VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test pipe... wow... just... wow

Put a 3" test pipe in the a4 tonight. All I have to say is wow. With just revo and an exhaust the car was "eh" at best. After the install though I took one run down the closed course I was OBVIOUSLY driving on (because test pipes are for offroad use only), and it felt like the car was practically a different machine that it was before I opened the toolbox this morning.
Pulls harder, pulls longer, and man can you hear that turbo and DV at work. I'm almost afraid for what it will sound like when I make my own intake and put a 3 inch TIP on there.

If you're thinking of doing this mod: DO it. If you're not thinking about doing it: reconsider. And if you already have one: why didn't one of you clowns tell me to do this earlier!?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (kenncmiller)

hah sweet so its butt dyno approved then

how did the install go?

·
Banned
5,429 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (matimus)

interesting, this seems like a good bang for the buck. what kind did you go with and is this still a good idea with factory exhaust and remus muffler?
also, what about emissions on your "track car"

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (geoff16vII)

Wish I would of went this way instead of a high flow cat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (HarvVAG)

I recently did the same upgrade to my car and love it. After doing it though I noticed how restrictive the manifold looked. I'm hoping to upgrade the exhaust manifold soon.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (kenncmiller)

Quote, originally posted by kenncmiller »
who makes em and how much? ck engine light gonna be an issue?

Make your own dude. Easy if you have a friend with a bender. I made the one on the Corrado and the A4. I just took the cats off and brought them to the guy, said "a pipe this shape". Went back after work and Violla, new pipes

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (uilyvr6)

They're so cheap it's not even worth the time you'd spend having someone make it. $150 full price. I found mine brand new for $120, NIB, because the place that had it ordered it for a project that never happened.
I'm sure the CEL will come on, but you can do three things for that:
1) use spark plug non-foulers creatively
2) solder resistors in-line on the 2nd 02 sensor
3) call your chip company and have them code it out
I specifically chose my software because the creator will do any custom work I want, so I'm going to datalog some injector duty cycles, slap in some bigger injectors and while I'm at it ask them if they'll kindly remove that pesky 2nd o2 sensor problem, since you know, a car used only off-oad won't need that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (robbyb413)

Yeah I know they are cheap. Mine were 20 bucks for both(together)

I got no CEL either, Corrado is waaay too loud now though. A4 sounds nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (uilyvr6)

I did this a while ago and very happy as well. The car just feels smoother. non-foulers did the trick for me in getting rid of the cel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (geoff16vII)

Honestly like everyone else that mentioned, used is the best if you can find it. Im not sure that a manufacture really matters. ATP does seem to be a popular choice though. Maybe someone will have a difference of opinion.
Mine is a 1/8 I purchased for $100. Im pretty sure the 1/8 are no longer being made.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
wow, i didnt realize it made such a noticable difference. i would be tempted to do this if it was a mod that most cops would let slide.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (HarvVAG)

Quote, originally posted by HarvVAG »
Wish I would of went this way instead of a high flow cat.

The stock cat actually flows almost as well as a test pipe (no joke, bobqzzi himself tested it) and better than most high-flow cats as long as it isn't going bad.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
either way the test pipe must be good bc this is the first time i think Rob has gotten a chubber over a simple mod like this

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (TallaiMan)

Quote, originally posted by TallaiMan »

The stock cat actually flows almost as well as a test pipe (no joke, bobqzzi himself tested it) and better than most high-flow cats as long as it isn't going bad.

Well tell bobqzzi to get in here with his dyno charts so we can figure out where he went wrong.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

Quote, originally posted by robbyb413 »

Well tell bobqzzi to get in here with his dyno charts so we can figure out where he went wrong.

Your cat was probably going bad... I know for a fact that he ran a stock cat on a 500HP 1.8T.

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Test pipe... wow... just... wow (TallaiMan)

Quote, originally posted by TallaiMan »

Your cat was probably going bad... I know for a fact that he ran a stock cat on a 500HP 1.8T.

My cat was actually a new stock cat. Put on less than 1k ago. Pretty hard for it to be bad.
It is physically impossible for a stock cat to flow as well as a 3 inch test pipe. The stock cat has much smaller inlets and outlets, and all of the element in between. That will bottle neck the exhaust flow.
There are so many factors that could have influenced whatever results whomever this person is thinks he has, and whatever he came up with well, I don't believe. Maybe he needs a better exhaust on the other side of the test pipe. Maybe something was up with his tune.
Maybe... he's just wrong?

·
Registered
65 Posts

Yeah, he's got to be wrong.
I don't care what BS anyone comes up with saying that a stock cat flows like a test pipe.
A pipe with nothing in it will always be more efficient than a pipe with something in it. (duh?)
I bet that 500hp 1.8t could have been a 525hp 1.8t if he had used a test pipe.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts