VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as speculated here in a few posts i thought i would make this to give all the information i could get my hands on!

The 2016 Jetta line-up becomes all turbocharged with the introduction of a new 1.4L TSI engine, replacing the naturally aspirated 2.0L 4-cylinder. The 2016 Jetta S and SE will now be powered solely by the lightweight 1.4L TSI, the same engine used for several years in the Jetta Hybrid, but without the Hybrid's electric motor and battery pack.

Compared to the former 2.0L engine, the EA211 1.4L TSI engine delivers:
•More Horsepower
•More Torque
•Higher Estimated Fuel Economy
•Lower Emissions
•Stronger Acceleration
•Better Throttle Response

The 1.4L TSI engine replaces Volkswagen's 2.0L inline-4-cylinder engine as the powerplant for Jetta S and SE trims. Transmission choices will continue to be a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic®. Here is a comparison of both engines:

2016 EA211 1.4L TSI

2015 2.0L 4-cylinder

Layout
Turbocharged, 16V, DOHC, TSI

Horsepower

Torque (lb.-ft.)

Fuel Economy (city/hwy, est.)
TBD (manual)
28/39 (6-speed auto)
Fuel requirement
Regular unleaded

The MY2016 Jetta 1.4L TSI volume engine is expected to launch third quarter, 2015. Here's the MY2016 Jetta line-up:
•Jetta S – 1.4L TSI (new; replaces 2.0L I-4)
•Jetta SE – 1.4L TSI (new; replaces 1.8L TSI)
•Jetta Sport – 1.8L TSI
•Jetta SEL – 1.8L TSI
•Jetta GLI – 2.0L TSI
•Jetta Hybrid – 1.4L TSI/electric motor

The 1.4L TSI engine is built using EA211 modular gasoline engine matrix (Modularer Ottomotoren Baukasten) or MOB. This modular strategy provides cost efficiencies through standardization, and includes these features:
•Compact, lightweight design
•4 valves per cylinder, dual overhead cams (DOHC)
•Variable valve timing for top performance at all engine speeds
•High-pressure Turbo Straight Injection (TSI) for low emissions and efficient combustion
•Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
•Compact turbocharger designed for fast response, high torque at low engine speeds
•Crankshaft vibration damper for smoother, quieter operation
•Aluminum cylinder head with integrated exhaust manifold
•Belt-driven camshaft with automatic tensioning roller

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Interesting how VWoA is downgrading the engine in the Jette SE.
I noticed that as well, not that I think itll really matter. The 1.8T is not as amazing as some of the hype masters over in the MK6 section want it to be. Ive test driven a 2014 1.8T with the fiance, I could tell the difference from my 2.5, barely.....but she couldn't, she didn't even know it was a different engine until I told her.

·
Registered
22,549 Posts
And how much labor and attention to detail does the replacement of the timing belt require?
Looks like it will be a lot, if it needs attention >150k miles. Probably not designed with easy servicing in mind.

VW said:
In the new generation of engines, Volkswagen was also able to make further significant reductions in internal friction. Take the example of the overhead camshafts (DOHC): the drive here is not by chain, rather by a single-stage, low-friction toothed belt drive with a 20 mm wide belt and load-reducing profiled belt wheels. Thanks to its high-end material specification, this toothed belt’s service life reliably spans the life of the entire vehicle. Actuation of the valve drive via roller cam followers and an anti-friction bearing for the high loads of the first camshaft bearing also lead to reduced friction resistances.

To ensure that the engine takes up as little mounting space as possible, ancillary components such as the water pump, air conditioning compressor and alternator are screwed directly to the engine and the oil sump without additional brackets, and they are driven by a single-track toothed belt with a permanent tension roller.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Interesting i wonder if they will put this in the golf as the base engine too? That would be a sweet combo.
If I remember reading correctly somewhere, vw is moving to all forced induction engines instead of naturally aspirated. So now we've seen the 2.5 and the 2.0 put to rest. I think they're working on a turbo vr6 and then probably something to replace the 4.2 v8 and 5.0 v10 (the 3.0t already pretty much acts like the 4.2 replacement).

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/vw-going-turbo-only-3-4-years/

Edited to add news link I couldn't find before

·
Registered
48,153 Posts
I noticed that as well, not that I think itll really matter. The 1.8T is not as amazing as some of the hype masters over in the MK6 section want it to be. Ive test driven a 2014 1.8T with the fiance, I could tell the difference from my 2.5, barely.....but she couldn't, she didn't even know it was a different engine until I told her.
I love the 2.5 in earlier cars, as it's a torquey and simple bulldog of an engine, but the throttle lag on later cars just kills it for me. The 1.8T has good response and little rev hang compared to a lot of new cars.

Interesting i wonder if they will put this in the golf as the base engine too? That would be a sweet combo.
Considering the Golf hat the 1.8T as the base engine this would be a downgrade. It beats the snot out of the 2.0, though!

To be fair, the 2.0 was fine in the MkIII, but its time has long passed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.