341 - 354 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
yohan12
I'm getting this code in vagcom

00293 - Multi-function Switch (F125)
25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent

Could this be the harness or the solenoids? Or both? My car will randomly shift down from 4th gear to 3rd, then shoot back up. Any feedback would be appreciated
If anyone is having this problem and is wondering, swapping the solenoids and harness ended up fixing this.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts

Ya, right! I read that article when it came out in Trans digest magazine, several years ago. Lots of good tech info in that article...... EXCEPT... the whole premise is that a low resistance solenoid was placed where a high resistance solenoid goes and that low resistance solenoid allowed too much current (amps) to flow through the computer and burned out the computer. This is impossible. Although the low resistance solenoid looks very similar and would plug in, the low resistance solenoid is larger and will NOT go into the hole where a high resistance solenoid goes. Certainly you could put the high resistance solenoid into the hole where a low resistance solenoid goes but this wouldn't burn out the computer as it would make lower current (amps) to flow through and as everyone knows too much amps through a computer burns it up. Too little current (amps) does nothing but triggers a trouble code.

I tried to contact the author of that article (who've I've known for years) and ask him about this, and he chose to not reply to my emails. I have to assume he had the car come in with a low high resistance solenoid in where a low resistance solenoid goes and the author thought (hypothetically) "What would happen if someone put a low resistance solenoid where a high resistance solenoid goes?" and when he realized it could burn out the computer he decided to write this article. But the author never tried to see if a low resistance solenoid would fit the hole where a high resistance solenoid goes. The company the author works for requires its tech employees to write those articles and there is high pressure and deadlines, so most likely the author was pressure to have an article ready and this "false tech" is what he came up with. If he ever reads this I hope this doesn't ruin our freindship, but I am 100% certain about this. It would take a sledge hammer and some major effort to jam a low resistance solenoid where a high resistance solenoid goes.

Now a high resistance solenoid could fail and for whatever reason draw too much amperage (shorted solenoid making less resistance than it should) and burn out the computer, but that is NOT the premise of the article.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aloha, New to posting, long time reader. But just read page 1-10 and wow great and almost car saving thread that made me register to say this!

Anyway on my own car now (01 Cabrio 01m) since bought the car with ~80k miles everything trans wise was beautiful, till I changed those 4 O-rings on the cooler... seems the guy before me let the top O-ring leak slowly forever and after time flooded the creases on top of the trans. As I took off the hoses, coolent went everywhere and ever since then car went into limp mode. Limped her back home sputting back and w/e into 3erd, rip apart all the harnesses/connections and everything looks fine, until I flipped over the solenoid harness ribbon... there was a hole in it with exposed metal wires sticking out. So what im guessing is that after time of the trans heating and cooling with the suet that laid on it made the hole and when I made the awesome mistake of not pinching off the hoses, coolant got under to the exposed wire and shorted.

New ribbon should be here Friday, and we will see after I do a manual reset, but if from there and no luck, looks like I will have to finally get VAG COM to exactly figure out if my problem is further into the solenoids or just a simple speed sensor! My cruise control has not worked in awhile as well so this should be interesting.

Wish me luck and I will try to keep updated!

UPDATED: She is back!!! turned out to be what I thought it was (shorted solenoid ribbon). I did no have to use vag com though. Just used a generic obd2 reader, and cleared whatever codes it found and she is back shifting better then before!

Goodluck to the rest of u guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post

I'm sure it's been said and I'll read it soon enough but Ty for the info provided in this post. My wife loves her little cabrio or I might have blown it up by now :) lol. The answer I needed was covered in the first couple pages so Ty very much for posting this for those if us who know enough but Not everything

·
Registered
2 Posts
VW and forum noob

Hello. Recently acquired a 98 golf gl auto.. No CEL, limp mode, getting 0753,0758,0763,0768,0773,p1778, 0748,0722, from what i scoured from this thread i am more than likely dealing with harness issues, as i was told "white smoke from drivers side cowl" and had been in limp mode since.. Just looking for any input, as im new to forums and VWs in general, rhanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay so I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8 turbo I've swapped the transmission already and I have one transmission code that just won't go away whenever I start the car it starts off in 3rd gear and won't go past 3rd gear however, it shifts manually through 1st through 3rd gear perfect.
I've also swapped all solenoids in the transmission correctly and brand new braided wire harness.
When i clear the code through VagCom. It shifts into 2nd gear right on time but then quickly switches back to third in limp mode. idk what to do at this point. Thinking about junking this pos. but ive replaced literally every part on the car its practically new again :( Since i live in california i have to pass smog and cant with a damn P0785 Engine code...AND YES i already replaced ALL solenoids AND HARNESS. Someone help please!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Great thread guys, just spent 2+ hours reading all of it :)

Here's my story:

I recently started to have a problem where my OBD2 VR6 Auto did not want to move in reverse, it seemed to engage fine but no bite it just revved.

This problem was worse when the engine was cold and improved a bit when the operating temp was reached.

This started suddenly after a head gasket change at a workshop.

I took it back to complain, they changed the ATF fluid, but the same fault persisted.

I'm not sure if they even checked the codes, somehow I doubt it, either that or they ignored them.

Cut to today (last week now!) and I managed to get the fault codes read and this is interesting:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01M-927-733.lbl
Part No: 01M 927 733 CT
Component: AG4 Getriebe 01M 3363
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 041F9A23DE1BEF123B48FA5-0960

10 Faults Found:
00258 - Solenoid Valve 1 (N88)
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground
00260 - Solenoid Valve 2 (N89)
00262 - Solenoid Valve 3 (N90)
00264 - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
00266 - Solenoid Valve 5 (N92)
00270 - Solenoid Valve 7 (N94)
00268 - Solenoid Valve 6 (N93)
00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00300 - Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor (G93)
34-00 - No Elaboration Available

OK.

Clearly not good! :eek:

After some internet sleuthing I checked the Transmittion Control Module connector (the TCM is under the passenger side rear seat) which was connected but the connector lock was in the open not the locked position...D'oh!

I've no idea which of the recent garages that had been anywhere near my car over the last few years had touched this but yeah, not helpful!

Anyway after a code clear and retest I got rid of:

00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00300 - Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor (G93)
34-00 - No Elaboration Available

Nice!

However I am still left with:

00258 - Solenoid Valve 1 (N88)
00260 - Solenoid Valve 2 (N89)
00262 - Solenoid Valve 3 (N90)
00264 - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
00266 - Solenoid Valve 5 (N92)
00270 - Solenoid Valve 7 (N94)
00268 - Solenoid Valve 6 (N93)

...so not just one solenoid fault but all of them!

So, place your bets, folks... will an animal have chewed through the harness, has some half asleep mechanic not reconnected the solenoid harness plug, has the TCU partially burned out or is the harness borked... hopefully I will find out soon!

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im new here. I'm a guy that won't do the manual swap till this tip tronic is done. Thank you for this detailed write up. I get the p2637 code and it had codes for 2nd and 3rd. My mom let my little brother use car and he ****ed it up. He also ****ed the aux water pump and line running to tranny. Tranny throws code once car is hot so im hoping after aux water pump and hose fix I may be ok but after reading this sounds like its overheated the electronics. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off, thank you for all the information in this DIY.
I'm still trying to confirm that my transmission is an 01m and which code it is to ensure I order the correct harness. I've also seen multiple comments regarding testing the solenoids to confirm they're bad prior to just replacing them. I cannot seem to find information on testing them. My car is throwing a code for the TCC solenoid being open, and when I test the resistance from the TCU harness, it is within spec.
My first thought was, if I can confirm it is an 01m and then get the code and order the correct harness, why wouldn't i just replace all the accessible solenoids while in there. Is that a terrible plan?
This chart did not help me. I have an 04, 2.0 4 speed automatic. Going by this its possible to have 2 different transmissions.

Any tips on confirming the transmission / code and pointing in the right direction on testing the solenoids would be appreciated.
Also the site multiple posts link to for transmission parts , www.makcotransmissionparts.com , appears to have closed up shop.
Any other reliable options for getting parts that someone can recommend?

Thanks again

341 - 354 of 354 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.