VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: (ducatipaso)

Quote, originally posted by ducatipaso »
cool idea. save your money though, because your useless mod will result in your needing to replace your MAF and eventually a turbo once something impacts a compressor blade.

That makes no sense. What's going to happen differently to a car with the cone filter directly on the MAF vs. one with a few inches of piping between the cone filter and the MAF? Nothing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: (robbyb413)

i heard that having the cone close to the MAF will cause inacurate readings as aposed to one spaced further away...not real sure tho

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: (boost19)

That also makes no sense. The MAF doesn't care how far air has traveled or how long it was in the intake system before it got to the sensor. If all things are equal having a cone on the MAF vs. on a piece of piping or another intake all together will not matter.
If you're having issues with oil being sucked off a K&N onto the sensor it will cause problems, but that would happen no matter how far it is from the sensor, so also not relevant (putting that out there pre-emptively).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anyone tested HP gains from K&N versus an open element filter?

I am wondering if anyone tested the gains of a K&N drop in filter in a stock engine verses an open element intake set up. Is it really worth anything?? Who has the best kit for the money. Can I put a cone filter on the end?
Thanx

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Re: Anyone tested HP gains from K&N versus an open element filter? (A4x4T)

Quote, originally posted by A4x4T »
I am wondering if anyone tested the gains of a K&N drop in filter in a stock engine verses an open element intake set up. Is it really worth anything?? Who has the best kit for the money. Can I put a cone filter on the end?
Thanx

An intake won't net you anything on a 1.8T.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would think a cone filter with a smooth pipe and larger diameter would be able to flow more air than the stock box with all it's baffles and tight bends.
So your saying go with a K&N drop in for best results?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Re: (A4x4T)

Quote, originally posted by A4x4T »
I would think a cone filter with a smooth pipe and larger diameter would be able to flow more air than the stock box with all it's baffles and tight bends.
So your saying go with a K&N drop in for best results?

The stock box flows more than well enough for the stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
300 dollars for intakes! great googly moogly a4's are expensive.
everyone should buy a 100dollar stick welder, you can make your self very highquality steel intakes with a nice filter for well under 100.
best bet is find a shop with a tig that your friendly with, buy the bends and cut them all yourself and mark them with a knife so the welder knows how to line them up. bends will cost you 30 max, welding by friend should cost no more than 50, a nice reusable filter can be had for as cheap as 20 bucks at a local meet. hks foamies flow well and have a bell housing on the inside.
300 bucks still blows my mind, they must have done alot of testing to net that cost. i guess 300 makes up for the loss of customers like myself who just look at a design and copy it.

Modified by Elballoonrat at 6:40 PM 7-23-2007

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i picked up an ABD quick flow at waterfest... havnt installed yet but.. i just got it for looks and maybe a little throatier sound when driving.. i know it dosnt improve HP by much..

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
BMC/CDA intake works well but it's a custom install. Heres one fitted to my old 2.8.

·
Banned
714 Posts
eBay Intake

So i ordered an eBay intake the other week and finally came in and today i put it on. No real performance noticeable but it did sound better http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Heres a pic of it, and i need a heat sheild!http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Re: (robbyb413)

Quote, originally posted by robbyb413 »
That also makes no sense. The MAF doesn't care how far air has traveled or how long it was in the intake system before it got to the sensor. If all things are equal having a cone on the MAF vs. on a piece of piping or another intake all together will not matter.
If you're having issues with oil being sucked off a K&N onto the sensor it will cause problems, but that would happen no matter how far it is from the sensor, so also not relevant (putting that out there pre-emptively).

a cone filter directly before the MAF creates a vortex of air causing inaccurate readings. A velocity stack is necessary to avoid this, that’s why there is one in the stock air box, its not just there for looks...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: eBay Intake (BONFIRE074)

lool... u wont feel any performance on these things and since you bought it on ebay u loose hp also.. hahahaha.. jk.. u do a full intake + dp + catback... then u might feel something hapening in the higher RPM ranges... but who cares really .. this looks good... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: (docurley)

Quote, originally posted by docurley »
BMC/CDA intake works well but it's a custom install. Heres one fitted to my old 2.8.

its funny how every thing is oposite on this car...
it took me a while to understand why.

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Re: (Euro-tuner)

Quote, originally posted by Euro-tuner »
a cone filter directly before the MAF creates a vortex of air causing inaccurate readings. A velocity stack is necessary to avoid this, that’s why there is one in the stock air box, its not just there for looks...

From the discussions I've had with two chip tuning companies they've been more concerned with the actual screen on the MAF to smooth the airflow than the velocity stack.
Either way, that has no bearing on the point that the distance between the filter and the MAF is the issue, which was the point made by the OP.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Re: (acroracer)

Quote, originally posted by acroracer »

its funny how every thing is oposite on this car...
it took me a while to understand why.

Yep I is a Brit

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Re: (BLK1.8Turbo)

Quote, originally posted by BLK1.8Turbo »
i picked up an ABD quick flow at waterfest... havnt installed yet but.. i just got it for looks and maybe a little throatier sound when driving.. i know it dosnt improve HP by much..

IM sent.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts