VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

481 - 500 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
GREAT JOB! Car looks awesome. I was wondering if we'd ever see the S4 bumper installed and it looks great! Any more plans in the future?
Thanks guys! I was starting to wonder the same thing :laugh:

As far as future plans, this thing will never be "done", so yes, there are a few. I would really like to get a flat bottom steering wheel from one of the newer Audis, S4 cluster, facelift taillights, new radio (something with Apple CarPlay that doesn't look awful), possibly some porsche brakes up front, and most importantly, a 4.2 V8 swap. The 4.2 swap might be put off until I graduate though since this is my only car currently, and I don't really have the time or the space to do the swap. I am collecting parts for it. Honestly, I'm just loving the car right now. Nothing is too urgent right now. I've had it on the track a few times as well and its surprised me how well it does and how much fun it is.

I am toying with the idea of a Cupra R lip though.... thoughts?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Cupra R lip definitely car looks insane man, somewhat similar to mine ;) jealous of the front bumper though, makes mine look like crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
P1020124 by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr

Sorry for the screen smudges. Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple CarPlay, handsfree calling, bluetooth, etc. Love it. Hate the plastic bezel install kit... All in all, I'm a huge fan. Makes daily driving a lot nicer. Feels like the car is a few years newer. I was able to get it for only $270 over black friday which was a plus.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Love the interior combo, classy and sporty all in one.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I remember seeing this thread like five years ago, it's crazy that you've still got it. I love how clean it looks and the current interior color goes really well with the green

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Did you find an avant rear bench? Or did you do some custom stuff?

Also what's the story on the wood trim up top on the center console! I dig it.
Yeah, I actually found the rear bench backs from another forum member in Kentucky and had them shipped up. It was super lucky that someone had avant rear seats in leather and was willing to sell just the rears. Apparently the others weren't in great shape, so I really lucked out there! I was about to give up on ever completing the set

As for the upper console wood trim, I think you might be the first person to notice something special about it. I was searching through my local junkyard one day and I found a mid-facelift car that had the same wood trim. I was under the impression that the upper console trim piece in that specific wood trim didn't exist, but it came in a few mid-facelifts apparently! Unfortunately, the ash tray and shift surround wouldn't fit though, since the mid-facelift center console is really odd. I grabbed the ash tray anyway because its got to be a super rare part, but I have no use for it. As for my shift surround, I just wrapped it in a similar wood vinyl, which I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. But yeah overall, I was pretty stoked to find that upper console piece :)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
I remember seeing this thread like five years ago, it's crazy that you've still got it. I love how clean it looks and the current interior color goes really well with the green
Thanks! Ever since I bought the car, it'd been my dream color combo. It took forever to find the parts, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. In a couple months I'll be coming up on 7 years of ownership now which is pretty crazy. I hope I can stick with it and keep it forever, but we will see how things go. I just never get bored of B5s :)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Yeah, I actually found the rear bench backs from another forum member in Kentucky and had them shipped up. It was super lucky that someone had avant rear seats in leather and was willing to sell just the rears. Apparently the others weren't in great shape, so I really lucked out there! I was about to give up on ever completing the set

As for the upper console wood trim, I think you might be the first person to notice something special about it. I was searching through my local junkyard one day and I found a mid-facelift car that had the same wood trim. I was under the impression that the upper console trim piece in that specific wood trim didn't exist, but it came in a few mid-facelifts apparently! Unfortunately, the ash tray and shift surround wouldn't fit though, since the mid-facelift center console is really odd. I grabbed the ash tray anyway because its got to be a super rare part, but I have no use for it. As for my shift surround, I just wrapped it in a similar wood vinyl, which I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. But yeah overall, I was pretty stoked to find that upper console piece :)
Ahhhh I'm so jealous you found that! I've been looking for that forever! Really nice find, maybe you can trim the pieces to get them to fit? Might be able to. I picked up some walnut burl veneer I'm going to try to get to work on.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The new head unit looks great, as far as the bezel for the install kit goes, have you thought of plastidipping it? It'll look very similar to the OEM soft-touch and should hold up well.

Are you going to opening day at Watkins Glen this year?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
Damn. Love this thing so much.
Thanks man!

Ahhhh I'm so jealous you found that! I've been looking for that forever! Really nice find, maybe you can trim the pieces to get them to fit? Might be able to. I picked up some walnut burl veneer I'm going to try to get to work on.
I'm just glad it exists! If I find another one, I will definitely let you know. I'm definitely going to try and see if I can do anything about the ash tray. Unfortunately the car it came from was automatic, so the shift surround is all sorts of wrong for my car. The veneer is actually a pretty good idea. Im definitely interested to see how that turns out.

The new head unit looks great, as far as the bezel for the install kit goes, have you thought of plastidipping it? It'll look very similar to the OEM soft-touch and should hold up well.

Are you going to opening day at Watkins Glen this year?
Thanks man. Well, the biggest thing that annoys me about it is the fact that it has that extra ring around it, so there's like a tiny gap between the outer ring and the bigger face plate. I wish it could somehow be one piece. They don't fit together as flushly as Id like them to.

As far as Watkins goes, yes, the plan right now is to be up there on opening day. Pretty excited.

Also, I need some opinions. I bought these calipers which are from a Boxster S, and I would like to refinish them, but I really can't decide what color to do. I could keep them red, but on a green car, I'm kind of skeptical. I was also thinking yellow, a gold color, or just basic silver. Someone convince me what color to do.

Brembos by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr

·
Registered
902 Posts
As far as Watkins goes, yes, the plan right now is to be up there on opening day. Pretty excited.
Nice! I'm gonna try and make it up there as well, hopefully I'll see ya! I've been trying to go again for a couple years but since I no longer go to RIT it's more of a trek haha

Also, I need some opinions. I bought these calipers which are from a Boxster S, and I would like to refinish them, but I really can't decide what color to do. I could keep them red, but on a green car, I'm kind of skeptical. I was also thinking yellow, a gold color, or just basic silver. Someone convince me what color to do.
Yellow with black Porsche lettering would look great, here's a pic for reference

I'm slightly biased though as I'm generally a big fan of yellow calipers haha

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
I had my calipers redone in the most exciting color I could think of :rolleyes:

P1030205 by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr
P1030208 by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr
P1030210 by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr

I can not begin to explain how good of a job Renewed Finishes did on these for such a good price. Quality is so good, and I could literally eat off them they are so clean. I also rebuilt them with new seals and such. I went to put them on today and ran into two issues - one sucks, and the other SUCKS.

First, the brake line nut on the passenger side is so rusted that I cannot get it off and might have to cut the line and reflate it with a new nut.

Second, check out my front subframe

Wow by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr
Wow by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr

So I am aggressively looking for a new front subframe, and I think this just pushed me over the edge with this car. If I'm going to replace this subframe, I'm putting a v6 frame in, notching it, and then putting a 4.2 in. I'm tired of the 4 cylinder life. The car has 200k on it now, the 1.8 served it purpose. Its time for something new

481 - 500 of 535 Posts