VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
19,999 Posts
Someone at Chrysler needs to hang this article in every public place in its Auburn Hills headquarters. Everyone from Nardelli to cleaning lady should read this, and be inspired. This sort of attitude made Chrysler a success in the pre-Daimler era. Get small, stay focused, and move fast.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
FV-QR

My mom had a Stratus in the mid 90's and while it wasn't a great car, especially since it spent its first year as a rental, I loved the body styling for some reason and I loved to rev the 2.4 I4 to redline (it was the first Autostick I'd ever driven).

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Thrice)

First summer of driving we visited my grandmother in NH, they had me drive her V6 powered stratus to Maine and back. On the way home we ended up having to take a left hand turn onto a pretty busy 70mph 4-lane highway from a stop sign. Used to driving my mom's anemic achieva, I ended up lighting up the tires(s?) and throwing the atlas at my grandma
We ended up safely merged and ok, but I felt horrible about it, even though it was the first time I laid a patch.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Re: (Krazee)

Quote, originally posted by Krazee »
they need to have more of these races....and then add that homologation regulation that forces them to build street versions

I love how Ford does that with its race-prepped Mustangs you can buy, from factory that come off the same line as the ones sold at the dealers.
FR500S - NASA, Miller Cup

FR500C - Koni Challenge
FR500GT4 - European GT4 Cup

FR500GT - Grand Am Rolex GT
FR500GT3 - FIA GT3

Modified by VWn00b at 11:30 PM 8-5-2008

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Re: The Archive: Dodge Stratus Touring Car (MEIN_VW)

Great article.
I think too many people in here forget that every car company has competent, smart, driven engineers that are hamstrung by questionable management decisions and bean counters.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: The Archive: Dodge Stratus Touring Car (JrodVW)

Do you happen to have any articles about the Stratus/Cirrus itself? I remember driving my friend's around Cleveland and being surprised at how well it steered and handled.
And for those who talk about beans counters: this car wasn't particularly high quality and it was reportedly less expensive to build than the Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron it replaced. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Re: The Archive: Dodge Stratus Touring Car (HerrGolf)

Was no Contour SE.

http://motortrend.automotive.c....html
On-road impressions were colored by the Contour's sportier feel. Surprisingly, with its slightly firmer, more-controlled suspension action, the Ford actually feels tighter and more composed on mountain swervery, and the high level of grip provided by its Firestone Firehawk GTA tires makes elevated cornering speeds feel unintimidating. The Stratus, on the other hand, has the demeanor of a conventional modern sedan, which is to say, it's quite good. The ride is comfortable (softer than the Ford's) and the steering, though secure and linear, lacks the Ford's nimble feel. The other main connection to the machinery, the driver's seat, is superior in the Ford camp. The Contour's front buckets are firm and supportive (like the better import seats), while the Stratus' seats are softer and, most notably, lumpier.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

I was lucky enough to catch those in action. It was a shame such a car went to waste on a series that fell to the wayside. For a domestic manufacturer to step up like they did right out of the box was impressive. I doubt you will see that anymore. I did not read the article, but I remember talk of them going overseas to compete in the BTCC if things workout stateside.

·
Registered
21,613 Posts
Re: The Archive: Dodge Stratus Touring Car (Dal97GLX)

We had a black V6 1996(7?) Stratus...at the time it was head and shoulders above other sedans (in the looks department...everything else was mediocre). It was a hot lookin' car when it came out. Considering the models they recently quit selling (or still sell?) are based on the same exact chassis/etc...lame.

A car that should have had proper redesigns...instead of minor tweaks each year, trying to keep it alive...

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Re: The Archive: Dodge Stratus Touring Car (todras)

Quote, originally posted by todras »
Was no Contour SE.

http://motortrend.automotive.c....html
On-road impressions were colored by the Contour's sportier feel. Surprisingly, with its slightly firmer, more-controlled suspension action, the Ford actually feels tighter and more composed on mountain swervery, and the high level of grip provided by its Firestone Firehawk GTA tires makes elevated cornering speeds feel unintimidating. The Stratus, on the other hand, has the demeanor of a conventional modern sedan, which is to say, it's quite good. The ride is comfortable (softer than the Ford's) and the steering, though secure and linear, lacks the Ford's nimble feel. The other main connection to the machinery, the driver's seat, is superior in the Ford camp. The Contour's front buckets are firm and supportive (like the better import seats), while the Stratus' seats are softer and, most notably, lumpier.

Which is why it hung around a bit longer.

Such practical concerns come up a little short on romance, it's true, but these cars, above all, have a job to do. Working-class sedans like these need the comfort and roominess to accommodate a full load of people and all their trimmings. Practical conveniences and versatility are paramount. That's why in this match-up, the Stratus ES prevails. True, from the driver's seat, the Ford Contour SE is the superior sport sedan, but from the rest of the seats, the roomy Stratus is a better overall car. The Dodge Stratus ES demonstrably delivers more-much more-of what today's family sedan should.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

There's a Stratus with that same paint scheme parked near me..... I always though it was just cheese, but maybe there's something to it
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
I'll try to get a picture today.

·
Registered
2016 Golf Sportwagen
4,150 Posts
The Stratus also became the winningest (is that a word?) radio controlled touring car body of the late-90s and early 2000s.

...and was even updated to the new generation due to popularity:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Re: (AdrockMK2)

Quote, originally posted by AdrockMK2 »

...and was even updated to the new generation due to popularity:

I wouldn't count this one. The only thing it shares with the Stratus is the name. That's what's starting to suck about RC racing. The cars no longer share a resemblance to the vehicles they're supposed to emulate.

·
Registered
2016 Golf Sportwagen
4,150 Posts
Re: (BoostedVeeDub)

Quote, originally posted by BoostedVeeDub »

I wouldn't count this one. The only thing it shares with the Stratus is the name. That's what's starting to suck about RC racing. The cars no longer share a resemblance to the vehicles they're supposed to emulate.

I agree with the 2.0 and 3.0 only sharing a passing resemblance, but Protoform and others are starting to develop tighter specs for TC and GT classes, to get things back to reality.

·
Registered
901 Posts

Chrysler's commitment to this project almost got me to buy a Stratus.
SuperTouring was a cool series I was sad to see not last.
Matt

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: The Archive: Dodge Stratus Touring Car (MaTTK)

The one thing I remember about the NATCC was that there was very little TV coverage at all of the races. IIRC, many of the races were not televised at all. You can't build a following if fans can't watch the races.
I think too that at the time, Touring Cars had a very small following in the US. Today, with a generation that grew up with Gran Turismo on their Playstations and access to the internet, touring car racing is better known to US racing fans than it was in the 1990's.
The NATCC might have a better chance if it were re-launched today. But it would require a commitment from factory and private teams and it would require a TV deal to televise the races.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.