VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1745 Posts

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old Patriots thread has been dormant for a while. Time to create a new one.

The 2014 Patriots have morphed into a dominant team. They're two games into the murder's row meat of their schedule of Denver, @Indy, Detroit, @Green Bay, @San Diego followed by three division games to end the season. I looked at that schedule a month ago and thought that 3-2 would be outstanding. The next two games will show whether they're the Super Bowl favorite or merely a very well coached team that was able to take advantage of mismatches.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Other than the idiotic INT Brady tossed before the half that lead to a TD, I loved how they played yesterday. When Gronk is healthy he is a complete monster.

Oh and his own rendition of the scene in The Blindside

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
The old Patriots thread has been dormant for a while. Time to create a new one.

The 2014 Patriots have morphed into a dominant team. They're two games into the murder's row meat of their schedule of Denver, @Indy, Detroit, @Green Bay, @San Diego followed by three division games to end the season. I looked at that schedule a month ago and thought that 3-2 would be outstanding. The next two games will show whether they're the Super Bowl favorite or merely a very well coached team that was able to take advantage of mismatches.
Think we are becoming complacent? I was ready to retire Brady after the KC debacle, and I was pretty pissed at him for audible-ing out of running plays and throwing picks that should never have been thrown. He just can't let anyone else get the glory. The team has come together and is playing very good football. I noticed after half-time there was no more of that audible follishness and they let Gray run the damn ball!

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think we are becoming complacent? I was ready to retire Brady after the KC debacle, and I was pretty pissed at him for audible-ing out of running plays and throwing picks that should never have been thrown. He just can't let anyone else get the glory. The team has come together and is playing very good football. I noticed after half-time there was no more of that audible follishness and they let Gray run the damn ball!
The drive to start the 2nd half featured a big gainer pass to Vereen, a nice gain to LaFell, and a corner end zone fade to Wright. Their 2nd drive also had a good run/pass mix as did their 3rd scoring drive of the 2nd half. You can't just run the ball or they'll load up with 8 in the box.

The pick in the last two minutes of the first half on 3rd and 1 was a great call. The Colts were stacked up 8 in the box. Gronk wasn't checked at the line, was wide open on a fly pattern, and had gotten behind the safety who was rolling over. Stark let a monster lineman get to Brady up the middle unblocked and Brady threw a dying quail as he was being hit. That play is about 1 minute into this highlight clip.

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watched the Chiefs @ Raiders last night. Thank you Oakland Raiders. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I watched the Chiefs @ Raiders last night. Thank you Oakland Raiders. :thumbup:
Buffalo, Miami and the AFC North all thank the Raiders, too :laugh:

Now if only Denver would lose again

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buffalo, Miami and the AFC North all thank the Raiders, too :laugh:

Now if only Denver would lose again
I have mixed feelings about Sunday's Miami @ Denver game. Winning the division is more important than a bye and home field advantage. I'd hate for Miami to show up in New England in December where an upset win would hand Miami the division. I'd much rather have the three AFC-East teams completely out of the race by then.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I have mixed feelings about Sunday's Miami @ Denver game. Winning the division is more important than a bye and home field advantage. I'd hate for Miami to show up in New England in December where an upset win would hand Miami the division. I'd much rather have the three AFC-East teams completely out of the race by then.
And Miami choked away a nice fourth quarter lead to lose the game. Figures. New England looks almost unstoppable. Thank God Detroit receivers kept missing catches in the End zone.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Again giving up the big play at the end of the half. Other than that the D kept them in the game. The offence seemed flat most of the game.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
That was such a good game last night. Rogers was on fire. Well played game. If only Gronk could have held on to the ball in the endzone and it would have been NE 27, Packers 26.

·
Registered
9,777 Posts
I'll be at the SNF v. Chargers. Gonna be a good game (hopefully) and need tix prices to go down. Went down and now jumped up $299. :eek:

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be at the SNF v. Chargers. Gonna be a good game (hopefully) and need tix prices to go down. Went down and now jumped up $299. :eek:
Listening to the crowd during the game, there were a crap-load of Patriots fans at the game. It was a nail-biter until late in the 4th quarter. 10-3. Miami, @Jets, Buffalo left.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Listening to the crowd during the game, there were a crap-load of Patriots fans at the game. It was a nail-biter until late in the 4th quarter. 10-3. Miami, @Jets, Buffalo left.
It must have been demoralizing for the Chargers hearing your home stadium chanting the opposing QB's name.

Apparently any hard hit on a receiver is going to draw a flag now, shoulder to shoulder and taking away a pick six.

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently any hard hit on a receiver is going to draw a flag now, shoulder to shoulder and taking away a pick six.
That call sucked. A few plays later, the Pats got a gift offensive pass interference call as their make-up call but it's turned into no contact flag football. Fortunately, they don't tend to call those as much in the playoffs. ...or at least Brandon Browner didn't get flagged last year in the Seahawks playoff run.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I wish this team could play a full four quarters against division opponents, that drive at the end of the half looked a lot like what Brady &co. would usually do to other teams.

After the half they looked great, AFC east again and two more wins if they want home field for the playoffs. Buffalo's defense looked great against Rodgers and the Jets always seem to play us tougher than anyone else. Should be a interesting end of the season.

·
Registered
16,325 Posts
anyone manage to snag an AFC East champ shirt?

I got the email and figured I would wait until Monday morning. when I checked before bed, they were all sold out.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
This week's matchup against the Jets should be fun to watch. It could either be a trap game and the Jets win, or one final embarrassing debacle for Ryan, at home. I can easily see it happening.

1 - 20 of 1745 Posts