VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Re: The Archive - Acura Vigor GS (MEIN_VW)

When this car came out I found them very attractive and interesting with the 5 cyl. I still think its an attractive car.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts

I like the Vigor.
Somewhere along the line Acura went sideways. It would never occur to me to even consider one when shopping for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by ClownCar »
I like the Vigor.
Somewhere along the line Acura went sideways. It would never occur to me to even consider one when shopping for a new vehicle.

As an ex-Honda fan, I wish I could argue.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Re: FV-QR (CTCORRADOKID)

Kind of amusing to see how much of the switchgear is exactly the same as my Prelude (and every other 1990's Honda product)

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
FV-QR

Did this have real wood? It doesn't look overly glossy and fake.
I miss the names Vigor, Legend and Integra. I also miss their clean, timeless styling

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: FV-QR (jwaters943)

Quote, originally posted by jwaters943 »
Did this have real wood? It doesn't look overly glossy and fake.

It was real wood.

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: FV-QR (Jrod511)

Quote, originally posted by Jrod511 »
Kind of amusing to see how much of the switchgear is exactly the same as my Prelude (and every other 1990's Honda product)

In every market except the US and Canada it was sold as Honda. Why re-invent the wheel?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
22,321 Posts

I still think Acura should've stuck with the I5s.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Re: FV-QR (MEIN_VW)

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

In every market except the US and Canada it was sold as Honda. Why re-invent the wheel?

No real need to do so. Simple, quality, effective switchgear. Though switches from a 1990 CRX seemed out of place in a 2000 Acura RL.

·
Registered
41,822 Posts

The Vigor is one of those cars that received great press but never really caught on with the public. As the article mentions, it was rather BMW or Audi-like with a firm, communicative suspension. Buyers ran directly away from that for the plush and admittedly better-finished Lexus ES.
See also: every new Mazda since the last-generation Protege.

·
Registered
2021 Black GLI Autobahn Manual
1,527 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Jrod511)

hope Honda dose another I5. a k20 + another cylinder would make the SI a bit more competitive power wise with out going the turbo route

·
Registered
26,632 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Fangoriously)

The Vigor was a nice car--and the 5cyl/5speed made for a nice drive. That engine layout really took its toll on interior room. Rear seat legroom was terrible. I remember trying to sit behind my 5'10" friend and having zero room for my legs. I was shocked at how bad it was given how big the car was overall. They are also correct about the driver's footwell; very narrow, causing the pedals to be a bit too close together.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Funny to see them complain about an Acura grille! That one wasn't too bad.
Also amusing that it, in 1991 dollars, wasn't much cheaper than a TSX in 2004+ dollars.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: The Archive - Acura Vigor GS (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
The Vigor is one of those cars that received great press but never really caught on with the public. As the article mentions, it was rather BMW or Audi-like with a firm, communicative suspension. Buyers ran directly away from that for the plush and admittedly better-finished Lexus ES.
See also: every new Mazda since the last-generation Protege.

The Vigor was really the TSX in the making. It just came a bit too early. Honda didn't really properly recognize that buyers wanted something that was cushy and civilized and not communicative like the Vigor. And the ES at that time was a package that really blew away every other automaker's mid-size entry-luxury sedan. Hell, it had the fancy gauge cluster which looks rather silly now to wow people in the showroom. Even to this day, that generation of ES is still a great and durable design. I wonder how the newer generations will hold up in the long run.
I never understood how they mounted the engine/transmission in the Vigor. The engine is longitudinally mounted, and the transmission is transverse to this? If anybody can clarify this I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Re: The Archive - Acura Vigor GS (maskedSONY)

My best friend's wife drives one of these as a hand-me-down from his mother when they got married. The thing is an auto and it shifts like a jackhammer. It wants to chirp the tires and yank the wheel out of your hand badly on the 1-2 shift in particular. Apparently they are known for this.

·
Registered
23,277 Posts
Re: The Archive - Acura Vigor GS (Toaster29)

Quote, originally posted by Toaster29 »
My best friend's wife drives one of these as a hand-me-down from his mother when they got married. The thing is an auto and it shifts like a jackhammer. It wants to chirp the tires and yank the wheel out of your hand badly on the 1-2 shift in particular. Apparently they are known for this.

all older honda automatics do. They shift in a very sporty manner...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Re: The Archive - Acura Vigor GS (Toaster29)

Quote, originally posted by Toaster29 »

My friend had an early 90's Integra automatic that was like this. The whole dash would jump about 2-3" on the 1-2 shift.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts