VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Looks fun. Also, i hate cats. Probably the devastating allergies that ruined every sleep over as a child:(

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
Do you ever think that stinger out front is going to come in handy? After having seen an accident where a Jeep's stinger went through someone's front window I can't stand them.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Do you ever think that stinger out front is going to come in handy? After having seen an accident where a Jeep's stinger went through someone's front window I can't stand them.
Thought the same. I guess they are handy if you hit a moose?

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,036 Posts
Looks fun. Also, i hate cats. Probably the devastating allergies that ruined every sleep over as a child:(
I'd have a cat if it weren't for my allergies.

Also, I'm surprised at those saying their cats don't like cars. Not that it occured often, but the old family cat i referenced above, enjoyed car rides. Typically limited to hurricane evacuations. But he would just post up on the area behind the rear seats (sedan) snug against the glass, sun bathe, and sleep for the duration of the ride.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's purely to protect the winch and is great for hanging a hammock. :thumbup:

·
Millennial
German crap
23,721 Posts
I was terribly allergic to them when I first started dating my wife. Coming to visit her house when we were on breaks from college was awful. Constant red, itchy eyes and runny nose.

But when we adopted a kitty together (my namesake), I built up a tolerance to it. Haven’t had any issues in 15 years. Don’t know if that’s normal or not, but somehow I’m fine now.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I was terribly allergic to them when I first started dating my wife. Coming to visit her house when we were on breaks from college was awful. Constant red, itchy eyes and runny nose.

But when we adopted a kitty together (my namesake), I built up a tolerance to it. Haven’t had any issues in 15 years. Don’t know if that’s normal or not, but somehow I’m fine now.
Same experience here. I think it's the continuous exposure. It wouldn't surprise me if I got away from cats for a few months if re-exposure would trigger allergy symptoms.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,321 Posts

I think that's up for debate.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I was allergic to dogs and after the first 6 months with our pup, i was allergy free. I think it can be done but i wouldn't want to test it with a cat for two factors. #1 my cat allergies were 50x worse then my original dog allergies and i generally think cats are useless lol. :snowcool:

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,694 Posts
Ack I love meezers!!!! That cat is adorable, thank you for sharing. :thumbup::thumbup:

I'd have a cat if it weren't for my allergies.

Also, I'm surprised at those saying their cats don't like cars. Not that it occured often, but the old family cat i referenced above, enjoyed car rides. Typically limited to hurricane evacuations. But he would just post up on the area behind the rear seats (sedan) snug against the glass, sun bathe, and sleep for the duration of the ride.
Pretty sure it depends on the cat, and to a lesser extent, the car. We've had three cats; one of them loved car rides (ironically it too was a meezer), one tolerates them, and one thinks they're the apocalypse. All we've acclimated to cars as kittens. All of them have done better in larger/quieter/comfier vehicles.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Alright well, took this one to get coffee at the drive through and back. She was not happy at first but adapted surprisingly quickly. I then took her for a short walk outside and she was very interested. I think she might be a potential future hiking and camping cat... which is not entirely surprising, we rescued her and her 3 kittens, they had been outdoors in an Arizona summer last year for who knows how long, she was emaciated and tiny when we found her since she had been feeding 3 kittens while presumably also hunting to feed herself.

The rest of the fam because why not -

Lyra and Bruce, mother and son -

Obi and Bruce. Not related.

And Mango. Adorable, but she has pretty bad resting bitch face. She also has some brain damage, so we let her get away with a lot.

And the little cat-magnet of the house, Murphy. He's their space warmer snuggle buddy.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Love all the cat pics. :D

We have a trip planned to the north rim of the Grand Canyon at the end of this month but we won't be taking our Camping Cat or any of the animals. We are going down to a ranch about 70 miles south of St. George, UT but they don't allow pets. Major bummer. :(

We did go to a Jeep meet up recently and he had a great time seeing everyone.

20200919_140832 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Our tabby siblings are 10 years old now but no less attitude.

They have more character than any cat I've ever met. And they're jumpers and climbers -- our male can jump about 6ft, and we have a floor to ceiling scratching post he climbs multiple times a day.

That said, they HATE the car. Probably because we didn't train them early. Same carrier or separate carriers, seems like they whine for the first few hours then eventually someone gets sick. seems like there's always a puking-then-****ting incident.

The one time one of them got 'loose' in the car, he LOVED the ride and sat with his front paws on the dashboard staring intently out the windshield. But, I'm too scared of having my interior clawed, or having them puke/**** "loose" in the car to let it go. And I have no idea how I'd retrieve them to put them back in the carrier when we arrive at our destination.

And window switches. Christ, one stepped on a window switch next to the highway once, that was terrifying.

I should try it, though. They probably would travel a lot better, and now that we have a slightly-more-beater car....

·
Registered
44,072 Posts
I should try it, though. They probably would travel a lot better, and now that we have a slightly-more-beater car....
How about elevating their carrier so they can see out the windows? That may be enough. They'd have something to look at and it may just be motion sickness. My youngest has that issue.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is key that we've found. We don't care too much about the interior of the Jeep. It get's muddy, dirty, and generally is well used but it has tough materials so it takes a lot for any noticeable damage.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts