VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I had an 86 one.... It was a basket case back in 98 when I had it.... 180K on the clock, literally everything was breaking on it.
Thing would fly on the highway though. I think this car was far and away ahead of its time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: (medicracer)

My parents had the non-turbo version. The car was so ahead of its time back then. Its hard to believe its almost 245 years old when you compare it to some of the other ARCHIVE articles. It really was something for its time and has aged incredibly well.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Re: FV-QR (VDub2625)

Quote, originally posted by VDub2625 »
5000S Turbo>200 Turbo Quattro>S4?

if > = < then YES

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1984 Audi 5000S Turbo (MEIN_VW)

Heh, I have that very same radio in my Audi 4000. 0-60 in 10.5 seconds...
my dog slow turbo-less Audi 4000 manages 9.5 seconds. That automatic put a huge dent in performance though, a modern 4-speed overdrive box would have helped a lot.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1984 Audi 5000S Turbo (NJRoadfan)

Wow only 140 hp? Crasy to think that modern engines the same size now produce 2-3x that power...

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1984 Audi 5000S Turbo (NJRoadfan)

Quote, originally posted by NJRoadfan »
Heh, I have that very same radio in my Audi 4000. 0-60 in 10.5 seconds...
my dog slow turbo-less Audi 4000 manages 9.5 seconds. That automatic put a huge dent in performance though, a modern 4-speed overdrive box would have helped a lot.

No kidding. It doesn't shift into second until 52 MPH!

·
Registered
633 Posts
My user name is Type44 for a reason. This was more commonly known as the Type 44 than the later C3 platform nomenclature.
What a car it was. C&D laments the lack of a manual trans and 25 more HP... In 1986, Audi delivered. The 5000CS (note the C) Turbo had 162 hp and three pedals. ) 0-60 in 7.7 and 135 flat out. Was also available as a Quattro. A fantastic machine with either drivetrain- but that FWD one was just a bit faster.
I owned both over the years, and the Qs were nice, but that Nautical Blue '87, complete with 80stastic blue leather interior, will always stand out in my mind. I got it in '96 when I was 20. I had to learn how to turn wrenches to keep it going- heck, I've turned pro since- but I was in Tucson for college but spent most weekends in Phoenix. That thing was the Interstate Missile. There was no photo enforcement back then, gas was under $1... we're talking door-to-door averages over 90 mph here.
I'd say I miss the car, but a look at the chipped urS4 on the driveway reminds me that I still have all the virtues, few of the vices of that 5000- I just want that era back!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1984 Audi 5000S Turbo (HerrGolf)

Quote, originally posted by HerrGolf »
Thanks! My dad had one of these when I was a child and when it wasn't in the shop, it really was a solid, smooth, and opulent vehicle. Cavernous interior, too. Made mom's Accord look limp-wristed.

I was a kid too when my dad got a 5000S. I still remember the awesome sound of the vacuum actuated central locking that amused me to no end. Car was so pimp it had three cigarette lighters. One in the front and one in each rear door.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I totaled my dads 79 5000s. I finaly climbed out from under the covers after he brought home one of the first 84 NA 5000s around. I still remember that car prowling up the driveway that night. Beautiful. All my friends called it the moon mobile.

Modified by rlfletch at 12:42 AM 10-13-2009

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1984 Audi 5000S Turbo (HerrGolf)

Quote, originally posted by HerrGolf »

No kidding. It doesn't shift into second until 52 MPH!

Crap, you're right! Hah!!! Well, I have been given 2 of these beasts that both run great and one even drives. I'll be combining both into one car very soon. Should make a lovely daily beater. Both have under 120k on them too! 3 speed autotragics and all.... What a time warp!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1984 Audi 5000S Turbo (Daniel)

My first 5000 burned me, but I couldn't stay away. It had 280k miles, but drove better than some cars with 80k miles.
I decided to go with the last of the type-44s, one without the terrible CIS, somewhat better wiring, and a heck of a lot more power.

I love my money pit. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Re: (tehAndy)

Quote, originally posted by tehAndy »
That Pontiac 6000STE looks like quite the performance bargain of it's day.

It was, indeed. The dashboard was a little goofy, but it was fairly well thought-out as far as suspension tuning went. They were nice cars to drive. (Back in the day, I had a lot of seat time in a friend's 1984 6000STE.)

·
Registered
2020 GTI, 2016 GSW (Wife)
1,385 Posts
Re: (buddahvw)

We had 2 '85 5000S - NA though. I can just imagine how that would have drove with a turbo. Our first one was running on only 4 cyl. for a bit and my mom got it up to 180km/h without hesitation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts