VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
f1 racing clutches from ebay, BT ?

*** Edit ***
This thread kicked off some good discussion, and as our forum lacks any other good discussion on clutches we're going to use this as a catch-all for clutch discussion.
Try to post your questions and comments in here so we can get some talk going.
Thanks.
anyone rocking one of these on a BT car ? I want to run it on my t3super60 A4 but want to see if anyone has used one of these. if it's good for the dirt cheap price im down

http://cgi.ebay.ca/F1-RACING-S...wItem

Modified by robbyb413 at 5:48 PM 7/31/2007

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Flywheel looks like something from Autocom, I have one on my B5 A4 and it serves me well. I won't go so far as to say the clutch is anything you'd want though

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (Geoff Rood)

hmmm more opinions needed. the car will be putting down high 290 whp and will not be launched ever

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you do a google search, you hear about people who had bad experiences... but then, that's true for everything. It's pretty rare that people actually report a good experience, and people love to knock on unknown brands.
That said, you do see a few people post positive reviews of these. The negative reviews are rarely well-written and coherent, suggesting that the person is just angry and that they're probably not too smart. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is just that they didn't break it in properly.

·
17,317 Posts
Re: (optiks)

Quote, originally posted by optiks »
for the price ?

I think my man here would have something to say about that...

"You Pay for What you Get.... you Pay for what you get"
It isn't simply a matter of getting what you pay for. Crap performance is one thing... a clutch that slips, slips. But risking it grenading like a neglected g60? That's paying for what you got!
I guess in the end though I'm not an engineer, so that could just be F/U/D talking...
Edit:
Plus they list the MSRP @ $1340 for that... Spec and Southbend would both list stronger clutches for less than that, so clearly this is some shady putz who wants to make it look like a "Helluva deal". And we all know how good a deal those always are.

Modified by robbyb413 at 4:39 PM 7/30/2007

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (robbyb413)

i realize its you get what you pay for but im looking to see if anyone is actually running this setup on an upgraded turbo a4. I can drop the cash on another brand but if people have having sucess with this i will go with it since it comes with a flywheel. so far there has only been speculation that its ****ty

·
17,317 Posts
Re: (optiks)

Well, if you don't want people's comments then don't ask questions in a public forum.

I personally bought a spec clutch recently after doing my research. Truth be told I tried to order a south bend, but his online ordering wasn't working so I said screw it. I was 50/50 so that made up my mind for me...
Maybe you should search the 1.8T technical forum for some threads on clutches and search the entire board for ebay clutches and see what pops up?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
if your looking for a good clutch pressure plate combo and don't care about having a flashy flywheel that won't do crap.
go to a local speed shop, preferably a v8 place since a tuner place will just tell you to order so in so hks bajillion dollar item, tell them you want a clutch and plate re surfaced with a copper compound and the pressure plate and clutch springs upgraded. they'll either give you a places number or do it themselves. you can have this done in a day. or just look around on google for a place to send your clutch out to. it costed abotu 200 dollars for my mr2 so i would guess it couldn't be much more. they can also convert it to unsprung with high density bushings instead of springs but since you said you won't be launching it shouldn't be needed.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Re: (Elballoonrat)

Quote, originally posted by Elballoonrat »
if your looking for a good clutch pressure plate combo and don't care about having a flashy flywheel that won't do crap.
go to a local speed shop, preferably a v8 place since a tuner place will just tell you to order so in so hks bajillion dollar item, tell them you want a clutch and plate re surfaced with a copper compound and the pressure plate and clutch springs upgraded. they'll either give you a places number or do it themselves. you can have this done in a day. or just look around on google for a place to send your clutch out to. it costed abotu 200 dollars for my mr2 so i would guess it couldn't be much more. they can also convert it to unsprung with high density bushings instead of springs but since you said you won't be launching it shouldn't be needed.

That's an interesting idea... I might try that too. How much torque would that be good for?

·
Banned
5,429 Posts

Quote, originally posted by robbyb413 »
Well, if you don't want people's comments then don't ask questions in a public forum.

I personally bought a spec clutch recently after doing my research. Truth be told I tried to order a south bend, but his online ordering wasn't working so I said screw it. I was 50/50 so that made up my mind for me...
Maybe you should search the 1.8T technical forum for some threads on clutches and search the entire board for ebay clutches and see what pops up?

which stage did you end up getting rob? our cars are probably putting out around the same power, and the biggest i think i would go is k04

·
17,317 Posts
Re: (geoff16vII)

I have the SA59242. It's some revision of the stage II clutch, but it's good up to over 510 foot lbs of torque as opposed to the normal 330 foot lbs.
Spec said for a gt28rs it will be plenty, which is what I'm looking at right now.

·
Banned
5,429 Posts

hmm, that might be the best bang for the buck. 330 isnt ALOT of torque, i would estimate im not too far off that now, and i dont want to have to buy that, destroy it, and then have to upgrade again.
thanks dude

·
17,317 Posts

What are you running right now? I mean even if you had a k04 w/ a more agressive file like the 01 hammer file you wouldn't be putting down over 220 or 230 WTQ.... still well short of 330 at the flywheel.

·
Banned
5,429 Posts

GIAC software, n75 race, strat DV, K&N, ATP 3" TP, remus muffler.
i estimated 280 to the crank on the HIGH end, and like i said, k04 would be more than enough for me. when i need one if i call them and tell them my setup will they advise as to the best option?

·
17,317 Posts

Quote, originally posted by geoff16vII »
i estimated 280 to the crank on the HIGH end, and like i said, k04 would be more than enough for me. when i need one if i call them and tell them my setup will they advise as to the best option?

I think 280 at the crank for that setup would be a big optimistic, considering the chip would give you 195 to 205 at the crank and the rest won't account for another 75 HP.
Give spec a call. Just remember they're not Audi specific, so they don't know a ton about our cars. I cross-refrenced with an Audi tuner to be safe. I'd recomend doing the same in your case.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Quote, originally posted by geoff16vII »

With bolt-ons, people get no more than 300 at the crank with a k04. I'd expect a k03 to be around 40hp less, so let's guess a max of 260.

·
Banned
5,429 Posts
Re: (splitsecond)

were talking about torque, my car has no more than 220 hp....at the MOST. can manufacturer claims for hp and tq potential be accurate when trying to figure these numbers out? i dont want to get a dyno just to figure out which clutch i need.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts