VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1922 Posts

·
Registered
46,459 Posts
I keep seeing this on places like Reddit so let me explain this to you.

The Z4 and Supra are built Magna Steyr - also BMW likely has very low margins on each Z4 sold. Since March of 2020 BMW has pretty much halted/slowed down the production for the Z4 and allowed the Supra to pump up their volume nonstop during this period. How do I know this? I tried to order a Z4 M40i since August of last year and NO dealer in California had allocations for 6 months. California, the state that doesn't rain, cannot get allocations from any dealership (I contacted every single one in SoCal) and they all said that likely won't have allocations until summer of 21. Go to Cars.com now and search nationwide... its been at 0 and the incoming stock are customer cars from last years allocation just arriving and have already been sold.

The reason why Supra sold more than the Z4 is not price or badge related, its entirely BMW refusing to manufacture it. Same thing as trying to order an M8 COUPE last year, impossible.
I looked up the number of available new Z4s on cars.com a couple of weeks ago and saw the same thing. There are literally only 14 listed nationwide on cars.com right now. There are over 1000 Supras listed on cars.com right now. Hard to sell in large numbers when supply is virtually zero.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,455 Posts
^ I suspect this happens often, strategically, to eliminate low-margin vehicles for boardroom/shareholder appeasement.

if things don’t get built, they don’t get sold, and it’s easier to kill them off and blame the car buyers who never knocked down dealers’* doors with cash in hand

*dealers who had to turn them down bc they had 0 allocations in the first place

·
Registered
46,459 Posts
BMW might have learned their lesson from the old Z4 back in the mid 2000s. I recall when I bought my Z4M coupe there was $7500 in BMW trunk money and another $7500 in dealer discount. Maybe they reduced supply because they thought the pandemic would significantly reduce demand for cars of this type.

·
Registered
741 Posts
^ I suspect this happens often, as a boardroom/shareholder appeasement strategy to eliminate low-margin vehicles. if things don’t get built, they don’t get sold, and it’s easier to kill them off and blame the car buyers who never came to the dealer* with cash in hand

*who never got allocations anyway
BMW might have learned their lesson from the old Z4 back in the mid 2000s. I recall when I bought my Z4M coupe there was $7500 in BMW trunk money and another $7500 in dealer discount. Maybe they reduced supply because they thought the pandemic would significantly reduce demand for cars of this type.
Likely BMW learned from their 2019 debacle of the M8 release. They manufactured too much so they threw more than 10% in trunk money on top of dealer discounts. Thus the cancellation of the M8 Coupe then leading to the Z4 being whittled away from production. BMW will halt production in 2023 for the Z4, and also likely the M8.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
To be fair, was anyone asking for a $160k grand tourer from BMW? I never liked the new 8 series silhouette. Sadly I see it has been scaled down 7/8ths into the 4 series.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Also, this thread inspired me to both research the B58 tuning potential (which I already had an inkling of thanks to my familiarity with N55 tuning... hint: the B58 has a vast amount of power headroom, even with a stock engine)... and then ultimately to go sit in a Supra. Local-ish dealer has 4 in stock, 1 2.0 and 3 3.0 Premiums.

I quite liked the interior. The seats, with the ‘squeeze you lovingly’ adjustable side bolsters were a treat. Honestly, though hearing a BMW door chime was off-putting, having iDrive as the UI is an asset in my opinion... the current iteration is very logical and pleasant to use.

Gauge cluster was cool, steering wheel had a weird plastic on the lower spoke where you would otherwise expect to see straight through to the pedals. The hatch access and trunk was large enough with the parcel shelf removed, but the speaker grilles were cheesy (too ‘SiCk SyStEm BrO’ for me). Big negative for me was what felt like limited visibility... gun-slit style windows & windscreen... plus the overwhelmingly black interior. Borderline claustrophobia-inducing, but I am used to sitting rather upright in a sedan with a sunroof. Still... why can’t they offer a white/grey seat leather option, with some interior brightwork (even though the carbon fiber on the center console is authentic and looks cool, I’d prefer something less drab).

Under the hood, I couldn’t ascertain where the oil filter is bc of the engine cladding, but if it’s anything like other BMW products, it should be right on top. Otherwise it seemed like an easy engine bay to work in/service DIY.

Anyway. I wanted to take it for a drive but it got dark and the Super Sports probably wouldn’t have enjoyed the 30* temps (and nor would I). The various salesppl were mentioning that they actually have sold every allocation they’ve gotten within 2-3 weeks; their current display of four cars is just slow to move bc of the winter months + covid/holiday/election/inauguration ****storm. I quite liked the white mica paint, much more than I thought. I’d love to see the A91 edition blue be available without the A91 package (and the weird 70s muscle-car throwback stripe on the C pillar).

Funny takeaway on the parts origin sticker:

1927DDA6-679C-4986-AAFD-92819B709E06.jpeg

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,728 Posts

The Z4 and Supra are built Magna Steyr - also BMW likely has very low margins on each Z4 sold. Since March of 2020 BMW has pretty much halted/slowed down the production for the Z4 and allowed the Supra to pump up their volume nonstop during this period. How do I know this? I tried to order a Z4 M40i since August of last year and NO dealer in California had allocations for 6 months. California, the state that doesn't rain, cannot get allocations from any dealership (I contacted every single one in SoCal) and they all said that likely won't have allocations until summer of 21. Go to Cars.com now and search nationwide... its been at 0 and the incoming stock are customer cars from last years allocation just arriving and have already been sold.

The reason why Supra sold more than the Z4 is not price or badge related, its entirely BMW refusing to manufacture it. Same thing as trying to order an M8 COUPE last year, impossible.
Thanks for the 'splainin.

I had remembered that Z4s were still outselling Supras in the US, so I was a bit puzzled indeed. I guess it is more a good thing for Nissan that they can still pump out 370s.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,405 Posts
Cammisa has a new video out on the 2021.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, as I do most content he creates. I hope his tenure with Hagerty is lasting.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

It would be interesting to learn the details of the manufacturing agreement with Magna for the Z4/Supra. I would have assumed there were minimum guaranteed purchase numbers in the agreement to protect Magna and allow them to recoup at a minimum all tooling/production costs. I wonder why BMW stopped manufacturing orders - surely Magna can produce more of them at BMWs request, and why produce basically one year's worth of cars and not even give a slow selling but mainstream-priced model a few years exposure?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I drove a DCT M2C a while back. I was not terribly thrilled with it, which really bummed me out. Granted it was on a canned route with a salesperson and it was totally unfamiliar to me... but still. It lacked occasion?

I am going to drive a Supra eventually. I echo what a few reviewers have pointed out. The cabin is tomb-like. I’ve been in plenty of cars with black headliners and no sunroof and the Supra was especially oppressive.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
So, what are the stats on the Supra?

Just guessing,
50% are drag cars
20% owned by car reviewers
10% garage/C&C queens
30% sitting on dealer lots

1901 - 1920 of 1922 Posts