VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
301 - 320 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure where to start.. advise?

Hi everyone. Pardon my noobness but I'm new-ish to imports. Was a strictly american make kind of gal until I got this VW. Had it 5 years now, never had issues with anything major that I couldn't handle. But now I am stumped.... Here's the history:

Took it to a local shop because of "ticking". They replaced the flex plate between the tranny and drive train, the timing belt, serpentine, etc. Nothing major. But they did have the tranny out of the car.. This was between March 8th and 16th this year. Fast forward to March 28th and it starts having shifting issues. Mainly it started with selector problems, P to R fine, R to D would get stuck in N. Seemed just to be a little glitch. Next thing I know, it goes into limp mode on me last night. Display on the panel is solid black in the background after about 2 minutes of driving, definitely stuck in limp mode/3rd. I don't have access to a vagcom but I did get a generic OBD-II on it and it's coming up:

P1778 Solenoid EV7 Electrical Malfunction
P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical
P0763 Shift Solenoid C Electrical
P0768 Shift Solenoid D Electrical
P0773 Shift Solenoid E Electrical

ABS light has come on and gone off for months. I'm thinking there's faults in the ABS control module. Maybe lack of communication between the ABS control module and ECM?

I also called the shop that I had taken it to for the repairs mentioned above and they basically told me that I needed a new tranny and that I could set up an appointment. After reminding them that they had the tranny out of the car less than a month ago and now it's suddenly having issues, they told me that there was no possible way that it what they did could have caused this. My gut feeling tells me that when the tranny was hooked back up, something wasn't done right somewhere. I haven't touched it yet. That's basically why I'm here. With the faults being all electrical and all solenoids - I highly doubt there is any way that they could all go bad in one shot like that. So, my question is where do I start? I'm totally willing to get my hands dirty here because I'm sick and tired of being ripped off by mechanics who see a woman and think I don't know anything. I spent most of my childhood and teen years learning american makes and I haven't done much besides regular maintenance on this being that it's an import.. But you gotta start sometime. Figure I might as well learn now.

If I need to get a vagcom reading on it - where can I do that? Are they expensive or do I have to go to the dealership and bend over? Just curious.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Hi everyone. Pardon my noobness but I'm new-ish to imports. Was a strictly american make kind of gal until I got this VW. Had it 5 years now, never had issues with anything major that I couldn't handle. But now I am stumped.... Here's the history:

Took it to a local shop because of "ticking". They replaced the flex plate between the tranny and drive train, the timing belt, serpentine, etc. Nothing major. But they did have the tranny out of the car.. This was between March 8th and 16th this year. Fast forward to March 28th and it starts having shifting issues. Mainly it started with selector problems, P to R fine, R to D would get stuck in N. Seemed just to be a little glitch. Next thing I know, it goes into limp mode on me last night. Display on the panel is solid black in the background after about 2 minutes of driving, definitely stuck in limp mode/3rd. I don't have access to a vagcom but I did get a generic OBD-II on it and it's coming up:

P1778 Solenoid EV7 Electrical Malfunction
P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical
P0763 Shift Solenoid C Electrical
P0768 Shift Solenoid D Electrical
P0773 Shift Solenoid E Electrical

ABS light has come on and gone off for months. I'm thinking there's faults in the ABS control module. Maybe lack of communication between the ABS control module and ECM?

I also called the shop that I had taken it to for the repairs mentioned above and they basically told me that I needed a new tranny and that I could set up an appointment. After reminding them that they had the tranny out of the car less than a month ago and now it's suddenly having issues, they told me that there was no possible way that it what they did could have caused this. My gut feeling tells me that when the tranny was hooked back up, something wasn't done right somewhere. I haven't touched it yet. That's basically why I'm here. With the faults being all electrical and all solenoids - I highly doubt there is any way that they could all go bad in one shot like that. So, my question is where do I start? I'm totally willing to get my hands dirty here because I'm sick and tired of being ripped off by mechanics who see a woman and think I don't know anything. I spent most of my childhood and teen years learning american makes and I haven't done much besides regular maintenance on this being that it's an import.. But you gotta start sometime. Figure I might as well learn now.

If I need to get a vagcom reading on it - where can I do that? Are they expensive or do I have to go to the dealership and bend over? Just curious.
Wow. You go girl! As with the thread before yours, start with the basics. A bad tranny ground can cause this, especially after some time to work its way loose. A unsecure connection. VCDS can be had on rosstech.com, ebay, or just look on the vortex thread for vagcom owners. You may find one near by your location. Eliminate the basic stuff and then we can determine if it's your actual harness that's bad.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
the former. actually its just the cable and the download from rosstech.com. the ebay cables work fine with the old 409.1 version 3rd party version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ordered the cable

the former. actually its just the cable and the download from rosstech.com. the ebay cables work fine with the old 409.1 version 3rd party version.
i just ordered the vag com cable that came with the downloadable software off of ebay but they said it does'nt include the license, so what can i do about that?:confused: and i ended up taking my beetle (mentioned above in an earlier post) to a guy that repair only volkswagen, (mostly beetles) but he said when clears the codes from my transmission, after a few seconds all seven codes pop right back up. what could be the cause of this? and my throttle body won't accept the tba. i mentioned the cable but i just ordered it right before i came to the thread tonight and my car is still at the shop, so i have'nt had a chance yet to try the cable myself.:banghead:

·
Registered
5 Posts
still nothing

ok, my car has just been sitting at this shop. before i took it i checked all the grounds except the one under the battery tray and by the driver headlight. (probably the culprits since the car had work done to it before i bought it)
the guy at the shop said he reprogrammed the transmission with vcds and it was good for a minute then all the codes reappeared while still hooked up to vag com. he also told me i needed a throttle body because it would not except tba. i bought a tb and still would not adapt. why would'nt a tb adapt? what could be the nature of these two problems? would the harness let the trans be fixed by reprogramming then go right back to all the codes? please answer, i need my car from this place today:confused: after trying to adapt tb he was pressing the accelerator and you could see on the computer screen the percentage i guess of the accelerator being pressed... i dont know.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just replaced the trans ribbion,and cleaned the valvebody and solenoids,no more codes car seemss to shift smooth so far

Sent using pony express

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
has to be perfectly lined up. they are the same size. there might be a fraction of a millimeter of clearance around it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1998 vw jetta

nice ad man,thank you, i am working on 98 vw jetta and according to my launch x431 the firs solenoid is 1-n88 and so on am i right or am i confuse,because your ad said that 1 is n89,let me know if you put the number wrong plz.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If and when you have it scanned again write down the code and the definition.

Hi! I'm very sorry for not posting any developments about this matter that you've all been very kind enough to resolve. I'm been away for about three months and now that i'm back i will have the transmission scanned next week.
To summarize the past developments when i replaced the Sports Mode Switch as Rychas 1 advised my transmission now shifts from third to fourth. However more often it doesn't so everytime i use the car i have to do a reset. There are steps that bjohns86 has advised and i will all look into it. I'll keep you guys posted have a GREAT day. :wave:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there is some great stuff here but cant see my fault so looking for help?

I have a '98 Golf 1.6 Auto that when you select D it will not select any gear and remains in neutral although the engine revs rise to compensate. Absolutely no problems with any of the other gears and if you drive off in 3 and let it go through the gears you can then if you gently move the selector into D actually get 4th till you slow down or stop then it goes back to neutral.
Checked for fault codes and initially got below
Sunday, 05 February 2012, 11:44:21.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1

Control Module Part Number: 01M 927 733 EQ

Component and/or Version: AG4 Getriebe 01M 3960

Software Coding: 00027

Work Shop Code: WSC 00000

VCID: 83798C0F821B

1 Fault Found:

00652 - Gear Monitoring

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Cleared this but still no different. Have taken some scans of the measuring blocks but afraid it means nothing to me. This was done with engine running and selector in D position.

Saturday 14 July 2012 16:36:19
01M 927 733 EQ AG4 Getriebe 01M 3960

Group A: '001 Group B: '001 Group C: '001
Selector Lever Throttle Valve Value of Multi-Function Selector Lever Throttle Valve Value of Multi-Function Selector Lever Throttle Valve Value of Multi-Function
TIME Position Voltage Accelerator Pedal Switch TIME Position Voltage Accelerator Pedal Switch TIME Position Voltage Accelerator Pedal Switch
Marker STAMP V % STAMP V % STAMP V %
1.36 D 0.27 2.7 1010 2.94 D 0.27 2.7 1010 4.54 D 0.27 2.7 1010
1 6.2 D 0.27 2.7 1010 7.93 D 0.27 2.7 1010 9.48 D 0.27 2.7 1010

Saturday 14 July 2012 16:34:23
01M 927 733 EQ AG4 Getriebe 01M 3960

Group A: '007 Group B: '006 Group C: '005
Driving Mode Lock-Up clutch Engine Speed Value of Road Inclination Hill Factor Sport Factor Value of ATF Temperature Multi-Function Gear to be Engine Speed
TIME Slip Slipping Accelerator Pedal TIME (calculated) Accelerator Pedal TIME Switch 2 engaged
Marker STAMP /min /min % STAMP °C % % % STAMP °C /min
0.53 1 + 810 870 2.7 2.69 0 0 2.7 2.7 7.45 97 1000001 1H 870

Would appreciate any pointers.
Many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
2001 Golf 1.8 tdi lockup intermittant

New to forum. My lock up is not working properly. This started when I brought it to transmission shop to replace flywheel ( starter took out flywheel). The flywheel and torque converter all one assembly. So I have a new converter and lock up mechanism. 740 trouble code shows up and lockup disengages. Repaced torque converter with another rebuild. Same problem. Bored out valve body and installed new over sized valve related to lock up. 740 code still appearing. Replaced internal harness. Code still coming in and out. Any ideas what next to try?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi! I'm very sorry for not posting any developments about this matter that you've all been very kind enough to resolve. I'm been away for about three months and now that i'm back i will have the transmission scanned next week.
To summarize the past developments when i replaced the Sports Mode Switch as Rychas 1 advised my transmission now shifts from third to fourth. However more often it doesn't so everytime i use the car i have to do a reset. There are steps that bjohns86 has advised and i will all look into it. I'll keep you guys posted have a GREAT day. :wave:
UPDATE on 60,000 km 096 Transmission on Limp Mode:
It took me a long time to continue working on this problem since it's too technical for a novice like me. In the past months i've just decided to "let the experts do it" but in vain. The dealerships referred me to specialized shops who gave up on the problem for the simple reason that they do not have the technology to work on a 1991 Corrado. Surprisingly, none of the so called experts are even able to make comments like what i read in this forum. In fact, not one can even "scan" the transmission and i can't understand this because in the postings, i noted that the 096 can be scanned. Not wanting to give up on the car (i've spent too much time and effort on it) as "rychas 1, BJohns 86 qnd CoolairVW" suggessted i've checked the Sports Switch and Solenoids resistance but didn't get a negative result. However, there was a post in another thread that "specifically stressed that when there is an electrical issue on a 096, the transmission goes on "limp mode" or only on third gear. So i've bought all the solenoids and wiring harness from Makco and will attempt to replace this. I'm not sure what will happen but i post the result. While i'm in it, can anybody provide specific instructions on how to separate the harness from the solenoid in the valve body and that collar on the top of the transmission? I can just "force separate" it but i can only be sure i have right part from Makco when i install it.
Have a good day! :)

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
I detail your exact questions in the beginning of this thread. Good luck!

301 - 320 of 354 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.