VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know. The Mondial has always been an unloved Ferrari but I've always liked this model in cabriolet form. And having seen a pristine example just this afternoon reminded me just how much I've always like the Mondial.

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1991 Ferrari Mondial t - with Valeo automatic clutch (MEIN_VW)

Interesting... The first time I heard of/considered the possibility of a clutch pedal-less manual, this is what came to mind but I didn't know anyone had ever made one. Was this attempted in any other models?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1991 Ferrari Mondial t - with Valeo automatic clutch (TJSwoboda)

Quote, originally posted by TJSwoboda »
Interesting... The first time I heard of/considered the possibility of a clutch pedal-less manual, this is what came to mind but I didn't know anyone had ever made one. Was this attempted in any other models?

I thought there was a VW beetle in the seventies that has an "Automatic-stickshift" or something like that? I know back in High School a teacher had one. I can't recall exactly what it said on the back, the best I remember was "Automatic Stick" or something???

·
Registered
718 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1991 Ferrari Mondial t - with Valeo automatic clutch (MEIN_VW)

I remember seeing this back on the show "Beyond 2000" when my parents first got cable. I wish they could do something like this with modern f1/dual clutch setups. Part of the joy of driving a car, for me at least, is shifting through the gears, but in traffic constantly pushing in the clutch every 10 feet can get annoying. Flappy-paddle setups, while they may have technical advantages, just don't have that thrill. Same is said with manumatics that use a for/aft or side/side movement to manually change gears. I would think it would be easy to set up on a dual-clutch car, since there is no actual gear linkage as everything is electronic anyway. It may need some sort of lockout to prevent skipping gears, but it doesn't seem impossible.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The Archive - 1991 Ferrari Mondial t - with Valeo automatic clutch (TJSwoboda)

You mean like VW's DSG, Porsche's PDK or BMW's SMG? They don't have a conventional manual shifter, but they're all manual gearboxes with with automatic clutches.

·
Millennial
24,483 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1991 Ferrari Mondial t - with Valeo automatic clutch (CarGuru916)

Quote, originally posted by CarGuru916 »
I thought there was a VW beetle in the seventies that has an "Automatic-stickshift" or something like that? I know back in High School a teacher had one. I can't recall exactly what it said on the back, the best I remember was "Automatic Stick" or something???

yep - my grandfather had one of those autostick beetles. they used them in some porshes, too.

·
Millennial
24,483 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »
You mean like VW's DSG, Porsche's PDK or BMW's SMG? They don't have a conventional manual shifter, but they're all manual gearboxes with with automatic clutches.

that's not what he meant, we're talking about an automated clutch - manual shift, where you actually have to shift a lever through a traditional shift gate.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: The Archive - 1991 Ferrari Mondial t - with Valeo automatic clutch (Rabbit5GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Rabbit5GTI »

that's not what he meant, we're talking about an automated clutch - manual shift, where you actually have to shift a lever through a traditional shift gate.

Oh I know that. But I don't think automakers see much point in that when that would result in slower shifts. The whole point is get the car to shift faster.
Personally I always liked the idea of the Valeo clutch since it kept the traditional Ferrari shifter.

·
Millennial
24,483 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »
Oh I know that. But I don't think automakers see much point in that when that would result in slower shifts. The whole point is get the car to shift faster.
Personally I always liked the idea of the Valeo clutch since it kept the traditional Ferrari shifter.

i agree completely, but when these systems were developed/sold, the new technology wasn't there yet. even if back then they weren't faster than a traditional manual, the novelty and convenience was probably enough to sell them.
...until they all started to self-destruct

·
Registered
44,112 Posts

I always think of the Saab Sensonic when I think of clutchless H-gate shifters. Never seen one even though I met a guy with one (he was always in his hot, nude-model wife's R32
). Cool technology.
Mein_VW....thanks again for another kickass mag-scan thread http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,561 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Re: The Archive - 1991 Ferrari Mondial t - with Valeo automatic clutch (CarGuru916)

Quote, originally posted by CarGuru916 »

It's in the 3rd page of the OPs scanned article, called Sportomatic http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Re: (windycityvdub)

Quote, originally posted by windycityvdub »
There was a thread on here about some SAABs that had the same type of system...I forgot the name...

Sensonic.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Internal Combustion)

Quote, originally posted by Internal Combustion »
A little known fact is that there was one F40 made with the valeo clutch as well.

Didn't know that.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts