VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my motor last year, just before SOWO and have been slowly collecting parts and I'm just about there. SO I figured I'd best make one of these to help me keep track of what I did and when I did it.
And because I'm not in SoCal anymore. Besides, that thread is, more or less, generally for the car as a whole.

So, what I've done since I pulled the engine and trans...

I tried to take the crank timing gear bolt off,.. without a flywheel locking tool. :facepalm:
I have the engine up on a stand. I put in 2 fly wheel bolts with a 17mm bar between them and the running end on the engine stand and tried to loosen the timing gear bolt. All I ended up doing was stripping out the crank.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I tossed the crank, have the rest of the internals FS and kept the block.
Maybe a 2.1 later.

So I got a replacement short block. It's 2 years newer and has 20K less miles than my block. :thumbup:

I got my AEB rebuilt.

Nothing fancy, all OEM.

New Cam Chain tensioner.

Billet coolant flange with AN fittings, new seals and sensor.

Hard pipe with welded AN fittings for the heater core

and line going to the coolant globe.

These to go with it.

I also replaced that plastic Y pipe with this.

Billet T-stat housing.

Got me the IE stage 3 timing belt kit.

The list says the kit comes with an OEM pump, I'm gonna call and ask why I got 1 with a metal impeller.

The manual tensioner tool.

Some of this

For some of these.

Upgraded to this, so I won't have to worry about it breaking apart.

and this to help with the clutch chatter.

I replaced all of the gaskets, crush washers, stretch bolts, O-rings and seals while I was in there.

Nobody cares about that stuff, so that's all you get.

Also did some free stuff.

I shaved my AWP valve cover and I will be giving it that brushed aluminum finish.

I port matched the intake ports,

I port matched my AWP mani to my AEB head.

The Exhaust ports

The FT Mani was already port matched, good job Doug.:thumbup:

The TB was also done.

For the Transmission.
I got NLS' shim kit.

I also realized that with the FFE billet shifter bracket bushings the OEM bolts barely thread in. They were short 5-8 threads. So I got slightly longer bolts, threw some Nordlock washers on them and cut them down to size.

The stock is on top.
The original length is the bottom and my measured and cut length is in the middle.

I also got my FW re-surfaced and all new bolts for it and the pressure plate.

I have a few more odds and ends coming over the next week or 2 and those will be posted.

My boy Boost.

:D

Ps: Yes I really am doing this in an apartment and on the 2nd floor none the less.
My wife thought she had a dining room.:laugh:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FV-QR

lol. Sorry bud. I got Married and she got stationed out here.

Same way we got it up here. lol. Lots of muscle. I conned one of my neighbors to help the wife and I to get it up here. lol. This bitch is HEAVY. WAY heavier than I thought it'd be.

Some friends are gonna help with the install.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The billet coolant pieces look familiar :). Looks like you got some fun work ahead of you going to keep my eye on this. :thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is the NLS shim kit for? I was looking into it since im replacing my clutch in my GLI, but never understand what is it for...it looks to me like an upgrade? Or how do you know you need it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
On 02M transmissions, the slave cylinders are not always up to task if you want to use an uprated clutch.

When you press the clutch pedal, the pushrod in the slave doesn't have enough force to fully actuate the pressure plate.

The NLS shim kit places the slave cylinder closer to the pressure plate, so the pushrod doesn't have to travel as far, meaning there's more available force to compress the tines.

Not everyone needs this, and not everyone experiences teh problem, but it's cheap enough that its worth it to include while doing a clutch job.

There is also an issue of input shaft axial play which everyone with an 02M should inspect for. On models with teh removable rear plate, the input shaft is lacking a critical bushing and can result in the shaft boring itself a roomier seat, which allows it to wiggle about, and cause clutch and gear engagement issues. gearbox whine during deceleration is another symptom.

Check the Manual trans forum for more detailed information.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The billet coolant pieces look familiar :). Looks like you got some fun work ahead of you going to keep my eye on this. :thumbup:
lol. They're straight sex.
I was hoping to have the engine back in on Sunday, but i'm having a hell of a time with the timing chain.

What is the NLS shim kit for? I was looking into it since im replacing my clutch in my GLI, but never understand what is it for...it looks to me like an upgrade? Or how do you know you need it.

Thanks,
On top of what rstolz said, I've noticed it to be more common with those who have single mass flywheels. Even more so with those who have had them resurfaced.

There is also an issue of input shaft axial play which everyone with an 02M should inspect for. On models with teh removable rear plate, the input shaft is lacking a critical bushing and can result in the shaft boring itself a roomier seat, which allows it to wiggle about, and cause clutch and gear engagement issues. gearbox whine during deceleration is another symptom.

Check the Manual trans forum for more detailed information.
This is new info to me. My tranny doesn't have the removable rear plate, but I have a buddy with a GLI who is having a whine upon deceleration. Can that bushing be installed? or are those trannies just SOL?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AWP mani to AEB port matching.

I pulled my old front main cover off, replaced the crank seal and applied new OEM sealant.

Also go the new IE, 6 bolt, billet crank timing gear on.

Also with the rest of my IE stage 3 timing belt kit and FluiDamper.
Pic will be posted tonight.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am no expert but I have fought with a few of the O2M trannys and the issues the NLS shim kit is supposed to solve.

I would take a look at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75I24cGxQY and I believe the author of this thread references the same thing in this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=310279

We have done a couple of them, with OE supplied parts (shims come in different widths based on wear) and have fixed all the issues the O2M's have with stuck clutch and not being able to get them in and out of gear.

Just a thought since you have this all apart, its a breeze to replace the shim.

EDIT... Great build by the way. choosing all the right parts. Nice work.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am no expert but I have fought with a few of the O2M trannys and the issues the NLS shim kit is supposed to solve.

I would take a look at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75I24cGxQY and I believe the author of this thread references the same thing in this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=310279

We have done a couple of them, with OE supplied parts (shims come in different widths based on wear) and have fixed all the issues the O2M's have with stuck clutch and not being able to get them in and out of gear.

Just a thought since you have this all apart, its a breeze to replace the shim.
I believe that is the bushing/shim rstolz was referring to.
For reasons unknown, to me, VW produced different o2m transmissions. Besides just the differences in bell housings between the 1.8T and Vr motors.

I have an o2m from a '02 337, it doesn't have the removable rear plate. So, I'm good to go there.
Thanks for the tip though.

EDIT... Great build by the way. choosing all the right parts. Nice work.
Thanks bud.:beer:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Great build and it reminds me of some of the things I did in my old apartment.My neighbors thought I was nuts and pretty much hated me because i was always dragging something they didnt approve of in or out of my place.Usually I was rebuilding one of my KX's but I did a VW motor too_One thing that was a life saver is they sell these large trays with a small lip used to catch water from flats of plants at green house/garden centers.They worked great for keeping liquids and stuff from projects off of the floor,ten times better than tarps :laugh:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FV-QR

lol. My neighbors don't care that I have 3 blocks up stairs. lol. What does bother them is when I drop my 1/2" ratchet or something equivalent. lol.
I got the big sheet metal trays from Auto zone, $10 a pop. They're 2'x4' or something like that. I still manage to spill oil and **** every now and again. We're gona have to re-carpet before we get out of here.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaaaaap. Madness got a build thread. 2.1!!!!

But yeah I had the dreaded clutch drag problem that the NLS shims fixed BTW.

Be very wary of ALH cranks. Check all tolerances in reference with the Bentley.

But anyways buy you an intake manifold. :p

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaaaaap. Madness got a build thread. 2.1!!!!

But yeah I had the dreaded clutch drag problem that the NLS shims fixed BTW.

Be very wary of ALH cranks. Check all tolerances in reference with the Bentley.

But anyways buy you an intake manifold. :p
lol.
I wont be going 2.1 in this thread. But I will be with my other block later on. Maybe next year.

NLS can thanks you for me buying that shim. lol. You're the only person I've seen with it.

Don't you have an ALH crank? What all did you have to do to yours?

lol. I almost got me an IE manifold but I ran short on funds.

I still have a few small things inbound.
From the looks of it, all I need to purchase is a cam chain, PCV valve and accessory belt.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NLS shim kit installed.

The ring goes on first.

back side of the TOB.

Shim on.

all installed.
tq'd to 9ftlbs as per the Bentley manual.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I believe that is the bushing/shim rstolz was referring to.
sorry, been away a bit., Cosmic and Maddness, yea that's exactly the piece I was referring to. Aside from the TDI forum post, there's also 2 very good threads in the manual trans forum here on vortex.

If you don't have the removable plate, as I understand it, you should be ok, if you do have that plate, you're in danger and should replace or install the bushing/shim.

you probably have picked up on that already if you read the other thread.

:thumbup::thumbup::beer:

Also, either your lady friend is endlessly understanding and supportive, or you keep her in a cage most of the time.

Ok, one more. You obviously have the know-how, so I might suggest rigging up a cradle and winch, and just winch the sucker down the side of the building. If we hadn't moved, I had plans drawn up for one for groceries off my 3rd floor apartment's porch.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
What fitting did you use on the billet CTS housing? I'm referring to the larger one that points to the radiator. I'm having a hard time finding a -16 orb to 1.50 inch, seems you've found it. Unless that's a -20.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A bit of advice I on the TOB: bench bleed that sucker and cap it before you install the trans on the engine block. Be careful when you push it against the clutch as it will compress the TOB and force fluid back out of it. :)

Really helps with the bleeding of the system.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Props to you, sir for doing whatever it takes! :popcorn:
Thanks bud.:beer:

sorry, been away a bit., Cosmic and Maddness, yea that's exactly the piece I was referring to. Aside from the TDI forum post, there's also 2 very good threads in the manual trans forum here on vortex.

If you don't have the removable plate, as I understand it, you should be ok, if you do have that plate, you're in danger and should replace or install the bushing/shim.

you probably have picked up on that already if you read the other thread.

:thumbup::thumbup::beer:

Also, either your lady friend is endlessly understanding and supportive, or you keep her in a cage most of the time.

Ok, one more. You obviously have the know-how, so I might suggest rigging up a cradle and winch, and just winch the sucker down the side of the building. If we hadn't moved, I had plans drawn up for one for groceries off my 3rd floor apartment's porch.
You understand correctly, My 02m does not have the removable plate. Transmission Code ERR.
Nah, its just that L-O DICK.

lol.
Seriously though, she's ****in awesome like that.

What fitting did you use on the billet CTS housing? I'm referring to the larger one that points to the radiator. I'm having a hard time finding a -16 orb to 1.50 inch, seems you've found it. Unless that's a -20.
Are you talking about this?

Sorry I'm not all nomenclature savvy, I see cool shinny billet things and buy them. lol.
This is what the seller, Dameon, told me to get to make it work with a stock coolant hose.
http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Hose_Barb_x_Male_SAE_ORB_45_p/4603.htm?1=1&CartID=0
I will be going SS braided later on.

A bit of advice I on the TOB: bench bleed that sucker and cap it before you install the trans on the engine block. Be careful when you push it against the clutch as it will compress the TOB and force fluid back out of it. :)

Really helps with the bleeding of the system.
:thumbup: I will do that this week sometime. Thanks for the heads up.:beer:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts