VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure you guys know what im talking about: The one where the family gets so excited about having a 97 Camry in their family and then buying a new Camry hybrid. I mean, is a Camry that exciting??..its an appliance..a very good one, but still, an appliance....Hell i think every family at one point has a Camry, i know mine did..i drove one for some years..

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, XL40
15,373 Posts
It's called "marketing".

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
Its an appliance but so was the 1992 Jetta my parents handed down to me.

Only mine was diesel and if you tailgated me I could let a fury of black smoke out at you. It was a sweet car, but an appliance none the less.

I think that Toyota is a great commercial from a marketing point of view. Annoying as it is......

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an appliance but so was the 1992 Jetta my parents handed down to me.

Only mine was diesel and if you tailgated me I could let a fury of black smoke out at you. It was a sweet car, but an appliance none the less.

I think that Toyota is a great commercial from a marketing point of view. Annoying as it is......
yeah its a good ad, but it is annoying cause it comes on every 5 mins here lol.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,600 Posts
Im sure you guys know what im talking about: The one where the family gets so excited about having a 97 Camry in their family and then buying a new Camry hybrid. I mean, is a Camry that exciting??..its an appliance..a very good one, but still, an appliance....Hell i think every family at one point has a Camry, i know mine did..i drove one for some years..
I said the same thing to my girlfriend about that commercial. I hate all commercials, so I certainly wasn't going to make a thread on TCL about it, but....

That family makes white people look bad.

They are about as exciting as a Thomas Kinkade painting with a manilla envelope pasted on top of it, hanging on brown wall, in a brown hallway, with light and dark brown linoleum floor tiles arranged in an alternating pattern.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I said the same thing to my girlfriend about that commercial. I hate all commercials, so I certainly wasn't going to make a thread on TCL about it, but....

That family makes white people look bad.

They are about as exciting as a Thomas Kinkade painting with a manilla envelope pasted on top of it, hanging on brown wall, in a brown hallway, with light and dark brown linoleum floor tiles arranged in an alternating pattern.
:D:D lol. No i was just surprised as to how excited they got about a Camry; u wud think those kids would want a sporty coupe or vert or something...if it was a Celica, then yeah that makes sense.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this the thread where we all masturbate each other about how we're so much better than regular people who are excited to get a new car that isn't up to our standards?
lol its not that the Camry is up to our standards...its just interesting to see someone get so excited over one..or a group of people nonetheless.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
Why not? If I drove a sunfire I'd S myself if I got a new Camry.

·
Banned
26,433 Posts
To the average person a brand new Camry Hybrid would be excited for a myriad of reasons:

1. It's new...new is always good
2. It's a hybrid...better fuel economy FTW
3. It's probably got USB/iPod connection which the 97 wouldn't have
4. It's got a warranty
5. It's bigger and more comfy

I can see why a non-enthusiast would be excited to have one.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To the average person a brand new Camry Hybrid would be excited for a myriad of reasons:

1. It's new...new is always good
2. It's a hybrid...better fuel economy FTW
3. It's probably got USB/iPod connection which the 97 wouldn't have
4. It's got a warranty
5. It's bigger and more comfy

I can see why a non-enthusiast would be excited to have one.
well i guess when u put it that way, it makes sense..but still, to all us enthusiasts, its jsut a blah mobile..hell it was a blah mobile when i was 16 and used to drive one.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i think a typical conversation would be more along the lines of:

"You're not getting you're own car, you're getting your Mom's camry."
"WHAT??!! but my friends are all getting to pick their own cars! I'd rather have a 5,000 dollar car that i picked out than Mom's Camry. Everyone will think i'm a soccer mom"
"Nope, We're the ones getting a new car. A Camry HYBRID, so we can save money on fuel, and put your lazy ass through college in a few years. When you start earning your own money, you can buy a new car. Until then, you get the old camry."
"Whatever. FINE!!!!!!!! wahwahwahwahwah"

As it should be...

·
Registered
47,898 Posts
My conversation with my daughter would likely go more like this:

"You're not getting you're own car, you're getting your Mom's camry."
"WHAT??!! but my friends are all getting to pick their own cars! I'd rather have a 5,000 dollar car that i picked out than Mom's Camry. Everyone will think i'm a soccer mom"
"OK, you're not getting your mom's Camry."
"But... but... but.
"Too late."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.