VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I rebuilt my tranny at like 99k. I'm at 115K. I put a 3.94 in there and a complete rebuild and a new clutch, lightened flywheel, the works.
15k Later my clutch is boned. The motor is stock save for a chip 'n exhaust.. So I don't think I need a performance clutch. It doesn't help that I run the stickiest street tires I can find and I'm always peeling out, does it?

Is there anything I should cosider other than the stock sachs clutch? What's the deal on the heavy duty pressure plate from Parts4vws? Any different than the stock clutch for the 2L 16v?

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: (WickedMystic)

Quote, originally posted by WickedMystic »
Wouldn't the heavy duty pressure plate make your clutch wear out faster if it's pushing down harder?

Slipping wears a clutch, not pressure.
At 15K miles, I'd suspect something else wrong besides burn outs.
With a new clutch, did you keep an eye on the cable adjustment for these last 15K miles? As the new clutch and parts wear in, it needs re-adjusted.
Broke

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: (Broke)

I just replaced mine today, after 20k. The clutch still had alot of life on it, it was the springs in the clutch that went bye,bye. It dosn't help that i have a solid front motor mount in either.

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Re: (Phily Dubber)

Yes, i would have installed the 8V clutch kit with the 16V pressure plate, which has something like 150 lbs more clamping force that the 8V one....i agree with Broke though, sounds like something else was wrong with either the components or the install, it just should have lasted longer than that, even with the mild abuse you threw at it....

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: The 15K clutch... (GetOuttaMyWay)

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was running the same old self-adjust cable that was in there when I got the car. I thought that thing was boned so I popped in a new manual adjust cable on Saturday. I had to adjust the thing all the way to the max. That's gotta mean that the clutch is worn out right?
For clarification, I just re-read the Parts4vws.com description of the pressure plate pictured above and it sounds like its the stock 2L 16v plate that you can mack into a 8v to get more pressure. So that should be the same plate that comes in the Sachs kit for my motor.

·
Banned
13,663 Posts

i have a sachs in mine along with the self adjusting cable, and my clutch is doing just fine and it's been almost two years since the install (did i mentio i live in the windy road capitol of southern california, and i hit the twisties very hard on a weekly basis) my guess it is your driving habits.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Re: The 15K clutch... (SoCal_GLI)

I do not recommend sachs clutches at all. With 220bhp I burnt mine out in 400 miles odd, the car refused to go over 120mph and wouldn't change into 5th, it sucked big time.
However, I have a helix uprated clutch and it's the nuts, it's the one below the paddle clutch (which is a b1tch to drive in traffic).
I recommend helix clutches, quite a few of the high powered cars are using them now, but they are relatively more expensive than the sachs clutches.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Phily Dubber »
I just replaced mine today, after 20k. The clutch still had alot of life on it, it was the springs in the clutch that went bye,bye. It dosn't help that i have a solid front motor mount in either.

How would a solid front motor mount speed up clutch wear?
- dac

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: The 15K clutch... (david_h)

I put 20k of very aggressive driving in twisties on my car with Kumho 712's after the motor was rebuilt and the flywheel lightened, among other things... took it across the country and back as well. The clutch wasn't replaced when the motor was rebuilt and it's still fine, at 156k now. I put down about 180, so I think it has got to be either your driving or your install.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: The 15K clutch... (Red Raevyn)

do not EVER use sachs pressure plates ever
again. something happend with they're design,
and they're proving to be total garbage. i've replaced
about 5 pressure plates in 3 years (now on a centerforce
for the past year, no problems), my friend (16v also)
went through 3, and someone else i know went through

the problem is that the rivets that hold the straps in
keep breaking if you rev too high (past 7000 rpms) or
give it an accidental mis-shift.
do yourself a favor and get something else. anything else.
techtonics sells a really nice modified stock one. they drill out
the rivets, tripple up the straps and replace the rivets with
nuts and bolts. that seems to hold up...
good luck!

·
Banned
13,663 Posts
Re: The 15K clutch... (laychooba)

Quote, originally posted by laychooba »

the problem is that the rivets that hold the straps in
keep breaking if you rev too high (past 7000 rpms) or
give it an accidental mis-shift.

i hope you have your engine blue printed and balanced, cause if you keep revving past 7K your clutch is gonna be the least of your worries.
ever wonder why the manufacturer set it at 6800?

·
Registered
820 Posts

What's up?? My understanding is that the Sachs 8v and 16v PP's are the same. Thay used to be different but for some unknown reason they debeefed the 16v (single strap only). I had mine go out (and many other people / see tranny forum) and went with the ACT. More money but should save in the long run.
Greg

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: The 15K clutch... (SoCal_GLI)

Quote, originally posted by SoCal_GLI »
i hope you have your engine blue printed and balanced, cause if you keep revving past 7K your clutch is gonna be the least of your worries.
ever wonder why the manufacturer set it at 6800?

My spots start at 6800, but it isn't solid until 7200. I've only gone into the spotted part once but my car has a hell of another powerspot there. Wish I could rev it that high, rowr.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: The 15K clutch... (david_h)

Quote, originally posted by david_h »
the car refused to go over 120mph and wouldn't change into 5th, it sucked big time.

120mph in 4th

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: (Big Dac With Fries)

Quote, originally posted by Big Dac With Fries »

How would a solid front motor mount speed up clutch wear?
- dac
It dosn't, if you read my post i said the clutch still had alot of life on it, it's the clutch springs that i blew. The solid front mount puts alot of load on the tranny/clutch when your power shifting.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Help.
I decided to go with the standard sachs kit. So I pulled my tranny out and my old clutch disk isn't much thinner than my new one. I'm guessing it got oil on it or I just burnt it. But how come I had to adjust my cable all the way out? I haven't put it back together yet, any insights?
Also, I'm thinking I should do the oil seal thingy behind the pressure plate. Is that the same seal that is used on the camshaft, intermediate and main shaft? Cus I have one of those lying around. Do I need to drain my oil before i pop that out?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

redline in fourth for me is 120mph

i bet you got oil on your clutch disc...did you replace the crank seal while you were changing your clutch, might as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts