VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
321 - 340 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I detail your exact questions in the beginning of this thread. Good luck!
My apologies, i've gone through many postings that i failed to look at it again. Anyway, i did see it and i've resolved the matter except that the lock on the solenoid cable which specifically cautioned not to lose was lost. I even kept it in a plastic box when i started my work but in the process of installation i managed to lose it. However, i'm very happy to advise you and CoolAirVW, bjohns86 and the others who in one way or another showed concern that this whole problem is resolved. My car is now shifting normally and very efficiently from first to fourth gear.
Your encouragement and concern empowered me to do what the VW dealers could not or refuse to do. I couldn't have done this if it were not for your strong advise that i can do it. By the way, all the solenoids were working but i replaced them anyway because when i was removing the wires one of the connector was broken. Since i bought all the parts from the party you suggessted i decided to just install all of them. I suspect that the wiring harness is the one at fault. It's so nice to see a 62,000 km car that for three years was in limp mode is now working very efficiently.
Thre are two other terminals beside the the Solenoid harness on top of the transmission. One has a Yellow, White and Black wire. The Black wire was cut and i can't find where it is connected too. I took a picture but i don't know how to upload it. Could this Black wire be a Ground wire?
Thank you everybody, this site is "really great!" Not only have i learned a lot, i've done what i would not have done before. :):):):)

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's why we post this information:thumbup:

On top of the transmission are two speed sensors. Posting a picture is as easy as taking it, uploading to photobucket.com, and then copying and pasting the image link into this box. Easy. If it still sounds complicated, I can help. Just identify which sensor (left or right) and the cut wire below, from this link.

http://forums.subdriven.com/showthread.php?4821718-Transmission-sensor-problem-P0722&p=68961615
Thank you and i hope that all your tasks are met with success in return for your very kind concern. From Post no. 7 of the link that you provided, it looks like that connector with the yellow and white wires connected to it. The problem with mine is that there is also a black wire that comes from the harness and it was cut so i don't know where it is connected. Upon close examination, that black wire seems to show evident discoloration like wire that it was burned from heat. Likewise in the no. 07 post by CoolairVw however, my transmission doesn't have the G38 with the Red and Green wire. I'm not sure if my reply could give an accurate picture of what im trying to illustrate, so perchaps i have to learn to figure how this Photobucket works. Anyway, i hope you and the other readers fo this post will have a good day. :):):)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thank you and i hope that all your tasks are met with success in return for your very kind concern. From Post no. 7 of the link that you provided, it looks like that connector with the yellow and white wires connected to it. The problem with mine is that there is also a black wire that comes from the harness and it was cut so i don't know where it is connected. Upon close examination, that black wire seems to show evident discoloration like wire that it was burned from heat. Likewise in the no. 07 post by CoolairVw however, my transmission doesn't have the G38 with the Red and Green wire. I'm not sure if my reply could give an accurate picture of what im trying to illustrate, so perchaps i have to learn to figure how this Photobucket works. Anyway, i hope you and the other readers fo this post will have a good day. :):):)

Hi! Just a quick note to advise that the following link where CoolAirVw replied gave the answer to my query about the Black Wire going to the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Thanks a lot my long time problem has been resolved :):):).
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4662396-096-VSS-Wiring-Question-(-91-Corrado)

·
Registered
31 Posts
ATF leak from solenoid harness connector...

Apparently my cabrio has been losing ATF very slowly over some months (down by 250ml). By the time I discovered it (a couple of ATF spots on the garage floor), the bottom of the engine and gearbox was covered in oily crap. After some cleaning-off much of the crap and using the car as usual, I've eventually determined that the ATF is leaking from the solenoid harness connector.

This very informative thread (thanks rychas1) confirms what I've read elsewhere that I'm very likely to damage the harness if I remove it.

I'm thinking of using a suitable sealant to reseal the connector where it exits the transmission casing with a suitable sealant, that could work?
That's after draining down the ATF (and changing the filter); using brake cleaner (or similar) to get the connector and casing area clean and dry, before applying the sealant.

Do you think that's a practical solution?

Is there a washer between the connector and the casing? (ETKA and ELSA are not clear, and my Golf/Jetta 3 Bentley doesn't cover this harness removal). Could my leak be caused by that washer failing?

Any guidance will be very welcome...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another thing to look at.

Thanks for such great information. It helped a lot.
I found that an animal had chewed the cable going into the transmission. I ended up repairing the cable by soldering a new piece. It worked great. I found the problem because I had just fixed the vacuum lines on my F150 for the same reason.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
After buying my very first Corrado...91 auto...I'm so glad this thread exists...it let's me know that chances are strong that the tranny will one day soon be "normal" again...I'm still working on getting the car running...sat for years and had lacquer where there should have been gas....175k km's and I'm sure to double that myself...I was told by the guy I bought it from that the ribbon harness was done and should have a good idea in a few days...progress to be posted of what I find...and as luck would have it a friend has a snapon scanner w/vagcom...so I really won't have to 2nd guess or poke and prod till I find any issues and resolve them...subscribed as well...makes finding you much easier if needed

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok guys i am chiming in on this thread. I have read it front to back. i bought a 96 cabrio 130k with an 01m transmission. it was in limp mode. the wiring harness is new aftermarket replacement. I ran the vagcom and it showed solenoid 6 bad. sure enough i tested it and it was grounded out. I replaced it with one testing 4.6 ohms and refilled the transmission.

I filled it with 3 qts and lowered the car to level. started it and cycled it through the gears. pulled the plug as the bentley manual says to set the fluid level and about 1/2 qt came out. meaning 2.5 qts left after the filter change and refill. drove the car around the block and it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd but the rest shifts well.

i think i need more fluid but anything about 2.5 qts runs out of the drain plug overflow fill system.

any ideas guys as why it is shifting funny still or if i need more fluid?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just taking a moment to say thanks for all the great info in this killer thread.

I have a 93 golf, 00268 N93 solenoid 6 error, replacing solenoid 6 this week, if I can find an hour or two to get under the car.

Thanks again.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you think this could fix code P2637? I've had problems with this in the past, and it's always reoccurred, and i'm effing sick of it. If this is it. If you can shed any light on it, I'll paypal you a case of beer (or at least the money for one) ;). Thanks!

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 · (Edited)
As stated in the very beginning, this only helps once verified by vcds that a solenoid is bad or temp sensor code from the tcu reappears after clearing and fluid level checks. Please get a vcds code. Generic "P" codes really don't help much. A battery disconnect on both terminals, touching positive and negative for 10 sec will clear all stored codes. If you do both of these methods and your issue returns, you've got bigger issues. My opinion: you've got bigger issues, but it can't hurt to clear codes first. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm getting this code in vagcom

00293 - Multi-function Switch (F125)
25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent

Could this be the harness or the solenoids? Or both? My car will randomly shift down from 4th gear to 3rd, then shoot back up. Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey guys I have a 96 cabrio 01m auto.

I have replaced all solenoids and harness and the car runs and drives fine. the dash indicator is all off and all on and sometimes showing 3 gears selected at a time.

I know it is most likely the multi function switch per my studies but I cannot seem to find the switch for sale besides on ebay as used.

any ideas guys?

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK guys problem...

solenoid valve 6
31-00 open or short to ground

This is the code I am getting...

Problem is the wiring harness (5000 miles roughly) has been replaced as has all of the solenoids (1000 miles roughly)

I pulled the pan tonight and pulled the number 6 valve and replaced it will a tested good used one. When I pulled the one from the car sadly it OHMed correctly also. replaced it anyway with the used tested good one.

Still getting the same code....

no other transmission codes...

anyone have any ideas? Could it be the TCM?

321 - 340 of 354 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.