VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

501 - 520 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Porsche brakes are on! Loving them so far. Good stopping power, easier to service, and they look great. Can't see them all that well behind the flat fives to be honest, but I love them. I'll post some pictures soon.

Brakes by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr

Front brake lines were not in good shape at all and I ended up having to cut one and re-flare it and I just replaced the other one with a clean junkyard line since its so short and easy to swap.

In other news, I swapped my front subframe since mine was getting dangerously rusty. I used a subframe from an S4 and replaced the drivers side trans mount/bracket from the 1.8t with a 2.8 mount/bracket
Car stuff and things by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr
2.8 on top, 1.8 on bottom

·
Registered
877 Posts
Those brakes look real nice, now you got me thinking. Those hard lines looked pretty crusty dusty, isn't flaring brake lines so much fun lol.
I'm surprised you found a replacement subframe that was so clean. Glad you got that taken care of. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #507

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
Details on the drivetrain?
So, nothing tooooo crazy to be honest, but its a 5 speed still, 140k on the engine and its got a brand new clutch and flywheel (only stock 2.8 :( ), timing and water pump just done, K&N filter, B6 S4 intake tube, Milltek race downpipes, AWE twin 2 exhaust with custom x-pipe, AWE drivetrain stabilizer bar, Gruvenparts metal intake flapper kit, 034 SAI block off kit, VAG Autoworks S8 tune, USP Motorsports metal slave cylinder conversion with stainless clutch line and clutch master flow control valve. Not directly drivetrain related, its got S4 Avant seats, Stratmosphere short shifter, VMAXX coils, S4 front brakes and aluminum uprights, and some other small stuff. Its nothing crazy, but I got it for a good deal.

The car itself has 248k miles on it lol. I'll be parting out the car soon and swapping the engine into my avant. Just need to figure out a little more on wiring from an AEB. Doesn't seem like anyone starts with an AEB car, and for good reason.

P1040058 by Spencer Kohli, on Flickr

·
Registered
877 Posts
That thing is rough!
Glad you got a your hands on a 4.2, now I guess it's a race to see who can complete the swap first :laugh:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
That thing is rough!
Glad you got a your hands on a 4.2, now I guess it's a race to see who can complete the swap first :laugh:
Its beat haha. Somehow it runs and drives really well. Steering and suspension are tight. I guess the control arms were just replaced with 034s and S4 tie rods put on.

I think I've got the upper hand on having all the parts I need collected, but you've definitely got the upper hand on wiring haha

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor, source a 6 speed drivetrain, and then get a 2.8 Southbend heavy duty clutch setup. More money up front but you will not enjoy the 5 speed, trust me on this

·
Registered
Mk3 VRT, Mk4 VRT, B5 VRT, A3 VRT, B6 VR, B5 BT
4,953 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor, source a 6 speed drivetrain, and then get a 2.8 Southbend heavy duty clutch setup. More money up front but you will not enjoy the 5 speed, trust me on this
And if you do... replace that 1-2 shift collar. I have not had luck with any high mileage 01E transmissions on their original 1-2 collars. Looking forward to the swap though.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
I have heard the 6 speed is way better for the swap a couple times, but I've really not heard much as to why. I'm assuming its mostly due to the gearing and highway driving. I will see if I can find the funds to support this before I do the swap. Still in college, so funds are a little tight. Can you explain a little more about why the 6 speed and heavy duty clutch are so much better? It seems to drive well, but I haven't driven it enough to be too sure, and not on the highway or anything.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I have heard the 6 speed is way better for the swap a couple times, but I've really not heard much as to why. I'm assuming its mostly due to the gearing and highway driving. I will see if I can find the funds to support this before I do the swap. Still in college, so funds are a little tight. Can you explain a little more about why the 6 speed and heavy duty clutch are so much better? It seems to drive well, but I haven't driven it enough to be too sure, and not on the highway or anything.
With my swap 60mph in 5th is somewhere around 3800rpm. With a 6 speed you’ll drop that quite a bit. As for the clutch the stock 2.8 is only rated for stock 2.8 - 200hp around whatever. The heavy duty is rated for 350-400hp something, so it should last a lot longer. That’s what I have on mine, although I think my swap has like 150 miles on it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
That 4.2 swap is going to be rad!

Did that donor car start out as a 2.8 or 1.8T? 2.8 cars aren't geared as tall as 1.8Ts so the ratios will be better suited to the 4.2. I swapped a 2.8 5-speed into my old B5 1.8T (after the original 5-speed inexplicably ate itself) and the difference in gearing was noticeable. I was able to hit 60 in 2nd with the 2.8 trans, something that was not possible with the 1.8T's original unit.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
With my swap 60mph in 5th is somewhere around 3800rpm. With a 6 speed you’ll drop that quite a bit. As for the clutch the stock 2.8 is only rated for stock 2.8 - 200hp around whatever. The heavy duty is rated for 350-400hp something, so it should last a lot longer. That’s what I have on mine, although I think my swap has like 150 miles on it.
Ouch, I didn't realize it was that bad... I'll start looking into 6 speeds and see what I can find. This could get expensive real fast haha. Good to know, thanks.

That 4.2 swap is going to be rad!

Did that donor car start out as a 2.8 or 1.8T? 2.8 cars aren't geared as tall as 1.8Ts so the ratios will be better suited to the 4.2. I swapped a 2.8 5-speed into my old B5 1.8T (after the original 5-speed inexplicably ate itself) and the difference in gearing was noticeable. I was able to hit 60 in 2nd with the 2.8 trans, something that was not possible with the 1.8T's original unit.
It was originally a 1.8t, but that's interesting. I wonder if it would make enough of a difference to be worth buying a 2.8 trans. I mean they can be had for pretty cheap, and then I wouldn't have to swap anything else in the drivetrain. I guess it just all depends on how different the gearing really is. Thats something I'm definitely going to look into too :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Ouch, I didn't realize it was that bad... I'll start looking into 6 speeds and see what I can find. This could get expensive real fast haha. Good to know, thanks.
If you piece it together it’s not bad. I picked up a drivetrain minus trans for $400. And bought a b6 01e from a junkyard for $250.

Recently my buddy and I went to the yard on a 50% holiday sale and scooped a b6 01e for $100ish

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
If you piece it together it’s not bad. I picked up a drivetrain minus trans for $400. And bought a b6 01e from a junkyard for $250.

Recently my buddy and I went to the yard on a 50% holiday sale and scooped a b6 01e for $100ish
Well thats not too bad at all. 3800 at 60 has me all worried now. I'll look into it, thanks for the info :thumbup:

501 - 520 of 535 Posts