VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

281 - 300 of 5654 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Respectfully...

What is your point?
I know these are fast. I know they broke the Spa record but only after a few tweaks. If an F1 car did the same modifications they wouldn't be even close to each other.
So to me, and it's just my opinion, F1 is still the pinnacle of motorsport including the technology involved.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
What is your point?
I know these are fast. I know they broke the Spa record but only after a few tweaks. If an F1 car did the same modifications they wouldn't be even close to each other.
So to me, and it's just my opinion, F1 is still the pinnacle of motorsport including the technology involved.

P1 Hybrids were the pinnacle of tech, still more than a current F1 car.

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
2 Stroke Or Just Smoke

I saw this the other day, talk of use a two stroke engine in Formula 1. It reminded of the wold two strokesin motorcycle racing. As Pat Symonds says, the sound would be weed eater awesome :laugh:

Helmut Marko seems to be on board:

"Dr Helmut Marko is not writing off the chances that Formula 1 will be powered by two-stroke engines from 2025.

So Pat Symonds, an experienced engineer who is now Liberty Media’s F1 technical boss, told a Motorsport Industry Association conference that the future could be two-stroke.

He said those engines would be “much more efficient”, produce a “great sound from the exhaust, and a lot of the problems with the old two strokes are just not relevant anymore”.

I certainly think the internal combustion engine has a future that’s longer than a lot of politicians realise because politicians are hanging everything on electric vehicles,” he said.

But it seems that Symonds’ vision has caught Formula 1 as a whole by surprise.

At the moment it sounds like a carnival speech,” said Red Bull’s plain-talking Dr Helmut Marko, when asked about Symonds’ comments.

But I will seriously ask my engineers about it,” he told Auto Bild.

“We should know how much horsepower you can get out of them, how efficient are they really, and can they really work with alternative fuels,” he added.

https://grandpx.news/marko-surprised-by-f1-two-stroke-engine-idea/

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,249 Posts
"Dr Helmut Marko is not writing off the chances that Formula 1 will be powered by two-stroke engines from 2025.
Great Austrians think alike. See also KTM's current offerings.

·
Premium Member
12,574 Posts
Sorry if we go to 2 stroke engines I'm done.

The old 500cc (prior to being renamed to MotoGP) were terrifying and insanely fast and powerful, and sounded great at high revs. So who knows. I wouldn't make any assumptions. However, I'm curious how they would produce a two-stroke that's got less unwanted emissions than the current 4 stroke engines.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Aero etc involved?
I m talking about the whole package that makes the difference.

F1 may be the pinnacle of Motorsport, but I think Woodski is on to something. I think there is more trickle down tech from endurance type racing to real world automobiles.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,249 Posts
Yea in a motorcycle, where they belong. Not in the worlds pinnacle racing series.
I say bring on every and all power-plant. Rotary, electric, gasoline, diesel, hybrid, hydrogen. Make engineering great again.

·
Registered
830 Posts
F1 may be the pinnacle of Motorsport, but I think Woodski is on to something. I think there is more trickle down tech from endurance type racing to real world automobiles.
That may be the case but road relevance isn't tge point. Although I think all of those endurance supercars are just almost an F1 car under a coat of road relevance.
As for the 2 spoke engines, maybe Ferrari would be happy justifying all that smoke from their exhaust in 2018!
Would be interesting, but as mentioned before, sound would be great on high rpm. Same applies for the current V6T, but thwy still run low. And as long as efficiency is involved, everybody wants lower revs.

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
Ha!

Sorry if we go to 2 stroke engines I'm done.

I get this. I feel the same about Formula E, not thanks for me!

IMO they're trying to keep a combustion engine in the car and a high revving two stroke on alternative fuels would satisfy the enviro concerns and give us sound. But I don't see how Mercedes and Ferrari use that to promote their road cars though. It's an interesting idea that could just be a smoke screen (ha!) while they continue on with what they have.

I remember reading about Freddi Spencer, Eddie Lawson and Wayne Rainey in Moto GP and just loving their bikes. Those pipes! They sounded like a pack of very angry hornets coming for your "A" :laugh:

Formula 1 could make it look and sound sexy. I just don't see the production tie in. I guess they only vaguely can now with their use of hybrids.

Sweet Two Stroke

281 - 300 of 5654 Posts