VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1922 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
If anyone wants a cheap new 2020 this dealer is asking $44k.

submitted an offer, thanks for the link (y)

·
Registered
14,914 Posts
The Supra is amazing and all, especially in Yellow but anyone else rather spend $56k on a GTR instead? Yea I know $56k would be something 11 years old and used, but somehow it's more attractive. More power, awd, more space, and still bad ass. Or is it just me?

New vs 11 years of abuse? Really?

Reactions: Jimmy Russells

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,618 Posts
New vs 11 years of abuse? Really?
Is this your old car? How do you know it was abused? How do you define abuse in a car designed and engineered for high performance driving? Have you driven the GTR? Although I'm not sure I'd opt for a GTR, I would rather buy the best used manual transmission Porsche sports car I could get for the price of a 6cyl Supra. And frankly, I'd opt for a used GTR before I went with a Supra. Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way. So when the question is asked about why the Supra hasn't sold in large numbers, among the valid reasons is that for the same money, some people would rather buy a used performance car. FWIW, this is also how I feel about the C8.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Is this your old car? How do you know it was abused? How do you define abuse in a car designed and engineered for high performance driving? Have you driven the GTR? Although I'm not sure I'd opt for a GTR, I would rather buy the best used manual transmission Porsche sports car I could get for the price of a 6cyl Supra. And frankly, I'd opt for a used GTR before I went with a Supra. Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way. So when the question is asked about why the Supra hasn't sold in large numbers, among the valid reasons is that for the same money, some people would rather buy a used performance car. FWIW, this is also how I feel about the C8.
Used couple year old Porsche, sure. 11y/o GTR? Ehhhh...

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,618 Posts
Used couple year old Porsche, sure. 11y/o GTR? Ehhhh...
I don't have that hang-up with age, particularly if you're buying the car as a second or third car. I can understand someone wanting to buy new if they were planning on using it for 5+ years as a daily driver. Though my limited understanding is that the GTR is a pretty stout car, so you could likely buy a lower mileage, good condition 11 yo GTR, drive it daily for a few years, and have a good ownership experience. Once you start modding the hell out of it, things may change, but then again, it becomes less likely the car is your daily the deeper down you go into the mod hole.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Sales numbers just came in.

U.S. Supra Sales

December - 704

2020 total - 5,887

Grand total - 8,771

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Sales numbers just came in.

actually doesn't look that bad

Reactions: vb22

·
Goes in two directions
3,612 Posts
It's just you. $56K buys a lot of '20 Supra and plenty of extra toys to at least scare a decade old GTR.

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Cammisa has a new video out on the 2021.

Reactions: vb22

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pretty sad if the Z4 is barely outselling the ancient 370.
I keep seeing this on places like Reddit so let me explain this to you.

The Z4 and Supra are built Magna Steyr - also BMW likely has very low margins on each Z4 sold. Since March of 2020 BMW has pretty much halted/slowed down the production for the Z4 and allowed the Supra to pump up their volume nonstop during this period. How do I know this? I tried to order a Z4 M40i since August of last year and NO dealer in California had allocations for 6 months. California, the state that doesn't rain, cannot get allocations from any dealership (I contacted every single one in SoCal) and they all said that likely won't have allocations until summer of 21. Go to Cars.com now and search nationwide... its been at 0 and the incoming stock are customer cars from last years allocation just arriving and have already been sold.

The reason why Supra sold more than the Z4 is not price or badge related, its entirely BMW refusing to manufacture it. Same thing as trying to order an M8 COUPE last year, impossible.

1881 - 1900 of 1922 Posts