VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

61 - 80 of 5654 Posts

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
34,247 Posts
Since mid-season I've begun to wonder if Steiner is the right guy for the job there.....
He's good at what he does (his carbon/racing-tech company), but you might be correct in this sentiment.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
If Haas can't get better talent on the R&D side I don't see the team's fate changing. And like others, I wonder how long Haas can hang in there, it takes a long time to assemble and keep the right group of people. Without some success to draw sponsors, Haas will run out of time and money.
Yeah, and the whole Rich Energy debacle indicated they must be very hard up for sponsors.

·
Registered
38,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Vietnam circuit got an extra corner (below) while we were sleeping.

*shrugs shoulders* Not like I was in love with the original design. I hate seeing hairpins before the main straight though, so I suppose it's.... better?

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Oh No Alonso

It seems almost a given that Verstappen will leave Red Bull after 2020. Ferrari could tank again next year but I don't know it that would be enough for him to stay at RB. He will be sought after, for sure.

Verstappen had better take notes though, being disruptive and burning bridges (Max, why piss off Ferrari?) doesn't pay off long term.

As Alonso continues to look for a way back, his history stands in his way:

There have been rumors that Liberty Media looked into the possibility of Fernando Alonso joining Red Bull Racing for the 2020 season.

We immediately said we have no need for Alonso,” Marko told Auto Bild. “It won’t work because our engine partner Honda won’t have it either. The name Alonso makes the hair on their necks bristle.”

We have to give Max a car in 2020 with which he can become world champion. Otherwise, he will be gone,” said the Austrian. “Right now things are really going on behind the scenes. It will be decisive weeks.”

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/5192...e-makes-the-hair-on-their-necks-bristle-.html

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
It seems almost a given that Verstappen will leave Red Bull after 2020. Ferrari could tank again next year but I don't know it that would be enough for him to stay at RB. He will be sought after, for sure.

Verstappen had better take notes though, being disruptive and burning bridges (Max, why piss off Ferrari?) doesn't pay off long term.

As Alonso continues to look for a way back, his history stands in his way:

There have been rumors that Liberty Media looked into the possibility of Fernando Alonso joining Red Bull Racing for the 2020 season.

We immediately said we have no need for Alonso,” Marko told Auto Bild. “It won’t work because our engine partner Honda won’t have it either. The name Alonso makes the hair on their necks bristle.”

We have to give Max a car in 2020 with which he can become world champion. Otherwise, he will be gone,” said the Austrian. “Right now things are really going on behind the scenes. It will be decisive weeks.”

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/5192...e-makes-the-hair-on-their-necks-bristle-.html
Hmm.. but where does he go? If he wants to be competitive, it has to be either Merc or Ferrari. I don't see Ferrari wanting him- they already have a young upstart type and it seems like a LEC/Max team would be rife with conflict (even worse than now). Which basically means Merc replacing Bottas with him. Possible, but he seems more of a hothead than Merc would want under Hamilton. Decent chance that Hamilton will be going for a record 8th championship that year and adding Max to the mix might create a lot of unnecessary drama.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Spit Balling

Hmm.. but where does he go? If he wants to be competitive, it has to be either Merc or Ferrari. I don't see Ferrari wanting him- they already have a young upstart type and it seems like a LEC/Max team would be rife with conflict (even worse than now). Which basically means Merc replacing Bottas with him. Possible, but he seems more of a hothead than Merc would want under Hamilton. Decent chance that Hamilton will be going for a record 8th championship that year and adding Max to the mix might create a lot of unnecessary drama.
My guess is Verstappen will go to Mercedes. There's been some talk of Toto and Jos Verstappen's relationship being very good and Toto publicly is very high on Max.

True that Verstappen would disruptive but Mercedes at some point has to look past Hamilton.

But who knows? There's so many rumors now it's hard to say, a lot can happen in a year.

I like making crazy amazeball guesses like Toto and Hamilton going to Ferrari with Leclerc, Vettel to Red Bull with Hulkenberg, Verstappen with Bottas at Mercedes. Never happen but it's fun to juggle them around and imagine outcomes.

·
Registered
18,456 Posts
Max to Ferrari and Vettel back to RBR

**** I wish Alonso could come back, but he really did burn the bridge with Honda with his time at McLaren
Honda did deserve harsh criticism, though. Their power unit was junk.

·
Premium Member
12,574 Posts
Max to Ferrari and Vettel back to RBR

**** I wish Alonso could come back, but he really did burn the bridge with Honda with his time at McLaren
While the Japanese seem have a longer memory than most, without Verstappen RBR has no real chance of winning anything. So if he leaves, and Alonso is available, I think they make amends and he can be back in F1 with Honda.

I think taking Vettel at RBR, if Verstappen leaves, is a big gamble. He's shown that under the right circumstances, he's still lightning fast. But at anything less, he's really struggling. If anything, Verstappen has shown to be more Alonso like, which he himself proclaimed he was a few years back, to where he's able to drag the car into contention even when it's far off from the top car in the field.

·
Premium Member
42,872 Posts
While the Japanese seem have a longer memory than most, without Verstappen RBR has no real chance of winning anything. So if he leaves, and Alonso is available, I think they make amends and he can be back in F1 with Honda.

I think taking Vettel at RBR, if Verstappen leaves, is a big gamble. He's shown that under the right circumstances, he's still lightning fast. But at anything less, he's really struggling. If anything, Verstappen has shown to be more Alonso like, which he himself proclaimed he was a few years back, to where he's able to drag the car into contention even when it's far off from the top car in the field.
It also hinges on how well Albon does and if Max leaves, could he become a #1 driver there and they promote another rookie

·
Premium Member
12,574 Posts
It also hinges on how well Albon does and if Max leaves, could he become a #1 driver there and they promote another rookie
Need to also consider the experience to develop a car. I'm not sure how good he'd be at that. Also, guys like Vettel and Max have set high expectations, where they were extremely fast right out of the gate as rookies. Albon is very good, no doubt, but is he of the same caliber as Max? We'll see soon enough in 2020, but what we do know is if you plug a guy like Alonso in, you're getting the maximum out of the car on raceday.

Alonso would be wise to make amends with Honda, assuming Honda will accept it, especially as he chases an Indy 500 win.

·
Registered
2006 LS430, 2012 GX460, 2005 ES330, 2018 Explorer PI
2,573 Posts
I never liked Alonso and don't see why there is always a push to get him back in the sport. He did 17 years in the sport, let's just be done with him. Plenty of young talent out there that deserves a shot rather than someone who at 38, probably won't be as competitive. Remember, he hasn't been on the podium since Hungary in 2014.

Let's break Russell from his contract at Williams and get him into a RBR car. Shoot, even Norris could do great things at RBR... the charm and charisma both of these rookies have is intoxicating.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I beloeve Hamilton will want to end his carrer in Ferrari trying to get them on top again.
That means Vettel will either retire or go back to Red Bull for a last year.
I dont think Alonso is really an option as Honda might well be on the right track but is still not at Mercedes level. So Alonso will not be happy once again.
Verstappen is really fast, maybe the fastest right now, but cracks when his teammate performs better than him. He was trying so hard to beat Ricciardo in qualifying that crashed most of the times. On the other hand, he performs better with weaker teammates, so Ferrari will not be an option if Leclerc stays there. So I m guessing he will drive for Mercedes.
The thing is that the only man who can take full advantage of the new 2021 aero regulations is in Red Bull. So in my opinion, that's the team to get championships then.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J710F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Alonso Not So

Horner and Marko don't want Alonso either. Remember last year when Alonso started an argument with both of those men about being called to race for Red Bull? Alonso is a bomb, no way he goes to Red Bull, Honda nor the team want him. Too toxic.

Vettel says he isn't done and will look beyond 2021 but Ferrari is probably done with him. Vettel going home to Red Bull would make Marko (who brags that Vettel stays in touch with the team) and Horner happy. In the right environment and being number 1 Vettel would perform better. The pressure of the red car was too much.

Vettel could mentor Albon and I agree with the earlier assessment. Albon is good but nothing like Vettel, Hamilton or even Leclerc and Verstappen, he doesn't have their outright speed or thier race pace early in his career like they did. Albon is a longer term project that may or may not pan out.

61 - 80 of 5654 Posts