VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
821 - 840 of 871 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
010 087 uprated parts

Hi, noobie with 3-speeds.

Looking for parts for a 087 mated to 450hp. No dragracing in mind, RWD and street tires.

Chrome Moly pump, brakebands, inputshafts, Manual valve body...

Thanks in advance!

(I know that I should post in classifieds, but the ad would be lost with all the other ads. Better to communicate to the enthusiasts directly.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
so. i put in a trans oil cooler because i had one laying around and well because its fun. also put in a trans temp gauge. it never registers, starts at 135F. after a highway drive i can tough the trans pan no problem. cool trans fluid is perfectly ok as long as it isnt REALLY cold, to lose lube properties.

but i was wondering, do these 010 trans normally run on the cold side? id think, a 3 speed at 60mph and 3500 rpm would heat up decently.

its not a nice ride, i drive a little white knuckled waiting for it to breakdown all Michael Bay style... so a trans problem wouldnt be surprising. but it shifts, doesnt slip, so i plan on running it till she dont work no more! then make it a hobby of fixing it again, what a fun car just to DO stuff too.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....=ada2e07668f0045d47ef0c03f7d9edf2&oe=5774EF48

·
Registered
458 Posts
Vw uses the fins on the torque converter to cool the fluid. But an extra cooler is always better. I can't remember my trans temps while cruising. I had a nice long cooler from a new dodge caravan on mine and it worked great!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
what are the odd's of someone who has any tall ratio 010 gear set's?

eg. TC, TD, TG, TJ, YH?

I've got a full transaxle engineering "race" spec kit with all their top of the line fruit & a high stall built.

Just need some better suited ratios to suit a turbo'd setup & also for better hwy cruising rpm's with 22.7" tall tyres.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Add me onto this list of ever-growing 010 builders. I picked up an '88 Cabriolet that is a factory auto and I honestly love it. I'm planning to build the car as a daily so being an auto is a huge plus. Currently the car has 140,XXX and the trans shifts/drives fine. However preparing for the worst I want to know what I will need. I'm planning on a 276 or 288 cam with dual 40dcoes and a full 2.25" exhaust. (Keeping stock hydraulic head and 1.8L 8v lower). I know it's not some high HP racecar but I don't want something giving out on my way to work!

Looking for:
LSD
beefier internals
firmer/quicker shifts

·
Registered
67 Posts
What does one do with a 010 that isnt needed? are they valuable to sell? (Above 100 bucks?) I never could find a code on it using all the supposed locations. It is out now tho so maybe i could scour it more. Came out of a 79 scirocco.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I remember doing a lot of reading up on performance mods to the 010. Never ran across pros or cons of running the 1.8T so if it never came up id say it wasn’t an issue with the boost to trans ratio. Really it’d depend more on what the 010 came out of and what year, the final drive would be the big player in how well they mate. And that would just be trial and error.

One article was guys pushing horsepower, the trans would hold and shift great but they’d always break the 90mm axles. The other issue was lack of lube and cooling to the bearings.

Easy mods. Stiffen up the slush box’s shifting. Add a trans cooler.
Tough mods. Drill an oil hole to the faulty bearing. I know that article is buried in here somewhere.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Just a heads up. I've got a Porsche 944 087 and a VW Golf TJ transmission that I'm going to marry with a bunch of mods/tricks to get it to work. I believe the 087 will have a different ratio 3 speed with a 4 planet gear set. The TJ ring/pinion will allow a lower engine RPM at freeway speeds. A Peloquin 80% mini slip is in the works too. 90mm to 100mm axles are also part of the mods. All for a 91 Cabriolet.

One thing that is mentioned in this thread is the oil cooler modification. It does not seem right that you would tap into the pressure side of the transmission. Coolers are normally installed on the return side of the torque converter. I need to find out how to do that.

I do not do pictures but I believe I need to start doing that.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
So the first TJ transmission is DOA. There was water in the case and therefore ruined one of the differential gears. Sucks to be me. So I ordered another one. Just $400 down the drain. Oh well, if I need parts, I should have a bunch left over.

But the good news is that the Porsche transmission is a 4 planet gear set. I quickly took things apart and I'm happy to say the clutches are not overheated and are in good shape. I will be replacing the clutches anyway, but it's nice to know that there was not anything major going on. Nice bronze bushings instead of the plastic version in the VW 010. The case numbers are the same and appear to be that way. Once I get things apart further, I will know better.

More to come, pictures coming too.

821 - 840 of 871 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.