VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
love the car! that color looks great, is this the SS you installed? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-A4-96-...es&fits=Make:Audi&hash=item2311d39e2f&vxp=mtr

i watched the video and wow.. the most annoying this about shifting my car is the distance from first to second feels like forever! ive wanted to buy one but can't find myself having enough money to buy a JHM one, is the one i linked the same you purchased?\

how bad was fixing the gas gauge? i got a fuel sending unit on my way currently hoping it won't be to hard fixing.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The link you posted is the same one I got, but with a shift knob. The exact one I got was the one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-A4-96-...99&hash=item2a11b9435d&vxp=mtr#ht_3351wt_1398

And as for the gas gauge, the hardest part for me was unscrewing the lid on the tank, it was really stuck on there. But after that, the sender unit was easy to take out, and then we soldered the broken wire back together, then put everything back together, and it worked really well. My brother helped me with it, but its not that hard of a project, and definitely worth it I think.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Haha thanks! This is my first car, and I have definitely learned everything I know from my brother. He knows his stuff!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Man I wish I had that car when I was 15. Put that HARDWOOD to use :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Cactus Avant - Welome , car looks great. Question, where did your friend with the black b5 in your pics pic that car up from? i see your from NY , was that black b5 bought out of Kingston NY? i Think its my old one !

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Cactus Avant - Welome , car looks great. Question, where did your friend with the black b5 in your pics pic that car up from? i see your from NY , was that black b5 bought out of Kingston NY? i Think its my old one !
That's me with the black b5 but nah that wasn't the one haha. I picked mine up bone stock in Bath a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey, sorry for the lack of updates lately. I've got a few. So we took my car to Waterfest, and on the way, an axle began to go. Perfect. It got pretty bad to the point where it wasn't safe. And what do you know, before I even have my license... my car gets towed. :(

Here's the damage:

So I had to replace that, and lining that thing up with the hub on the transmission was so bad, I ended up using a pen as I guide (not recommended. Use something stronger, like a screwdriver) The pen broke, and I had to take the axle off and clean out the pen shards, and restart. But eventually I got it in, and now everything works just fine.

While I was at it, I had time to change my diverter valve, air filter (to K&N) and put in my heat shield as well.

And today, I put on my new plate I got made at Waterfest :D:

I could do a easy little DIY on putting the license plate on if anyone wants, or just ask.

Typical day...

Brother is putting in his big turbo, I'm just doing some detailing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage. I am also 15 and my first car is a b5. Your car looks great man, love the trunk! Might copy, but i dont know how well that would look in a sedan..

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Sorry to hear about the damage. I am also 15 and my first car is a b5. Your car looks great man, love the trunk! Might copy, but i dont know how well that would look in a sedan..
Thanks! That's so cool to see another 15 year old with a B5. The wood floor is one of my favorite mods so far, everybody seems to love it too. I'd love to see your car too.

·
Banned
631 Posts
I also really like the hardwood trunk floor idea, i am picking up my 01 Hibiscus 1.8t 5spd Avant tomorrow, hardwood floor along with the same ebay short shifter you have, and my electronic podi stepper motor boost gauge and pod are gonna be some of my first few mods... btw thanks for that helpful video you did comparing OEM shifter to EbaySS, really awesome :thumbup: will be watching this thread!:popcorn:

21 - 40 of 535 Posts