VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
Re: (Rob.)

It's a Civic hatch with torque. This has more than even the current Si. (I can make fun, I own one.)
I thought it was interesting that it doesn't have directional wheels (the ones on the passenger side turn the "wrong" way).

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Tiger87)

Quote, originally posted by Tiger87 »
looks like the dodge colt from the other thread

Precisely, because the Colt was merely an imported, rebadged Mirage. (Oh, and all the controversy about the Colt GT in that other thread is why I scanned and posted this article.)

·
Registered
11,026 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rob. »
They tried to copy a civic hatch style and PHAILED ! LOL

Are you kidding??? This is my favorite small Mitsu ever. I wanted one of these pretty badly back in the day!

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Re: The Archive: 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo--C/D Aug 1989 (TurboMinivan)

i had forgotten all about this car. thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2016 Mazda MX-5 Club, 2012 Golf R, 2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium
2,231 Posts
Re: The Archive: 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo--C/D Aug 1989 (TurboMinivan)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Now this is what I'm talking about! Brings back memories for sure. What I find funny is how the know-it-alls slam this car. One, they've never seen one in person, much less driven one. Two, they don't realize what the car market was like back then and that this car(along with many of its competitors)was perfect for the times. Three, the younger ones don't get that outright speed isn't everything. These '80s pocket rockets were a party on wheels without putting you at risk of jail time for enjoying it.

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
Re: (adrew)

Quote, originally posted by adrew »

I thought it was interesting that it doesn't have directional wheels (the ones on the passenger side turn the "wrong" way).

My 18" Hollowspoke Porsche technology wheels are the same way.
Quote, originally posted by andlf »
i had forgotten all about this car. thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Ditto http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a 90 Eagle Summit back in High school which is the same thing as the colt/mirage.
It was a fun little car, SOHC 3 valve motor, 4 speed manual trans, manual steering, AC that would make passing or climbing hills near impossable with it on and automatic seat belts that would try to kill you.
No it doesnt sound good but it was good little economy car.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: FV-QR (iadubber)

Quote, originally posted by iadubber »
I had a buddy that swapped the 4g63 into his Colt and that thing was murderously fast for what it was.

From what I'm told, swapping a 4G63 into this Mirage/Colt body is not a difficult job... and, truth be told, I'd be tempted to do precisely that if I owned one of these turbo hatches. But even for what it was in stock form, I think it was a very well-rounded little econohunk (as C/D was fond of saying).

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,099 Posts
FV-QR

(first part of the counterpoint section) VW lost handling balance with a sixteen valve head on the same engine? Wow, if they only knew of VR swaps back then...

Modified by VDub2625 at 10:00 PM 10-5-2009

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: FV-QR (VDub2625)

That's a gorgeous cam cover, and 7.8 seconds back then was a definite BIG DEAL in that class. I'm surprised it wasn't purchased by more people looking for cheap speed: this car had it in spades. When you consider the hefty peak torque at 3000 rpm and the 7000 rpm redline, it certainly appears to be a flexible engine.
It is, sadly, a very generic shape to my eyes today, just as I remember it in my youth (this body style lasted until 1992). It can't decide if it's sad or funny how hopeful C/D was that Mitsu would make headway in the US market. They really did deserve better recognition.

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,099 Posts
FV-QR

Would this car have been considered in the same class or smaller then a GTI? I always thought of the Civic/Sentra as sharing the size class of a Fox back then... yet they were consistently compared to the Golf/GTI.
Also, what's with this "solid axle" business? What kind of rear axle does it have? I am not too familiar with econobox rear suspensions that aren't VW's torsion beam or fully independent.

Modified by VDub2625 at 10:14 PM 10-5-2009

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: FV-QR (VDub2625)

Quote, originally posted by VDub2625 »
Would this car have been considered in the same class or smaller then a GTI? I always thought of the Civic/Sentra as sharing the size class of a Fox back then... yet they were consistently compared to the Golf/GTI.
Also, what's with this "solid axle" business? What kind of rear axle does it have? I am not too familiar with econobox rear suspensions that aren't VW's torsion beam or fully independent.

Modified by VDub2625 at 10:14 PM 10-5-2009

It's a dead beam. Panhard rod, rigid axle. Tercels also had this after 1987 (or maybe 1991).

·
Registered
87,854 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rob. »
They tried to copy a civic hatch style and PHAILED ! LOL

Well, I can see some in the back. But Mitsubishi didn't need to copy Honda since they had already been making sporty front wheel drive hatchbacks.

I did think the 89+ Mirage's look was a bit odd at first, but the styling grew on me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.