VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: Anyone tested HP gains from K&N versus an open element filter? (TallaiMan)

Quote, originally posted by TallaiMan »

An intake won't net you anything on a 1.8T.

what about a 2.8...?

·
Banned
18 Posts
TRU cold air intake for 1.8t B5!!!!!

Hey guys I just came back from vacation. I was "down unda" in Australia when I came across this. I simply could not pass it up. not sitting bove the hot turbo like my old u - shaped one I had on before. Heres a pic installed. Oh and the torque pull seems endless. (except for that damn rev limiter)

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Re: TRU cold air intake for 1.8t B5!!!!! (quattrolover)

Quote, originally posted by quattrolover »
k&n style filter sits under coolant tank getting air from the SMIC ducts

so it trades pulling in the warm air on the left side of the turbo for pulling in air from the other side of the car, then runing it by the hot engine and over the hot turbo? It's probably just as warm when it gets there, plus you have all that piping!

Well built heat shield > that thing.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Re: TRU cold air intake for 1.8t B5!!!!! (robbyb413)

ahh i thought that too, but with my old u shape pipe, i could barely touch it after a hard run. Now it isnt even hot. just warm

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Re: TRU cold air intake for 1.8t B5!!!!! (quattrolover)

This is the one I'm looking to buy for my 1.8T.

Simota Air Intake.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Re: TRU cold air intake for 1.8t B5!!!!! (supernafamacho)

If anyone is interested in this Cold air intake

i got it from Ludwig Tuning when i went to Canberra, Australia
here is there contact email
[email protected]
This intake is awesome!!! they claim 68% cooler air then my old u shaped one. best purchase i made down there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Re: (JeTLi427)

Ok, so Im inquiring about this more because I aspire to be a mechanical engineer, so these things interest me.
Would it be possible to run a custom Airbox with a Cone Filter? I was thinking one could make a custom airbox which is fed by wheel well air and "normal" intake air. But then have a cone intake inside of it.
While looking through this thread I read about "velocity stacks." this is the first time ive ever heard about these, so bear with me. Do most people use these on their aftermarket cone filtered intakes? Could you reuse the stock one(i read that there is one on the stock intake) with a cone filter?
thx

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Re: (verb.move)

i bought the carbonio intake last summer. i bought purely on looks because it really doesn't help out in the HP department. this thing does look great!! plus it looks similar to the stock intake.

the install was a pain in theass, only because i was sent the kit for a 99.5 and up and i have a 98.5. so the kit was missing a few pieces. I fabed up a few pieces and took care of the problem. i ran into another problem with the a/c lines and had to trim carbon fiber portion to fit around the lines.
i was already chipped, and had a forge dv installed, and paired with this intake you can really hear the (look at me i have a turbo sound), that some people want to hear.
so if you want a great looking, stock type intake, that makes cool sounds, and cost an arm and a leg this intake is for you.
i bought mine for a little under $400 from ngp, and if i had it to do over i would still have bought it.
Dan

Modified by Big Euro at 10:01 AM 3-23-2008

·
Banned
4,843 Posts
who makes an intake that is a cone filter with a heat shiled?

im buying an A4 (well, trading my 350whp GTI for one). there is no airbox, just a filter on the end of the inlet hose, but there is NO heatshield. just a cone filter sucking in exhaust mani-heated air.
i really want something like the EvoMS "V-Flow" for the VW 1.8t.
thanks guys!!!

·
Banned
4,843 Posts
Re: who makes an intake that is a cone filter with a heat shiled? (Lazer Viking)

anyone know where to get just a good heat shield? and i will just slap on a cone filter? i want a really good heat shield (not just for looks
)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Re: (Nelson20VT)

Quote, originally posted by Nelson20VT »
Check with Matt at Blinktek design. He custom fabs them for the b5 and they're sick. I'll be ordering mine shortly.

thats the one i got they are the sh*t! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

41 - 60 of 81 Posts