VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help - A quick question regarding VW Sharan 2.8L, VR6 1996

I was unable to find a replacement gearbox for the 1996 VR6, 2.8L and my smart mechanic rebuilt the auto transmission gearbox with a MkIII interior. It works but the ratios are all wrong for such a heavy car and powerful engine.

With your in depth knowledge of these gearboxes, which one can I use interior to rebuild the current box?

Since these gear boxes are so rare, what modification can be done? Do they fit in with any other?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Any more information on how to reinforce the 02M casing? I remember SQS had a solution for that but can't seem to find it.
Maybe someone else offers a solution?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Just get a DRP gearbox and be done with it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
OK maybe for a track/drag car but i wouldn`t want either of those put on a road used car.

You can get a forged gear kit now which is well worth getting if you can afford it. DemonR32 is a good friend of mine and is a very honest and knowledgeable person.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7136836-New-gearkit

·
Registered
987 Posts
The end plate : You drilling two holes in ali/mag cast and then putting a bolt through each hole into a plate to "strengthen" the end of the case. The bolt holes have to be 100% correct in alignment plus hopefully not case any hair line cracking or heat around the drill noles that will weaken the cast. The bolts need to fit the holes 100% tight with no slack movement so heat up the case and freeze the bolts to fit. All the strain is then put on the bolt holes as the case tries to flex not on the total case area. Basically a very bad idea and design.
Fourth gear support : Again drilling the case and problem inherent with that. The "support" is a brass bar you screw in that will rub against the rotation gear shaft if it starts to move. Steel is hard , brass is soft. You are constantly going to have to check the brass bar to see how tight it is as you cannot see otherwise it will quickly do nothing. If the brass bar was steel and held some bearing that where fitted around the gear shaft in place that would be a much better idea. If it was me i would have designed it so the steel bar stayed inside the gearbox case and could be tightened on a thread to a plate internally.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
The cases are magnesium. I offer a two piece system which ties in the 1-4 race bearing housing to the outer trans case. And then tie it into the input shaft housing. It takes the ~7mm touch system and makes it ~20mm thick solid magnesium. It is machined and welded (magnesium plate/rod to the cast magnesium case) eliminating the possibility for shaft deflection.

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
The cases are magnesium. I offer a two piece system which ties in the 1-4 race bearing housing to the outer trans case. And then tie it into the input shaft housing. It takes the ~7mm touch system and makes it ~20mm thick solid magnesium. It is machined and welded (magnesium plate/rod to the cast magnesium case) eliminating the possibility for shaft deflection.
What is the cost of this conversion ?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy a final drive for the o2m that has a ratio for 1st-4th somewhere close to 3.59-3.45?
Or atleast a transmission I can purchase and swap parts?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts