides its still a MKIV Supra. The look alone was threatening enough! The millage was an issue to a point but then again, my brother bought an RX7 turbo II rotary with 120k on the od. It still runs strong and I here stories of those running into the 200k and thats a rotary!!! I still think the engine is stronger than people say it is.
So for the sake of argument (and my wallet) I am going to look for an 86 (if I can find one that is) or a 240sx hatch for that sil-80 conversion I always wanted to do. I still need to keep smog so I will tune the original engine to what I can get out of it. Hell I might even turbo charge that! I think the KA24 still make decent power and the weight of the 240 I think is closer to the FC's weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.