VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1424 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Isn’t there a law somewhere against driving something as beautiful as a Rolls Royce in the snow and salt? If not, there should be. :LOL:

🍺
In the winter, it only comes out on days when the weather and the roads are dry. Worst that happens is it gets dusty, but no salt or road grime.

·
Registered
48,745 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: 17_AllTrack

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3, '21 S60 T8R
3,304 Posts
perfect day to have the mobile installer put on my winter tires.... 40mph wind and pouring rain. Doesn't help that I had to mount them on the car myself because ocd...

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
perfect day to have the mobile installer put on my winter tires.... 40mph wind and pouring rain. Doesn't help that I had to mount them on the car myself because ocd...
How do you like the mobile installer? Seems so much easier, so much less hassle than to load the car up with the tires and go to dealer or wherever.

Does the mobile installer have touchless equipment so the wheels don't get ruined?

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I put the HT on the Jeep in early October planning to put the soft top back on but it never got that warm again. So I didn’t. That’s the only winter prep the Jeep gets.

S2000 got a fluid change a few weeks ago, and will get the winter wheel set mounted for storage soon. Then I just top off the gas tank, throw some Sta-BIL in, and put the cover on. Done.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 12 QX56 10 A6 Avant 88 16v Scirocco
11,833 Posts
S2000 got a fluid change a few weeks ago, and will get the winter wheel set mounted for storage soon. Then I just top off the gas tank, throw some Sta-BIL in, and put the cover on. Done.
Does this stay local now or are you still taking it up north?

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Does this stay local now or are you still taking it up north?
Local. My detached garage is behind the house, and my wife is afraid to back her car down the drive next to the brick house wall so she parks in front of the house. Leaves both garage spots for me in the back.

Also the one side of the garage is not real easy to get in and out of, especially in a large SUV, but it works fine for the little S2000. So not looking to put two vehicles back there.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3, '21 S60 T8R
3,304 Posts
How do you like the mobile installer? Seems so much easier, so much less hassle than to load the car up with the tires and go to dealer or wherever.

Does the mobile installer have touchless equipment so the wheels don't get ruined?
it went alright. He scuffed one wheel, but I think I can get it off. They also didn't have a roadforce machine, just a normal one, but so far I feel no vibration so might be fine. I was the one putting them on the car so I can torque the lug nuts so I don't know if he would have done that had I let him do it. With disposal of the old tires, it came out to $170 which is steep but convenient so I'm fine with it. I mean, I could have taken them to work and done them there, but thats a pain in the rear

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
it went alright. He scuffed one wheel, but I think I can get it off. They also didn't have a roadforce machine, just a normal one, but so far I feel no vibration so might be fine. I was the one putting them on the car so I can torque the lug nuts so I don't know if he would have done that had I let him do it. With disposal of the old tires, it came out to $170 which is steep but convenient so I'm fine with it. I mean, I could have taken them to work and done them there, but thats a pain in the rear
$170? That’s VERY steep. Around here it’s usually $15-20/wheel to mount. Maybe $2-5/tire to dispose.

·
Registered
48,745 Posts
$170? That’s VERY steep. Around here it’s usually $15-20/wheel to mount. Maybe $2-5/tire to dispose.
Really? You can spend under $100 to get someone to drive his service truck to your house, mount and balance 4 tires, and dispose of the old one? In Chicago?

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
yeah but its mobile and that isn't free. Not going to work on my day off makes it all worth while
I guess. But it’s ~$100 more than going to my local shop. That’s a lot IMO.

I’m lucky, I have a Meineke around the corner that does decent work. I also have an extra set of wheels for my S2000 so it’s no big deal to take the set I want mounted, drop them off and leave them for a few days and pick them up at my leisure.

1361 - 1380 of 1424 Posts