VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Brooklyn and drive 4-5k miles per year, mostly in the metro area with a handful of trips to New England for winter fun. I currently own a 97 RAV4 4dr 5spd AWD. I like its tiny footprint, low weight, fun handling, and all-weather prowess with the center-locking differential. It is almost perfect for me except for fuel economy (lately I've been getting ~15mpg average) and its complete lack of power (3rd gear downshifts are frequently required to climb east coast highway grades). Don't get me wrong, I love underpowered momentum cars, but this thing is literally the slowest car I've ever driven.

It needs upwards of $2000 in work (a new AC compressor and a line or two, as well as a complete suspension overhaul - thanks Brooklyn!). I have recently done the timing belt and water pump service, and it also sports a brand new starter and BFG ATs, but there's no guarantee it won't need something else expensive in the near term.

I'm considering leasing a subcompact for 2 years with 10,000 miles per year. A base 5spd Fiesta can be leased for $100/mo with ~$2500 down. It will be comfy and quiet and new, have working AC and even Bluetooth! It will return double the fuel economy, even in city driving!! I'd lose the AWD, ground clearance, and some interior space, but I'd gain comfort, economy, peace of mind, and probably some fun. Oh, and I can rallycross it without fear of it falling to pieces. :D

So, what say ye, wise and mighty TFL? $3000 down and $100/mo is all I'm willing to spend, so financing a new car is out of the question.

If there are any Ford salespersons in the NYC metro area shoot me a PM! :beer:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Why are you only getting 15 mpg? Seems like there's something wrong with it. Also, I'm surprised you have to downshift to 3rd on the highway. Those RAV4s have short gearing as it is. It's a relatively light car with 120 hp, it's not like a VW bus.

In any case, I doubt you'll save money by leasing a Fiesta. $3000 + 100/month is almost certainly more expensive than fixing the RAV4. And if you drive as little as you say, the lower fuel economy of the RAV won't break the bank.

If I wanted something newer I would get a 2005-2007 Focus hatch which should set you back around 5 grand, get good fuel economy, and you would own it after 2 years is up.

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
I live in Brooklyn and drive 4-5k miles per year, mostly in the metro area with a handful of trips to New England for winter fun. I currently own a 97 RAV4 4dr 5spd AWD. I like its tiny footprint, low weight, fun handling, and all-weather prowess with the center-locking differential. It is almost perfect for me except for fuel economy (lately I've been getting ~15mpg average) and its complete lack of power (3rd gear downshifts are frequently required to climb east coast highway grades). Don't get me wrong, I love underpowered momentum cars, but this thing is literally the slowest car I've ever driven.

It needs upwards of $2000 in work (a new AC compressor and a line or two, as well as a complete suspension overhaul - thanks Brooklyn!). I have recently done the timing belt and water pump service, and it also sports a brand new starter and BFG ATs, but there's no guarantee it won't need something else expensive in the near term.

I'm considering leasing a subcompact for 2 years with 10,000 miles per year. A base 5spd Fiesta can be leased for $100/mo with ~$2500 down. It will be comfy and quiet and new, have working AC and even Bluetooth! It will return double the fuel economy, even in city driving!! I'd lose the AWD, ground clearance, and some interior space, but I'd gain comfort, economy, peace of mind, and probably some fun. Oh, and I can rallycross it without fear of it falling to pieces. :D

So, what say ye, wise and mighty TFL? $3000 down and $100/mo is all I'm willing to spend, so financing a new car is out of the question.

If there are any Ford salespersons in the NYC metro area shoot me a PM! :beer:
Wut

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yeah, the first rule of TCL is 0 downpayment on the lease.

I personally did that recently and while I don't love what that did to my monthly, I take solace in the fact that if the car gets trashed, its not my money thats lost.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
It doesn't sound like you have enough money to afford anything beyond what you already have. If you must dump the RAV4, then you should be looking for a sub-$5k econobox if you really need a car at all...which you probably don't living in NYC.

Leasing is a stupid financial move...leasing with putting money down is even dumber.

·
Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,662 Posts
Get a clear price on how much it's going to cost you to fix the A/C in the Rav. It's going to be worth more used if that works so it's something to consider either way.

Could it be the monster truck tires hurting your fuel economy? It takes a lot of what-ifs on the side of your truck breaking to make the new car make sense even with the fuel economy gains, you're going to have to make up the difference in repairs after the lease payment plus tax etc, in order to come out on top financially by dumping your truck for the lease.

It's just a sure thing vs. a gamble on the Rav4 holding together. You're essentially betting what, $4000 odd dollars that your truck is going to break catastrophically within the next 3 years? It probably won't break. But if you have the new car bug none of us are going to talk you out of it. Why not look at a half decent 4cyl used car? You do have to pay for excess (read:any) wear and tear at the end of a lease. You can't just hand back an abused Fiesta that looks like a Rottweiler's toy tennis ball and walk away.

Get a real estimate on just the AC. Then figure out why your gas mileage (and power) are down. Maybe you have a clogged fuel system.

how much is your car worth now? is it decent or is it ready for the junk yard?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3k down is quite a large amount. I would try to avoid that if possible.
Yeah, the first rule of TCL is 0 downpayment on the lease.

I personally did that recently and while I don't love what that did to my monthly, I take solace in the fact that if the car gets trashed, its not my money thats lost.
point taken, i was simply targeting a monthly payment of $100 with their calculator.

I don't know that using a leased car for rallycross is the best idea
I can't imagine a couple rallycrosses each season are going to cause and more wear than driving around in Brooklyn. Grass, dirt, and gravel are much more forgiving than asphalt. Maybe I'm wrong? :confused: You've broken a new/rental car at rallycross before?

Too much in a down payment. Invest in bumper protectors. Consider a Smart. All I got :beer:

I wouldn't be leasing save the fact I have dedicated off street parking.
I park in an underground garage at home. Need 4 doors, so no Smart.

Why are you only getting 15 mpg? Seems like there's something wrong with it. Also, I'm surprised you have to downshift to 3rd on the highway. Those RAV4s have short gearing as it is. It's a relatively light car with 120 hp, it's not like a VW bus.

In any case, I doubt you'll save money by leasing a Fiesta. $3000 + 100/month is almost certainly more expensive than fixing the RAV4. And if you drive as little as you say, the lower fuel economy of the RAV won't break the bank.

If I wanted something newer I would get a 2005-2007 Focus hatch which should set you back around 5 grand, get good fuel economy, and you would own it after 2 years is up.
There is very possibly something wrong with it, but it throws no codes. It has new plugs and wires. Maybe an O2 sensor?

If I'm going to buy something used, it's probably going to be another CUV. I'm only looking at new subcompacts because they are about the same price as the used vehicles I'm interested in but come with a warranty.

That's with NYS tax and reg? What about excess wear and use when it's returned banged up?
No, not including TTL. What amount do you pay tax on when you lease, the amount of depreciation or the whole car?

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
I can't imagine a couple rallycrosses each season are going to cause and more wear than driving around in Brooklyn. Grass, dirt, and gravel are much more forgiving than asphalt. Maybe I'm wrong? :confused: You've broken a new/rental car at rallycross before?
You're putting the words "wear" and "tear" together. But, I'm putting the words "void" and "warranty" together. See where I'm going with this?

(and the paint damage that you are bound to cause that the dealer will make you pay for).

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
dump the RAV; join a carsharing program and/or rent appropriate vehicle when necessary :beer:
$1000s-down is dumb :thumbdown:
Never. I went without a car last year while I was living in Manhattan and it was the worst year of my adult life. I am an enthusiast and I must have a vehicle.

Get a clear price on how much it's going to cost you to fix the A/C in the Rav. It's going to be worth more used if that works so it's something to consider either way.

Could it be the monster truck tires hurting your fuel economy? It takes a lot of what-ifs on the side of your truck breaking to make the new car make sense even with the fuel economy gains, you're going to have to make up the difference in repairs after the lease payment plus tax etc, in order to come out on top financially by dumping your truck for the lease.

It's just a sure thing vs. a gamble on the Rav4 holding together. You're essentially betting what, $4000 odd dollars that your truck is going to break catastrophically within the next 3 years? It probably won't break. But if you have the new car bug none of us are going to talk you out of it. Why not look at a half decent 4cyl used car? You do have to pay for excess (read:any) wear and tear at the end of a lease. You can't just hand back an abused Fiesta that looks like a Rottweiler's toy tennis ball and walk away.

Get a real estimate on just the AC. Then figure out why your gas mileage (and power) are down. Maybe you have a clogged fuel system.

how much is your car worth now? is it decent or is it ready for the junk yard?
AC repair is 7-800. Needs shock/strut mounts too, they're driving me crazy.

Hardly monster truck tires at 0.5 in. taller and 4 lbs heavier than stock size. They impacted the mileage by ~1 when I first got them. It's worse now, but that could just be winter. Best ever tank was 21 mpg, 100% highway on worn tires of stock size after plugs and wires, so there's always been something funny.

You're right, I doubt it will fail catastrophically in the next 2-3 years. Any 15+ year old car makes me nervous though, even a Toyota with a known service history.

It doesn't sound like you have enough money to afford anything beyond what you already have. If you must dump the RAV4, then you should be looking for a sub-$5k econobox if you really need a car at all...which you probably don't living in NYC.

Leasing is a stupid financial move...leasing with putting money down is even dumber.
You'd be wrong, I'm quite comfortable with net worth in the black. :)

You're putting the words "wear" and "tear" together. But, I'm putting the words "void" and "warranty" together. See where I'm going with this?

(and the paint damage that you are bound to cause that the dealer will make you pay for).
I see what you did there. :laugh: I'm only half serious about the rallycross thing. In all reality I'll be renting a car for that.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

Oh here we go.

Its a personal preference. Leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.