VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1401 - 1420 of 1424 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Four out of 12 tires changed over so far...I'll start on the rest this weekend.
Winter mats will go in soon.

Reactions: x(why)z

·
Registered
2018 Passat GT, 2017 Tiguan RLine
1,182 Posts
3rd season on these. No complaints.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Reactions: Atl-Atl

·
Registered
2020 718 Cayman GT4 (Miami Blue)
1,516 Posts
Same mode as last year (GT4 in winter), but now I actually have a place to store the tires instead of the dealership charging to store them (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N1, OZ Leggera HLT):
Automotive tire Automotive design Lifebuoy Rim Synthetic rubber

Yes, that rack is as wide as it can safely go to mount on the studs and it just fits the 295s (11in wheel) and 245s (8.5in wheel). (Well, as you can see it sort of doesn't fit - that bike lock is for safety)

Reactions: ghost03

·
Premium Member
8,087 Posts
Factory wheels with Blizzaks went on over the weekend. Perfect timing - we got hit with our first snow yesterday. Obviously the salt trucks were eager to hit the road.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
42,389 Posts

Closeup of the new rubber...first time trying a set of "all weather" tires (i.e. all seasons with the 3PMS designation).

Let me know how you like them. Been looking for something like that for Subaru duty but I keep finding gently used sets of rubber with wheels for less than $300 a set. For a while I had 4 extra sets of wheels for three cars 🤣

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
7,184 Posts
Same mode as last year (GT4 in winter), but now I actually have a place to store the tires instead of the dealership charging to store them (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N1, OZ Leggera HLT):
View attachment 135750
Yes, that rack is as wide as it can safely go to mount on the studs and it just fits the 295s (11in wheel) and 245s (8.5in wheel). (Well, as you can see it sort of doesn't fit - that bike lock is for safety)
That rack:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Winter mode. B6 Passat Monte Carlos and fresh Continental VikingContact 7's in 225/45R17. No snow yet, but these tires have been good so far--feels a bit more composed and quieter than my last set of General Altimax Arctics on another vehicle in the fleet.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Winter mode. B6 Passat Monte Carlos and fresh Continental VikingContact 7's in 225/45R17.
We have the same tires on our 2021 Golf, love them. Question, do they seem smaller to you than other 225/45R17's? In your picture they look a bit small and on our car they kind of look small enough to be dorky looking. Had I known I would have gone with 50 series versions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have the same tires on our 2021 Golf, love them. Question, do they seem smaller to you than other 225/45R17's? In your picture they look a bit small and on our car they kind of look small enough to be dorky looking. Had I known I would have gone with 50 series versions.
That didn't really cross my mind--I was most concerned about keeping the same diameter/speedo readings. I do agree that some tread patterns definitely look a bit more aggressive than others. From the side the Viking 7's look fairly pedestrian.

·
Registered
Mk2 Jetta Turbo Diesel
50 Posts
I don't drive that much but we have 3 miles of unimproved roads to get to the nearest paved road Besides winter we have sloppy muddy roads. Amish buggies and plenty of horse apples.

I last ran Firestone Winterforce in 155x13. After 11 years this year, I put on Dunlop Wintermaxx2 tires in 175x70x13. Generally like the narrower for snow and ice but 155 snow tires are NLA.
Tire Wheel Light Automotive tire Black

A local dealer got them and put them on all 4 corners for 82 each including balancing, stems and installation. Haven't had any weather this year that I have had to drive in but they are much smoother and quieter than the old worn Winterforce tires.

1401 - 1420 of 1424 Posts