VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
im currently doing a mk4 r32 engine swap into my mk4 2.8 4motion 2000 model,so it does have the stronger gearbox,i also have the mk4 r32 gearbox that came with the engine,which of the 2 gearbox would be a better choice as i am planing to go the turbo route as soon as everything is up and runing.thanks
I guess you'll be happier with the non-R32 box. Just remember to reinforce the shifting forks...

·
Registered
278 Posts
does anybody know the power capabilities of the rear diff and clutch assembly? I know the front can take quite a lot of abuse, but what about the rear... is a rear diff upgrade necessary for anything over 500WHP... is there a possible torque limit on the rear clutch, if so, are there any upgrade offerings?

Also... where does the Haldex pump sit?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
does anybody know the power capabilities of the rear diff and clutch assembly? I know the front can take quite a lot of abuse, but what about the rear... is a rear diff upgrade necessary for anything over 500WHP... is there a possible torque limit on the rear clutch, if so, are there any upgrade offerings?

Also... where does the Haldex pump sit?
Here's the manual for the Haldex:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_206.pdf

I'm not 100 % sure, but I've heard it can take 1300 Nm.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Great thread, I had already modified the shift forks before finding this but anyone have experience with the best flywheel to use with these boxes?
My R32 turbo project is using the gearbox from the 2.8 Bora 4M instead of the R32 one as its believed to be a stronger unit.
I'm currently running a southbend clutch with steel flywheel and peloquin diff but the chatter at idle is terrible, it all goes away when the clutch is depressed but is there a better solution out there?

As far as I understand the dual mass flywheel dampens out these harmonics so is there any single mass kit that can also do this?
I doubt a stock clutch would last very long with a turbo application.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Great thread, I had already modified the shift forks before finding this but anyone have experience with the best flywheel to use with these boxes?
My R32 turbo project is using the gearbox from the 2.8 Bora 4M instead of the R32 one as its believed to be a stronger unit.
I'm currently running a southbend clutch with steel flywheel and peloquin diff but the chatter at idle is terrible, it all goes away when the clutch is depressed but is there a better solution out there?

As far as I understand the dual mass flywheel dampens out these harmonics so is there any single mass kit that can also do this?
I doubt a stock clutch would last very long with a turbo application.
http://www.dmmotorsport.com/112_dm_motorsport_clutch_kit.html

I guess this is the best flywheel/clutch kit available.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Question is will it still chatter as much as a single mass single plate clutch?
My Southbend one is holding fine but its noisy / clattery.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
FV-QR

Vegard said:
For the 6-cylinder boxes, one gearbox is stronger than the oter models. This is the DRP and it was delivered in Golf Mk4 2.8 l. 4Motion 1999-2000. This is maybe the best start for a transmission for high effects. Cluth housing from a 4-cylinder engine can be mounted to the 6-cylinder gearbox.
Would you happen to know if/where you could order the 4 cylinder O2M clutch housing? Part number maybe? I'm thinking you could possibly pick up a R32 transmission and change out the clutch housing and be good to go...

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Would you happen to know if/where you could order the 4 cylinder O2M clutch housing? Part number maybe? I'm thinking you could possibly pick up a R32 transmission and change out the clutch housing and be good to go...
1.8 Audi TT were common. so should be easy to find at a local wrecker.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts