VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 5654 Posts

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Mercedes Advantage

They seem comically large to me, but I will probably get used to them. Curious how the larger wheel impacts the aero. Seems like the wheel makes up a really big portion of the frontal cross section.
I remembered from last year that Mercedes was thought to have an aero advantage due to their wheel design, among other things, and Ferrari questioned the design and even tried to copy it. To resolve this the new rules will have a freeze on wheel design. Article and pics below are from last year. It was a nice looking wheel IMO!:

Under what was then Article 3.15 of the Formula 1 Technical Regulations, teams were told that "any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance" must be "rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car" and must remain "immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car."
The rotation of the air in the hub was deemed to have been energising the air flow, so was ruled to be illegal.

Mercedes rear wheels
Amid the focus from Ferrari about how its main rival has been able to make such big gains with its car since the Belgian Grand Prix, there has been a great deal of interest on the new wheel hubs and rims that have helped Mercedes better manage tyre temperatures.
At Spa Francorchamps, new wheel rims were fitted to the car with extra ridges aimed to helping cool the rear tyres.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-wheel-ferrari-probe-fia/3196635/

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Those almost look like they belong on a 1990s civic with a fart can :laugh:
For me, it was the contrast of the "bright" gold color with the black tire. Like you said, that made it look like a cheaply Pep-Boys tuned import from the 90s. The 18 inch black wheels look loads better due to the lack of that color contrast. It is intersting how things catch your attention like that.

·
Registered
2006 LS430, 2012 GX460, 2005 ES330, 2018 Explorer PI
2,573 Posts
https://www.planetf1.com/news/teams-vote-unanimously-to-keep-2019-tyres/

All 10 Formula 1 teams have voted in favour of keeping the 2019 tyre compounds in place for the 2020 season, the FIA has confirmed.

The 2020 prototype tyres introduced by Pirelli did not receive an awful lot of love from the drivers who tested the new rubber out in the second half of the season and finally at the two-day tyre test in Abu Dhabi following the conclusion of the 2019 season.

Following a vote on Monday, the 2019 tyres are staying put for next season.

‘After having tested and analysed new specification tyres for 2020, a vote for the specification of the tyres for the 2020 Season was carried out according to Article 12.6.1 of the technical regulations,’ the FIA said in a press release.

‘The vote resulted in a unanimous decision to keep the 2019 specification tyres for the 2020 season by the Formula 1 teams.

‘The FIA would like to thank both Pirelli and all the teams for their work and collaboration to improve the tyres for the 2020 season and beyond.

‘In any case, the lessons leant will be invaluable for the further improvement of the tyres in the future.’

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
People Make A Difference

I really hope that Haas has figured out their tire issue then, because I don't think they can afford another season like 2019 again.
#peoplematter, last season Haas either over performed or the teams around them just struggled more. It looks like the latter.

Haas struggled with their car as Ferrari did early on and Steiner never got in top of it. By reports from the team their operating window was too narrow. 2020 is only going to get tougher, I hope Hass survives.

·
Registered
2006 LS430, 2012 GX460, 2005 ES330, 2018 Explorer PI
2,573 Posts
2020 is only going to get tougher, I hope Hass survives.
Haas or Alfa... if a manufacture or someone else wanted to enter the sport, buying out either of these teams would probably be the easiest and quickest way. Especially if Haas has another lousy season in 2020. It's hard to get excited for them, other than the Rich Energy drama. Two lackluster drivers certainly don't help combined with 9 DNFs for the season (2019) and a best finish of 6th place (Magnussen in Australia). I think we were all dumb-founded when they retained Grosjean for another season...

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
True

Haas or Alfa... if a manufacture or someone else wanted to enter the sport, buying out either of these teams would probably be the easiest and quickest way. Especially if Haas has another lousy season in 2020. It's hard to get excited for them, other than the Rich Energy drama. Two lackluster drivers certainly don't help combined with 9 DNFs for the season (2019) and a best finish of 6th place (Magnussen in Australia). I think we were all dumb-founded when they retained Grosjean for another season...
For me it was the Gene Haas/US team being in F1, lived that angle to their story and they did better than expected last year. Even Renault was giving them snit because they were doing better.

Then 2019 happened and it all went sideways. I too was shocked they kept both drivers, but I guess they were so far off in the weeds with the car they figured new drivers would only add to the confusion.

But I would have given other drivers a shot. Gross Jean's and Mag wreck as often in practice as they do in a race, neither should be in F1.

I wonder if you're right, at the end of 2020, if team Haas finishes at the bottom they may not get another sponsor, Gene would have to cut bait at some point I would imagine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Both Haas and Alfa are b-teams just like Toro Rosso (aka the new Alfa).
Especially Haas get more standard parts designed for Ferrari than Alfa (see front wing differences at the start of the season) or Alfa is more like a test bed for Ferrari.
Haas has made their choice since joining F1 that they first need to establish themselves as a midfield team with the help of Ferrari, and then move forward.
I hope they both stay strong and avoid becoming a new Williams

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,247 Posts
Gene Haas doesn't like spending lots of money to finish mid-field. I give them one more year of being a B-team before he either pulls the plug or finds a buyer in Penske.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Roger That

Gene Haas doesn't like spending lots of money to finish mid-field. I give them one more year of being a B-team before he either pulls the plug or finds a buyer in Penske.
Holy fek, Penske. I guess you can't take it with you and at 82 years old and worth better than a billion and a half, Roger is swinging for the fences.

Roger squashed rumors he was buying Mercedes AMG PETRONAS, but I expect he would take no less if getting in the world's traveling circus.

But as he says, his hands will be full working IndyCar.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,247 Posts
I guess you can't take it with you and at 82 years old and worth better than a billion and a half, Roger is swinging for the fences.
This sums it up. He's trying to solidify his name in any and everything he's ever loved before he passes on.

·
Premium Member
12,574 Posts
Yup, and hence my concern for them. I don't know how effective the cost cap is going to be in a few years once it settled in beyond the first year, but if teams like Haas come into the sport without a chance of scoring a podium, let alone winning a race, I don't see others with deep pockets and the ability to form a real team ever wanting to step foot into F1.

TLDR: F1 needs to have Haas succeed for its longevity beyond the manufacturers' era.

·
Registered
830 Posts
F1 needs to have Haas succeed for its longevity beyond the manufacturers' era.
Agreed.
But Haas needs to change its status from b team in order to win. You can only expect a random podium place when there is a chaotic race (see Gasly) but if you cant to really be up there you need to do work.
That is develop your own car rather than get standard parts that others have developped for you.
Oh, and get a proper driver line up

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Down The Wrong Path

If you think about it, Haas was just like Ferrari but without the speed. They went in the wrong direction with the aero of the car like Ferrari did, except Haas never recovered. It was so bad that at the end if the season, Steiner said that they should have listened to their drivers more, the two guys we all think they should dump. It also kinda brings home my point about people, as in Ferrari's case, even with resources, if you get it wrong you pay dearly:

Magnussen
Even in Bahrain in qualifying, we qualified… I can’t remember, sixth of something, up there. Then in the race it just completely fell apart.

“So from there on it was a little bit of panic in the team.

“We couldn’t really focus on… kind of find the real root of the problem. We were looking a lot at tyres and blaming the problem on tyres issues whereas in fact it was a little more simple.

We just had aero issues, unstable aero and the whole platform just not being strong enough and consistent, stable enough."

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/5186...-panicked-after-poor-start-to-the-season.html

·
Premium Member
42,872 Posts
You guys really think these B teams ever stand a chance if they're using an A teams engine? I feel like if Haas all of sudden pulled something amazing next year, Ferrari would just delay upgrades for them ? Mercedes and Renault too. I can only see B teams that use Honda engines having a chance since there's no Honda racing team.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
You May Be Right

You guys really think these B teams ever stand a chance if they're using an A teams engine? I feel like if Haas all of sudden pulled something amazing next year, Ferrari would just delay upgrades for them ? Mercedes and Renault too. I can only see B teams that use Honda engines having a chance since there's no Honda racing team.
I dunno, Renault has a pretty good history of rival teams doing better with their engines than the "works" Renault team :laugh:

As a "get your feet wet" start up team, Haas has sweet deal with Ferrari support because it's more than just engines.

Red Bull has some very talented people, to pull off that Honda switch and achieve as much as they did was no small feat. I just don't think the Haas team is that deep, in fact they lost an engineer at season's end.

If Haas can't get better talent on the R&D side I don't see the team's fate changing. And like others, I wonder how long Haas can hang in there, it takes a long time to assemble and keep the right group of people. Without some success to draw sponsors, Haas will run out of time and money.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
If you think about it, Haas was just like Ferrari but without the speed. They went in the wrong direction with the aero of the car like Ferrari did, except Haas never recovered. It was so bad that at the end if the season, Steiner said that they should have listened to their drivers more, the two guys we all think they should dump. It also kinda brings home my point about people, as in Ferrari's case, even with resources, if you get it wrong you pay dearly
Since mid-season I've begun to wonder if Steiner is the right guy for the job there.....

41 - 60 of 5654 Posts