VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in about a month I'll be back in the US. I currently have an '06 V8 Limited 4Runner that is pretty sweet, but it spent a lot of life in Buffalo, NY, and I'm concerned about rust. I'd also like my DD to be a mindless, warranty-laden vehicle that I don't have to stress over.

I have a mildly built C6Z as a toy, so my DD does not need to be small, RWD, or manual. Those things are all covered.

Things I do need:

AWD/4WD - both for winter time road-going, as well as camping/exploring abilities
Convenience stuff - keyless go, HIDs, bluetooth, etc
Space - active duty military, so lots of bags and miscellaneous crap. avid cyclist, so bike carrying ability is important.
Reliability - would prefer to avoid small displacement turbo motors

Currently, I have pondered a new Silverado 1500 Custom. I've also considered a new 4Runner and even another GSW 1.8T like I leased prior to this deployment.

WHY LEASE?

I can cut any lease off early if I get deployment orders..I likely will, thanks to Don at the wheel. So, this is probably an 18-24 month lease. I will sign for 36/39 months with $0 down. Would like to be as close to $400 as possible.

For fun, here is what I'm in now.

2007 C6Z w/ 7k miles - good weather toy (although, have a 3500 mile road trip planned in July)

2006 T4R w/ 156k miles - bad weather / DD

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you're in a state that only taxes the monthly payment, you can get something like the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport for $400 or less. Lesser trim models would be even cheaper, and they have AWD versions.

I realize that's a sedan, but it's a **** ton of car for the money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you're in a state that only taxes the monthly payment, you can get something like the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport for $400 or less. Lesser trim models would be even cheaper, and they have AWD versions.

got a link to the lease deal?

·
Registered
83,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I don't think you'll have any reliability issues on a 36 or 39 month lease that are specific to a motor. What about a manual Alltrack SE?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
My sister just leased a '17 trailhawk Jeep Grand Cherokee for $421 a month with just taxes and fees down.

MSRP over $49k. 36 month, 10k mile lease. Pushes your budget a bit but I think the tail hawk is an incredible package and worth a bit more.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
got a link to the lease deal?
No specific links, but right now on the RWD Red Sport the the residual is 57% for 39 months and the money factor is .00003 (so basically no interest). Combine that with really high discounts, and it becomes a smoking deal. You should be able to get $7-8k off at a minimum without much work, and even higher if you can combine with some potential VPP discounts (if you have access to the program).

I got some rough numbers yesterday and it was going to be in the low $400s with no haggling and just the first payment due at signing. That included rolling dealer, tag, and acquisition fees into it. With haggling it would've definitely been under $400.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you'll have any reliability issues on a 36 or 39 month lease that are specific to a motor. What about a manual Alltrack SE?
Having had three MK7s, it sounds nice. I just hate that you can't get them w/ OEM HID without jumping through the hoop of a special order. I had LP on my second GTI and on the GSW I briefly leased prior to this deployment, and I couldn't go back to a MK7 without it.

Oddly enough, I had some crazy stumbling with less than 1k on that GSW, but it never came back. I'm a little cautious, but I do love Volkswagens...so if I could get in another that had LP, I might. GTI Sport is another intriguing option, just not great for my winter preferences.

Looks like the Durango and Grand Cherokee have good leases right now.
Might want to check on those.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/dodge/durango/prices

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jeep/grand-cherokee/prices
Thank you very much for those links. That'll be helpful in June.

No joke - you can get a LOT of Infiniti for under $400. Damn. I may have to look into the 3.0t AWD. Not a huge Nissan guy, but worth a look.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

Not that cheap. Maybe 450 excluding taxes and fees, but anyone doing a $0 down lease is not getting close to 400. You can get a regular 3.0TT for that though.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Having had three MK7s, it sounds nice. I just hate that you can't get them w/ OEM HID without jumping through the hoop of a special order. I had LP on my second GTI and on the GSW I briefly leased prior to this deployment, and I couldn't go back to a MK7 without it.

Oddly enough, I had some crazy stumbling with less than 1k on that GSW, but it never came back. I'm a little cautious, but I do love Volkswagens...so if I could get in another that had LP, I might. GTI Sport is another intriguing option, just not great for my winter preferences.
If it's that big a deal you could get Ed's reps and resell them at the end of the lease. People seem to still scoop them up. Personally it just sounds like you enjoy the Mk. VII platform, if you like the car I wouldn't worry about the headlights. But then again I've been stumbling around in the dark with halogens for years. :p

·
Registered
83,416 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Leased a 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. MSRP was $36,7XX.

42 months
15k/year
$0 down - made only the first payment at delivery
= $346/month AFTER tax

Absolutely absurd residual and MF on these things. Tossed the wheels from my 4Runner on it (keeping stocks brand new for turn-in) and enjoying it. It's slow, but hey, that's why I've got a 630hp Z06 for the nice days.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Good grief that's a good deal. What was the sale price before taxes (did you negotiate off MSRP or by monthly payment)?

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, good job! I'm assuming close to a 60% residual on that lease? :thumbup:
It was 73% haha, $28,XXX

Good grief that's a good deal. What was the sale price before taxes (did you negotiate off MSRP or by monthly payment)?
Sale price was $33,9XX. Toyota actually has a decent price drop on these things right now, which is odd.

Admittedly, I negotiated on monthly payment here. I deploy semi-frequently, and can turn the lease in when I do so, irregardless of the terms of the lease...so the less money out of pocket/month is the important part for me.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Sale price was $33,9XX. Toyota actually has a decent price drop on these things right now, which is odd.
Wow - MSRP roughly $40K?

Thank you for your service! Congrats!!

·
Registered
14,466 Posts
Wow, nice! Are you back in PowerCat territory?

Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts